when is the best time to load up on protein?

BiochemGuy said:
Weightlifting myth? Studies done by Peter Lemon and Mark Tarnopolsky have shown the protein needs for bodybuilders to be 1.8g/kg of bodyweight. Or about .8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Most bodybuilders just round that up to 1 gram of protein per pound.

Arnold Schwarzenegger rounds it down to .5 grams per pound of body weight. Doesn't seem to have substantially limited his ability to build bulk. Protein needs should be looked at realistically. If you were a primative human with only the wilderness around you to feed yourself with, how much protein would you expect to consume daily? Man is not a good hunter by nature so most of your protein would have to come from plant sources. The amount of protein people seem to feel they need isn't realistic once you take man out of his modern world and place him back into the survival struggle of nature. Yet that is the setting from which man sprang. Certainly a body builder is placing different nutritional needs on himself but perhaps the difference isn't as broad as we've been lead to believe.

ric_stern/RST said:
not sure, maybe you have reading issues ;-) the poster i was responding to was suggesting 2 grams per pound of body weight.

and, all the evidence shows that the TdF requires the highest protein intake at ~2 g/kg body mass.

nonetheless, 2g/kg body mass can be met by a normal diet without supplementation

ric
No "reading issues" here. dpvan wrote, "1-2 grams per pound" there is clearly research showing that about one gram per pound is needed and I guess you agree with that. If it was the 2 grams per pound thing you were against then you should have been more clear on that. 1 gram per pound should cover the protein needs of most weightlifters and athletes, but many weightlifters and athletes use steroids which increase the rate of protein synthesis and they probably require more protein. Though, we will probably never know since there arn't any studies on the protein needs of steroid users. I wouldn't be surprised if the protein needs of a weightlifter using anabolic steroids was 2 or more grams per pound.

As far as protein supplements go, ofcourse we don't need them and can get plenty of protein from food. Though protein supplements make it easier for alot of people to be able to get their desired protein intake. Whey protein supplements have other benefits beyond just increasing your protein intake. Whey protein has very powerful anti-cancer and antioxidant effects due to its ability to increase GSH. GSH is probably the most powerful antioxidant in the human body. More and more studies are showing whey's ability to help fight and prevent cancer.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I normally eat tons of carbs before a ride and after i load up on protein. Is this the right way of doing it? When should you load up on protein?

Head over to www.drsquat.com. Yes, they sell all kinds of health products over there, but the owner of the website (a former weight lifting champion) has lots of brochures on the proper way to train and what and when to eat especially for people in competition. (He was an advisor to the WWE and the US Hockey team that won the gold medal back in the '80s and helps train numerous other athletes.)

Trekker2017 said:
Head over to www.drsquat.com. Yes, they sell all kinds of health products over there, but the owner of the website (a former weight lifting champion) has lots of brochures on the proper way to train and what and when to eat especially for people in competition. (He was an advisor to the WWE and the US Hockey team that won the gold medal back in the '80s and helps train numerous other athletes.)
protein is required mainly within the first 2 hours of completing any form of exercise, along with carbs and fat to repair any damage to cells that need to be repaired some 12-15% of your total calorie intake should come from protein, or 1-2g per kg of bodyweight depending upon the type of exercise you have completed 1-1.4 for moderat exercise 1.4 - 1.7 even 2g\per kg body weight per day for strenuous power exercises (weights or sprints and the like).

dpvan said:
Ric - With due respect, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to weightlifting and protein consumption.

I am a serious weightlifter and have been for several years. During that time, I've worked out with the following types of weightlifters:

- Professional Bodybuilders
- NFL Linemen
- Professional, College and HS Strength and Conditioning Coaches
- Successful Competitive Powerlifters

I've spoken with members of each of these groups about appropriate diet for serious weightlifting. The first thing that every single one of them mentioned was a high level of protein consumption. As I mentioned previously, the standard is 1-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight daily.

Now, I'm sure that you know more than people who lift weights for a living, but when dozens of the most muscular and strongest guys I've ever talk with say that protein consumption is the answer, I'm going to listen to them.

As I recall from previous posts, you're big into debunking "myths". I seem to recall that you contend that Lance Armstrong and Chris Carmichael are promoting a myth when they say that cyclists can benefit from weightlifting. Now you're saying that every professional bodybuilder on the planet is promoting a myth when he says you need to eat a lot of protein in order to build muscle.
(Aerobic exercise)1.2g-1.4g protein per kilo body weight .
(anerobic exercise) or weight lifter 1.4-1.7g per kilo body weight of protein per day actually since working without the oxygen supply kills of muscle cells faster.....

ric_stern/RST said:
not sure, maybe you have reading issues ;-) the poster i was responding to was suggesting 2 grams per pound of body weight.

and, all the evidence shows that the TdF requires the highest protein intake at ~2 g/kg body mass.

nonetheless, 2g/kg body mass can be met by a normal diet without supplementation

ric
that would be far to much and more wasted than used.

dpvan said:
Ric - With due respect, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to weightlifting and protein consumption.

