when is the best time to load up on protein?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Mike_Rides_Red, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Arnold Schwarzenegger rounds it down to .5 grams per pound of body weight. Doesn't seem to have substantially limited his ability to build bulk. Protein needs should be looked at realistically. If you were a primative human with only the wilderness around you to feed yourself with, how much protein would you expect to consume daily? Man is not a good hunter by nature so most of your protein would have to come from plant sources. The amount of protein people seem to feel they need isn't realistic once you take man out of his modern world and place him back into the survival struggle of nature. Yet that is the setting from which man sprang. Certainly a body builder is placing different nutritional needs on himself but perhaps the difference isn't as broad as we've been lead to believe.

2. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

No "reading issues" here. dpvan wrote, "1-2 grams per pound" there is clearly research showing that about one gram per pound is needed and I guess you agree with that. If it was the 2 grams per pound thing you were against then you should have been more clear on that. 1 gram per pound should cover the protein needs of most weightlifters and athletes, but many weightlifters and athletes use steroids which increase the rate of protein synthesis and they probably require more protein. Though, we will probably never know since there arn't any studies on the protein needs of steroid users. I wouldn't be surprised if the protein needs of a weightlifter using anabolic steroids was 2 or more grams per pound.

As far as protein supplements go, ofcourse we don't need them and can get plenty of protein from food. Though protein supplements make it easier for alot of people to be able to get their desired protein intake. Whey protein supplements have other benefits beyond just increasing your protein intake. Whey protein has very powerful anti-cancer and antioxidant effects due to its ability to increase GSH. GSH is probably the most powerful antioxidant in the human body. More and more studies are showing whey's ability to help fight and prevent cancer.

3. Trekker2017

Trekker2017 New Member

Head over to www.drsquat.com. Yes, they sell all kinds of health products over there, but the owner of the website (a former weight lifting champion) has lots of brochures on the proper way to train and what and when to eat especially for people in competition. (He was an advisor to the WWE and the US Hockey team that won the gold medal back in the '80s and helps train numerous other athletes.)

4. closesupport

closesupport Banned

protein is required mainly within the first 2 hours of completing any form of exercise, along with carbs and fat to repair any damage to cells that need to be repaired some 12-15% of your total calorie intake should come from protein, or 1-2g per kg of bodyweight depending upon the type of exercise you have completed 1-1.4 for moderat exercise 1.4 - 1.7 even 2g\per kg body weight per day for strenuous power exercises (weights or sprints and the like).

5. closesupport

closesupport Banned

(Aerobic exercise)1.2g-1.4g protein per kilo body weight .
    (anerobic exercise) or weight lifter 1.4-1.7g per kilo body weight of protein per day actually since working without the oxygen supply kills of muscle cells faster.....

6. closesupport

closesupport Banned

that would be far to much and more wasted than used.

7. ed073

ed073 New Member

Incorrect.

8. Jhikers

Jhikers New Member

I couldn't agree more...

9. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

like i said provide some solid evidence, and i'll be willing to look at it, but all you want to do is invent fantasy rubbish that you can't provide any evidence based data for. ok?

ric

10. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Based on what information?

11. closesupport

closesupport Banned

ficticius ruish. its in a sports (fitness nutrition Book that i am reading at the minute)

3 books state exactly the same:

strength training increases protein intake of 1.4 1.7g/kg is recommended for strength athletes ,and an intake of 1.2 1.4g/kg for endurance athletes.

equivelent to 12 15% body weight.....

the complete guide to sports and nutrition (page 64) 1 exampe...

maybe ill find the rest later, cycled 5 miles to work 5miles home i've done a nightshift. (God i dont know why i bothered since i was struggling making my way home, plus a trip to the velodrome and im very very tired since i have now been awake 24hrs well 10 minutes on the train there and 25minutes n the way home.....................

Hey but routine is routine.................................

I wish i could just cycle everyday without bothing to go to work....

12. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

maybe you've been awake too long, but my reply that you've quoted was directed at someone else.

Nonetheless, the data that you have presented isn't wholly correct.

ric

13. ed073

ed073 New Member

14. closesupport

closesupport Banned

well its 3.00am again and i'm up getting ready for work. i have een awake to long 6hrs sleep down

15. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

Bodybuilding.com isn't exactly an unbiased source of info. Bodybuilding.com makes money selling protein supplements so ofcourse they are going to reccomend a high protein intake. Since the higher the protein intake, the harder it is to get protein from food alone and people will turn to protein supplements. Gee, a company that sells protein supplements telling people they need alot of protein, go figure. As far as studies go, their are no studies showing a need for a protein intake higher than 2.0g/kg for a natural athlete or bodybuilder. Someone who uses anabolic steroid may need more.

Many of the bodybuilders who experience better muscle growth from a higher protein intake than 2.0g/kg simply were not getting enough calories. So adding extra protein simply increased their calorie intake. 100 grams of extra protein a day would result in 400 extra calories a day. The body needs to be in a calorie surplus for maximum muscle growth. That 400 extra calories a day might have pushed them into more of a calorie surplus which helped muscle growth.

16. ed073

ed073 New Member

Jsut an example that I had in my faves...there are lots out there.

17. Jhikers

Jhikers New Member

Ok, it's a deal

18. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i agree with biochem, i'll support his opinion for a change i think he might just right.

how many calories woud you have to consume perday and how many calories would someone have to be to eating 2.0g\kg body weight if that was supposed to be between 12% and 15% of the total calorie intake....

i know i dont want to have to. but i et they recommend atleast 4% of that protein intake come from protein drinks plus suplements. cause if it all came from meat where would the carbs come from.

19. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

you appear to have confused two separate issues.

consuming 12 to 15% (or whatever) of your diet via protein isn't the recommendation if you need to consume ~ 2g/kg body mass. In other words, in more frequently trained/better trained/etc athletes the recommendation for dietary intake is simply measured in g/kg and not as a percentage.

ric

20. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

We're waiting buddy.