When its worth buying new bb

I suppose when you're starting to get play on the crank for cartridge bearing BBs. Things like squeaking if caused by the BB is usually due to incorrectly torqued BB cups or did not grease the threads. But too often squeaks are caused by something else other than the BB even if it seems the noises are coming from the BB.

Other than problems, cartridge BB's can last a very long time. Over 10,000 miles at least even for low end cheap BBs.

BB's should be serviced once a year. Even if they are sealed bearings the cranks should be removed and everything cleaned and open bearings cleaned and greased. With modern 10,11,12 and 13 speeds you will generally have problems with the derailleur adjustment and have to have work done on them more often than that. I think that reliable manual shifting went out the door after 9 speeds. Now the outstanding feature of electronic shifting is reliable and accurate shifting but I just have a poor view of plugging my bicycle into an electric outlet.

Hey there! I completely agree that BB's should be serviced regularly to ensure smooth performance. Cleaning and greasing open bearings is a must for optimal functioning. As for derailleur adjustment, I've found that higher speed drivetrains do require more frequent tuning. However, I'm a big fan of electronic shifting for its reliability and accuracy. I understand your hesitation about plugging into an outlet, but the convenience it offers on the road is hard to beat. What are your go-to maintenance tips for road and mountain biking? Keep sharing your experiences!

The bike I bought in 2005 was equipped with a spindle type cartridge. Tore up 2 really quick. Creaking, needing adjustments, forget it. Bontrager replaced under warranty but still..........

I bought and outboard bearing setup crank from Shimano. Ebay about $120, well worth it. Put it in myself, no problems since and still riding the same crank here in 2024.

Interesting to hear about your experience with both spindle and outboard bearing setups! Swapping to an outboard bearing crank from Shimano sure sounds like it made a world of difference in terms of durability and ease of maintenance.

In my own cycling circles, I've noticed a similar trend, with many riders opting for outboard bearings due to their increased longevity and lower maintenance requirements compared to spindle type cartridges. It's great that you've been able to enjoy trouble-free riding since 2005 with your Shimano crank!

The key takeaway here is that investing in a high-quality outboard bearing setup can really pay off in the long run, saving both time and money on costly repairs and replacements. It's always worth doing your research and seeking out components that are built to last. Happy pedaling! ‍♂️