When justice is served

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Powdered Toast, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Seems there's always the recurring thread about how some driver yells at you or sends a you into the
    ditch, and you patiently take it all in stride.

    But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a driver
    getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a vehicle?
    Would like to hear some tales of the little guy getting a fair shake.

    PTM

    Tags:

  2. On 28 Jun 2003 13:43:24 -0700, [email protected] (Powdered Toast Man) wrote:

    >But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a driver
    >getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a vehicle?
    >Would like to hear some tales of the little guy getting a fair shake.

    Be careful what you wish for. You're going to wish you'd never asked. If you've eaten recently and
    have a weak stomach, skip this post entirely.

    This was sometime around 1972.

    My then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were riding our Schwinn Varsity bikes along, returning to our
    apartment complex from a leisurely ride around Lake Murray near La Mesa CA. We were just a block or
    two from home when a carload of kids went by and the front-seat passenger hurled a large McDonald's
    cup full of ice at us. We both got hit. They contined along, and we could hear them laughing. I told
    my girlfriend I'd see her at home and took off after them. Back in the day, I had the legs and
    eventually they had a red light. They'd gotten way ahead of me and I am sure they didn't expect me
    to give chase.

    I was hauling some serious ass as I approached and for some reason one of the kids in the back
    looked back and saw me coming and turned to warn the others. The front-seat passenger wasn't
    laughing as he frantically tried to close his window.

    Too damn late.

    Did I mention I have always had sinus problems, to one extent or another, and that exertion and
    fresh air empty all the old bloody thick green snot out of them?

    I got that little bastard right in the slack-jawed, formerly-smart-assed mouth.

    I kept right on going to the head of the line of cars and turned smoothly into the parking lot of a
    little mall. I knew that, behind the buildings, there was a little concrete pathway along a drainage
    ditch whose beginning was kind of hard to see in a little patch of trees. I heard that dipshit
    driver burning rubber in the mall's parking lot as I cruised around the next building -- my
    apartment complex's garage. The door was open and I just jumped off and pushed the bike in as I
    closed the door.

    Those little asshats must have thought I'd disappeared into thin air.

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Powdered Toast Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Seems there's always the recurring thread about how some driver yells at you or sends a you into
    > the ditch, and you patiently take it all in stride.
    >
    > But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a
    > driver getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a
    > vehicle? Would like to hear some tales of the little guy getting a fair shake.
    >
    > PTM

    4-5 years ago Beat up, older Ford Bronco. The idiot passenger, who had more teeth than IQ (and
    not too many of those) yelled the usual unintelligible crap out the window as they went by. 1/2
    mile later....the were pulled over, and as I passed, I saw the cop hand the driver what looked
    like a ticket.

    Coupla years ago. Nice multilane street, medium traffic. The car coming up behind me is drifting
    slowly to the right. This being a curbed street, there's not much place to move in. She keeps coming
    closer, closer...I look back and see she's on the damn phone. Completely oblivious. As she gets
    right next to me, still gently drifting to the right, I unclip and kick her door. Not too hard, but
    enough to make a noise. It startled her, and as she jerked...the phone went *out the window*. Broke
    into pieces on the street. I guess I'm lucky that she didn't jerk over to the right.

    Sometimes it does work out.

    Pete

  4. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote in part:

    >But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a driver
    >getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a vehicle?

    The first one is justice. Wishing for the second or doing the third makes you not one bit better
    than the moron shouting at you. Unless they pose a danger to your physical safety it's usually best
    to just ignore the idiots or, at most, shout right back at them. I confess that I've shouted back a
    time or two but I'm not particularly proud of it. Also, I never have to hope for a conveniently
    located cop if the offending idiot decides to up the ante by getting out of his car. <g>

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  5. On 28 Jun 2003 13:43:24 -0700, [email protected] (Powdered Toast Man) wrote:

    >But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a driver
    >getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a vehicle?
    >Would like to hear some tales of the little guy getting a fair shake.

    Once for me.

    I had some local relatives of Cletus the Slackjawed Yokel toss a half-full beer can at me from the
    opposite direction. The can went by me at 50-60 MPH. In the past these idiots have spit, screamed,
    and braked checked me. I know where they live, but even at 6'1", 225, I'm not stupid enough to knock
    on their front door. I'm actually pretty used to dumb people driving cars, so I let it go.

    I work for a phone co. and my office is located in a small building were cops frequently meet our
    splicing crews before heading out to road jobs. One morning, months later, I was talking to one of
    the cops, who also happens to be a bicycle cop who frequents the LBS I work at part time.

    I told the story to the officer, who asked for a description of the vehicle, and I added the
    address. No formal complaint was filed.

