When is it too cold to ride?

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JD wrote:
>> Paladin wrote:
>>> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt
>>> on my ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks!
>>> Toward the end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>>>
>>> Heheh....it's all about the want to...

>> I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to
>> time. My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The
>> cool Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.
>>
>> JD

> this thread is useless without pictures ;-)

I've got some pretty goofy ones I'll find. The space alien on a bike.
Winter geek, that sort of thing.

CDB

JD wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>
>>A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on my
>>ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward the
>>end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>>
>>Heheh....it's all about the want to...

> I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to time.
> My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The cool
> Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.
>
> JD

I'll commute (a short one) down to -20 or -30 but I wouldn't go for a
pleasure or exercise ride in those conditions. For short distances it's
better than messing with the car at those temps. I'm thinking that +5 is
about as cold as I'd want to go for a real ride, if it was sunny.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> JD wrote:
>
>> Paladin wrote:
>>
>>> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt
>>> on my
>>> ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks!
>>> Toward the
>>> end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>>>
>>> Heheh....it's all about the want to...

>> I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to time.
>> My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The cool
>> Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.
>>
>> JD
>>

> I'll commute (a short one) down to -20 or -30 but I wouldn't go for a
> pleasure or exercise ride in those conditions.

These temps just blow my mind. What do you wear for a walk to the store
or a ride to work?

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
The battles we fought were long and hard

G.T. wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:

>>> I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to time.
>>> My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The cool
>>> Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> I'll commute (a short one) down to -20 or -30 but I wouldn't go for a
>> pleasure or exercise ride in those conditions.

> These temps just blow my mind. What do you wear for a walk to the store
> or a ride to work?

Fleece lined Carhartt jeans for walking around. Good for wearing at the
telescope too. I've done astronomy down to -30, but that was standing
in a down sleeping bag.
I need to get a balaclava for riding in colder than 15 degrees or so.
My face just gets too cold.

Shawn

Shawn wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>> MattB wrote:
>>

>>> I'll commute (a short one) down to -20 or -30 but I wouldn't go for a
>>> pleasure or exercise ride in those conditions.

>> These temps just blow my mind. What do you wear for a walk to the
>> store or a ride to work?

> Fleece lined Carhartt jeans for walking around. Good for wearing at the
> telescope too. I've done astronomy down to -30, but that was standing
> in a down sleeping bag.
> I need to get a balaclava for riding in colder than 15 degrees or so. My
> face just gets too cold.

Don't you need to cover all skin when it starts getting below -20?

You sure won't find me out at the telescope when it's 30 below. But I
might bring ours along on one of our Mammoth trips this winter. Last
year we had one clear night out of our trips, the skies were stunning,
but we didn't have a scope yet.

Greg

--

G.T. wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:

> >> These temps just blow my mind. What do you wear for a walk to the
> >> store or a ride to work?

> > Fleece lined Carhartt jeans for walking around. Good for wearing at the
> > telescope too. I've done astronomy down to -30, but that was standing
> > in a down sleeping bag.
> > I need to get a balaclava for riding in colder than 15 degrees or so. My
> > face just gets too cold.
> >

> Don't you need to cover all skin when it starts getting below -20?
>
> You sure won't find me out at the telescope when it's 30 below. But I
> might bring ours along on one of our Mammoth trips this winter. Last
> year we had one clear night out of our trips, the skies were stunning,
> but we didn't have a scope yet.
>
> Greg

The one you have sure is pretty rad. I can think of a few places in
Colorado and Utah where it could be put to good use due to lack of
light pollution.

JD Venus and Mars are alright tonight

G.T. wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>
>> G.T. wrote:

>>> These temps just blow my mind. What do you wear for a walk to the
>>> store or a ride to work?

>> Fleece lined Carhartt jeans for walking around. Good for wearing at
>> the telescope too. I've done astronomy down to -30, but that was
>> standing in a down sleeping bag.
>> I need to get a balaclava for riding in colder than 15 degrees or so.
>> My face just gets too cold.
>>

> Don't you need to cover all skin when it starts getting below -20?

Yeah the problem with riding is wind chill. Scarves are OK, but for
riding I'd prefer the balaclava.

> You sure won't find me out at the telescope when it's 30 below.

I've done it twice. Once doing photometry on an asteroid, with a PMT!
The other was photographing a lunar eclipse. The result was stunning,
but it was damn cold.

> But I might bring ours along on one of our Mammoth trips this winter. Last
> year we had one clear night out of our trips, the skies were stunning,
> but we didn't have a scope yet.

Do it. I've kicked myself a number of times for not brining binocs to
really dark skies (like camping at Gemini Bridges near Moab).