I couldn't agree more...

ric_stern/RST said:
like i said provide some solid evidence, and i'll be willing to look at it, but all you want to do is invent fantasy rubbish that you can't provide any evidence based data for. ok?

ric
ficticius ruish. its in a sports (fitness nutrition Book that i am reading at the minute)

3 books state exactly the same:

strength training increases protein intake of 1.4 1.7g/kg is recommended for strength athletes ,and an intake of 1.2 1.4g/kg for endurance athletes.

equivelent to 12 15% body weight.....

the complete guide to sports and nutrition (page 64) 1 exampe...

maybe ill find the rest later, cycled 5 miles to work 5miles home i've done a nightshift. (God i dont know why i bothered since i was struggling making my way home, plus a trip to the velodrome and im very very tired since i have now been awake 24hrs well 10 minutes on the train there and 25minutes n the way home.....................

Hey but routine is routine.................................

I wish i could just cycle everyday without bothing to go to work....

closesupport said:
ficticius ruish. its in a sports (fitness nutrition Book that i am reading at the minute)

3 books state exactly the same:

strength training increases protein intake of 1.4 1.7g/kg is recommended for strength athletes ,and an intake of 1.2 1.4g/kg for endurance athletes.

equivelent to 12 15% body weight.....

the complete guide to sports and nutrition (page 64) 1 exampe...

maybe ill find the rest later, cycled 5 miles to work 5miles home i've done a nightshift. (God i dont know why i bothered since i was struggling making my way home, plus a trip to the velodrome and im very very tired since i have now been awake 24hrs well 10 minutes on the train there and 25minutes n the way home.....................

Hey but routine is routine.................................

I wish i could just cycle everyday without bothing to go to work....

maybe you've been awake too long, but my reply that you've quoted was directed at someone else.

Nonetheless, the data that you have presented isn't wholly correct.

ric

ed073 said:
Google it champ....there are a million studies and articles out there.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jon7.htm

Bodybuilding.com isn't exactly an unbiased source of info. Bodybuilding.com makes money selling protein supplements so ofcourse they are going to reccomend a high protein intake. Since the higher the protein intake, the harder it is to get protein from food alone and people will turn to protein supplements. Gee, a company that sells protein supplements telling people they need alot of protein, go figure. As far as studies go, their are no studies showing a need for a protein intake higher than 2.0g/kg for a natural athlete or bodybuilder. Someone who uses anabolic steroid may need more.

Many of the bodybuilders who experience better muscle growth from a higher protein intake than 2.0g/kg simply were not getting enough calories. So adding extra protein simply increased their calorie intake. 100 grams of extra protein a day would result in 400 extra calories a day. The body needs to be in a calorie surplus for maximum muscle growth. That 400 extra calories a day might have pushed them into more of a calorie surplus which helped muscle growth.

BiochemGuy said:
Bodybuilding.com isn't exactly an unbiased source of info. Bodybuilding.com makes money selling protein supplements so ofcourse they are going to reccomend a high protein intake. Since the higher the protein intake, the harder it is to get protein from food alone and people will turn to protein supplements. Gee, a company that sells protein supplements telling people they need alot of protein, go figure. As far as studies go, their are no studies showing a need for a protein intake higher than 2.0g/kg for a natural athlete or bodybuilder. Someone who uses anabolic steroid may need more.

Many of the bodybuilders who experience better muscle growth from a higher protein intake than 2.0g/kg simply were not getting enough calories. So adding extra protein simply increased their calorie intake. 100 grams of extra protein a day would result in 400 extra calories a day. The body needs to be in a calorie surplus for maximum muscle growth. That 400 extra calories a day might have pushed them into more of a calorie surplus which helped muscle growth.
Jsut an example that I had in my faves...there are lots out there.

ric_stern/RST said:
like i said provide some solid evidence, and i'll be willing to look at it, but all you want to do is invent fantasy rubbish that you can't provide any evidence based data for. ok?

ric

Ok, it's a deal

ed073 said:
Jsut an example that I had in my faves...there are lots out there.
i agree with biochem, i'll support his opinion for a change i think he might just right.

how many calories woud you have to consume perday and how many calories would someone have to be to eating 2.0g\kg body weight if that was supposed to be between 12% and 15% of the total calorie intake....

i know i dont want to have to. but i et they recommend atleast 4% of that protein intake come from protein drinks plus suplements. cause if it all came from meat where would the carbs come from.

closesupport said:
i agree with biochem, i'll support his opinion for a change i think he might just right.

how many calories woud you have to consume perday and how many calories would someone have to be to eating 2.0g\kg body weight if that was supposed to be between 12% and 15% of the total calorie intake....

i know i dont want to have to. but i et they recommend atleast 4% of that protein intake come from protein drinks plus suplements. cause if it all came from meat where would the carbs come from.

you appear to have confused two separate issues.

consuming 12 to 15% (or whatever) of your diet via protein isn't the recommendation if you need to consume ~ 2g/kg body mass. In other words, in more frequently trained/better trained/etc athletes the recommendation for dietary intake is simply measured in g/kg and not as a percentage.

ric