    I have no idea what he said to them or did, but in the two years since this happened, the yokels
    pass me like well-behaved sunday school students. <G>

    Barry

  6. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    I have to say that while I find the blowing of snot on a person somewhat disturbing, I do applaud
    the excellent use of the word "asshats." I've never heard that before.

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:50:27 GMT, Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 28 Jun 2003 13:43:24 -0700, [email protected] (Powdered Toast Man) wrote:
    >
    >>But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a
    >>driver getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a
    >>vehicle? Would like to hear some tales of the little guy getting a fair shake.
    >
    >Be careful what you wish for. You're going to wish you'd never asked. If you've eaten recently and
    >have a weak stomach, skip this post entirely.
    >
    >This was sometime around 1972.
    >
    >My then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were riding our Schwinn Varsity bikes along, returning to our
    >apartment complex from a leisurely ride around Lake Murray near La Mesa CA. We were just a block or
    >two from home when a carload of kids went by and the front-seat passenger hurled a large McDonald's
    >cup full of ice at us. We both got hit. They contined along, and we could hear them laughing. I
    >told my girlfriend I'd see her at home and took off after them. Back in the day, I had the legs and
    >eventually they had a red light. They'd gotten way ahead of me and I am sure they didn't expect me
    >to give chase.
    >
    >I was hauling some serious ass as I approached and for some reason one of the kids in the back
    >looked back and saw me coming and turned to warn the others. The front-seat passenger wasn't
    >laughing as he frantically tried to close his window.
    >
    >Too damn late.
    >
    >Did I mention I have always had sinus problems, to one extent or another, and that exertion and
    >fresh air empty all the old bloody thick green snot out of them?
    >
    >I got that little bastard right in the slack-jawed, formerly-smart-assed mouth.
    >
    >I kept right on going to the head of the line of cars and turned smoothly into the parking lot of a
    >little mall. I knew that, behind the buildings, there was a little concrete pathway along a
    >drainage ditch whose beginning was kind of hard to see in a little patch of trees. I heard that
    >dipshit driver burning rubber in the mall's parking lot as I cruised around the next building -- my
    >apartment complex's garage. The door was open and I just jumped off and pushed the bike in as I
    >closed the door.
    >
    >Those little asshats must have thought I'd disappeared into thin air.

    Bryan J. Ball Editor/Publisher www.bentrideronline.com

  7. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >[email protected]
    >
    > wrote in part:
    >
    > >But have you had any situations where justice was served -- a conveniently-positioned cop, a
    > >driver getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you, or you managed to egg a
    > >vehicle?
    >
    > The first one is justice. Wishing for the second or doing the third makes
    you
    > not one bit better than the moron shouting at you. Unless they pose a
    danger to
    > your physical safety it's usually best to just ignore the idiots or, at
    most,
    > shout right back at them. I confess that I've shouted back a time or two
    but
    > I'm not particularly proud of it. Also, I never have to hope for a
    conveniently
    > located cop if the offending idiot decides to up the ante by getting out
    of his
    > car. <g>

    There you go again with your neo-Christian values Bob! ;-) There are some cultures in this world
    that think retribution is a solid virtue, which makes him better than the perpetrator.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  8. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    28 Jun 2003 13:43:24 -0700, <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Powdered Toast Man) wrote:

    >a driver getting into a wreck themselves after getting worked up over you,

    I was aggressively and deliberately cut off twice within a few blocks by the same guy in a white
    bulgemobile. I spat on the hood while he was waiting for a red light. He got so excited that he
    accelerated into the back of the 5 ton truck that was stopped just ahead of him. I didn't hang
    around to gloat.
    --
    zk

  9. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    Well mine isn't as good as some of these.

    But a friend of mine and I were riding single file on rolling terrain. And a car with young guys in
    it honked at us, and squeezed us as they passed whilst the occupants chimed in with their obscene
    greetings. They then accelerated and went over a rise.

    What they did not know is that a large tractor towing a very large piece of agricultural machinery
    had just gone over that rise and into a dip. As I recall the agrucultural machinery was impressively
    lethal having all sorts of sharp discs and rakes and stuff maybe a horrower? It did look lethal
    enough to slice and dice darn near anything.

    Well, the car had no more then topped the rise when it went into a panic skid. We could clearly
    hear the shrieking tires and they managed to not hit the machinery. My friend and I nearly fell off
    our bikes what with the laughing and all.

  10. One time recent past: I creamy smash naughty little car that pulled out on me.
    1/ handlebars through the drivers side window
    2/ my leg dented the drivers door.
    3/ I flew over the bonnet (not cuckoo nest?) - no scratchee
    4/ she-driver much crying.
    5/ bonus. I laugh and ride off - servee you bluddy right for no lookeee!!. Jon.

    news:[email protected]... Seems there's always the recurring thread