Shawn

Shawn wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
> I need to get a balaclava for riding in colder than 15 degrees or so.
> My face just gets too cold.
>
> Shawn

They're the best. I have two. A thin silk one, good down to about 15
degf at 20mph, but for lower temps, I wear a heavier wool one, or last
week on our coldest day, I wore both. I need to find something in the
middle, like polypro or capilene.

CDB

Another way to keep your face warm when it's not too extreem is a
simple cotton bandana pulled up like you're gonna rob a bank. You can
usually breathe through them, and that keeps you not only warm, but
keeps you from frosting your lungs, that can happen.

I've never ridden below zero, but if I can keep my fingertips warm,
wouldn't hesitate to ride, but I'd take it easy, as I've heard stuff
can break on your bike more readily at those temps.

Winter? Just more variety.

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> Another way to keep your face warm when it's not too extreem is a
> simple cotton bandana pulled up like you're gonna rob a bank.

I've done that on numerous occasions. It's cheap, effective and
normally colorful as well.

JD

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:59:05 -0700, "Paladin" <[email protected]>
scribbled:

>A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on my
>ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward the
>end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>
>Heheh....it's all about the want to...
>
>CDB

Down to -10 or so isn't a big deal with some minor changes (thicker
socks/warmers, face mask if it's a little windy, warmer gloves/mitts),
anything below that and you kind of have to plan ahead.. balaclava,
layers for both torso and legs, maybe platforms + boots, etc. Coldest
I've gone riding in for any reasonable length of time (30-60 minutes)
was -25f, but I regularly commute the half dozen miles to work when
it's between -10 and 10f..

Lately though, the weather's been upside down. Everywhere is record
lows this past week, while here in AK we're enjoying weather in the
high 30's and 40's... wtf, mate! Spring came early, I guess. At least
for another few days.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Wear you say,Buff,Baseball Cap,Hoody, Cuddle
Duds,Timberland socks,Cargo pants,Timber- land Gloves,Hiking sneakers,
Light Ski Jacket,and backpack. On the road no helmet. In the woods
Fullface helmet.

Slash wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:59:05 -0700, "Paladin" <[email protected]>
> scribbled:
>
> >A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on my
> >ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward the
> >end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
> >
> >Heheh....it's all about the want to...
> >
> >CDB

> Down to -10 or so isn't a big deal with some minor changes (thicker
> socks/warmers, face mask if it's a little windy, warmer gloves/mitts),
> anything below that and you kind of have to plan ahead.. balaclava,
> layers for both torso and legs, maybe platforms + boots, etc. Coldest
> I've gone riding in for any reasonable length of time (30-60 minutes)
> was -25f, but I regularly commute the half dozen miles to work when
> it's between -10 and 10f..
>
> Lately though, the weather's been upside down. Everywhere is record
> lows this past week, while here in AK we're enjoying weather in the
> high 30's and 40's... wtf, mate! Spring came early, I guess. At least
> for another few days.
>
> -Slash
> --
> "Ebert Victorious"
> -The Onion

That may all be so, but don't ever discount the fact that you Alaskans
are crazy, too!! I left Anchorage several years ago, and still have a
brother in Fairbanks.

CDB

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> That may all be so, but don't ever discount the fact that you Alaskans
> are crazy, too!! I left Anchorage several years ago, and still have a
> brother in Fairbanks.
>
> CDB

Hey, I was in Fairbanks during the big earthquake in '63. Of course I was
only 3 at the time.......

Gary (air force brat)

G.T. wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:

>>> I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to time.
>>> My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The cool
>>> Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> I'll commute (a short one) down to -20 or -30 but I wouldn't go for a
>> pleasure or exercise ride in those conditions.

> These temps just blow my mind. What do you wear for a walk to the store
> or a ride to work?
>
> Greg

I usually wear my old school Eddie Bauer -30 "Michelin Man" down jacket,
or a nice Patagonia hard shell with several layers on under it. I don't
usually wear long johns unless I plan on being out for a while just
because I find them irritating for just sitting in the office or whatever.
Exposed skin can be a problem, but I use a neck gaiter and hat, and
sometime goggles to cover everything up except a little space for my
nose and mouth.
I really don't like bandannas or masks because they always ice up really
badly and restrict breathing. They also seem to direct my breath over my
goggles/glasses which ices them up. My problem is the tip of my nose,
which has gotten a little frostbite in the past, freezes up easily. I
usually just cover it with my hand if I feel it freezing and go inside
if it's persistent. Usually a warm up or two per outing is all it takes
to keep blood flowing to it.

Matt

JD wrote:
> small change wrote:
>>JD wrote:
>>>The cool Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.

>>this thread is useless without pictures ;-)

> I can't commute and take photos at the same time...

Does it look like this? (look at pic #6). I'm the "floppy-ear guy"
here in Boise in the winter.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=67391

Justen