When the recipe doesn't say what to do with an ingredient...

Father Ignatius

Guest
I was just over at rec.food.recipes, looking at the first recipe under
http://tinyurl.com/95s85 (see below).

What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?

Is it an understood cooking convention that, if the recipe doesn't say what
to do with an ingredient, then it's understood to be a garnish, or what?

Thanks in advance

--
Nat

* Exported from MasterCook *

WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

Recipe By : GREAT CHEFS
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Mousses Frisco

1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water
8 large Egg whites
6 large Egg yolks
1 Tbsp Rum, white
1 lb Chocolate, white, melted
Creme fraiche
Raspberry puree

In a saucepan, heat the sugar and water until the mixture forms a
soft ball. Put the egg whites in the bowl of a mixer, and beat
them until medium stiff (beating first on medium, then on high).
Add the sugar and water (soft ball stage) from the saucepan to the egg
whites and continue to beat briefly until a stiff meringue is formed.
Place the egg yolks in a metal bowl and beat them over heat with a
whisk. Add rum to the egg yolks - still beating over heat. Fold the egg
yolks into the egg whites. Fold the melted chocolate into the egg
mixture. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. Source: Great Chefs of
San Francisco, Avon Books, 1984 Chef: Masataka Kobayashi,
Masa's, Vintage Court Hotel, : San Francisco, CA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In article <[email protected]>,
"Father Ignatius" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was just over at rec.food.recipes, looking at the first recipe under
> http://tinyurl.com/95s85 (see below).
>
> What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?
>
> Is it an understood cooking convention that, if the recipe doesn't say what
> to do with an ingredient, then it's understood to be a garnish, or what?
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Nat

(recipe omitting instruction on what to do with last two ingredients
snipped for brevity)

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know that it's "understood" that ingredients named but not
'used' in the preparation are to be seen as garnishes, but it seems
appropriate here, especially since the rest of the recipe is reasonably
"well written," at least to the extent that the ingredients are listed
in the order in which they are used and named in the "method" portion of
the recipe,

What I would "understand" is that the recipe is poorly written and my
educated guess is that specifics got lost in the translation from paper
text to electronic. I've done that kind of truncating myself when I key
a recipe -- what I wind up makes sense to me but might not always make
sense to anyone else who might read it down the way. If this is how the
recipe appeared in the paper text, it was a poor proofreading job. And
whoever posted it didn't check it for completeness, (If I were editing
I'd want to include the size container in which the recipe should be
chilled -- is it molded, poured to individual serving cups? That kind
of stuff.)

My $.50 worth.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-10-2006, How Much is Enough?

Father Ignatius wrote:

> What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?

I am with Barb on this one: I think the recipe was not "checked" before
publishing: but see this one, it might help...

-= Exported from BigOven =-

White Chocolate Mousse

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Chocolate
Categories: Cream, Chocolate

-= Ingredients =-
10 ounces White chocolate
1/2 cup Hot water
2 1/2 cups Heavy cream
3 Egg whites
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or cherry

-= Instructions =-
Melt chocolate in double boiler. Whisk vigorously while gradually
adding hot water to obtain a smooth paste. Whisk in liqueur or
flavoring and remove from heat. Whip cream until it holds soft peaks;
fold into chocolate mixture and stir only until well mixed. In a
separate bowl, beat egg whites until they are foamy and carefully fold
in the chocolate mixture so that it remains fluffy. Chill and serve in
individual dishes. If prepared for Valentines Day it would look
scrumptious served with some red berries. Note: Prepare White
Chocolate Mousse no more than three or four hours before serving.

"Father Ignatius" <[email protected]> hitched up their
panties and posted news:[email protected]:

> I was just over at rec.food.recipes, looking at the first recipe under
> http://tinyurl.com/95s85 (see below).
>
> What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?
>
> Is it an understood cooking convention that, if the recipe doesn't say
> what to do with an ingredient, then it's understood to be a garnish,
> or what?
>

> Thanks in advance

I'm not sure your thoughts on non included ingredients are correct but in
this case you are correct <G>. The Creme fraiche and Raspberry puree could
most definitely be use as a garnish.

To me, a recipe that does not state what to do with an ingredient is
usually an error the person makes. I've made many errors myself,
especially when using Mastercook ;)

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Thank you for this, but (referring to the last sentence in the recipe below)
what happens if you prepare White Chocolate Mousse more than three or four
hours before serving?

(I just put a batch in the reefer for tomorrow, so I really wanna know.)

cathyxyz wrote:
> White Chocolate Mousse
>
> Recipe By:

> -= Instructions =-
> Melt chocolate in double boiler. Whisk vigorously while gradually
> adding hot water to obtain a smooth paste. Whisk in liqueur or
> flavoring and remove from heat. Whip cream until it holds soft peaks;
> fold into chocolate mixture and stir only until well mixed.

I have made choc mousse, I put heavy cream in a large bowl, I set that
bowl into a bowl of ice while I whip it and it stiffens..meanwhile I am
melting genache...after the genache is melted (but not hot)...

I slowly stirred the genache into the cold stiffening cream...(still
keeping the bowl on ice until all the chocolate is blended in. whip
till fluffy and firm...of course, if you whip it too much it breaks
down and spoils the whole mix...

Father Ignatius wrote:
> Thank you for this, but (referring to the last sentence in the recipe below)
> what happens if you prepare White Chocolate Mousse more than three or four
> hours before serving?
>
> (I just put a batch in the reefer for tomorrow, so I really wanna know.)

I would guess it just has better "texture" if you eat it as soon as
possible.

Hope it comes out okay.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Since there are no amounts included with the creme fraiche and
rasberry puree and they are not used in the actual recipe, they are
implied as a "garnish". Please correct your MC entry to indicate it
for future reference.

``````````````````````````````````

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:51:17 +0200, Father Ignatius wrote:

> I was just over at rec.food.recipes, looking at the first recipe under
> http://tinyurl.com/95s85 (see below).
>
> What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?
>
> Is it an understood cooking convention that, if the recipe doesn't say what
> to do with an ingredient, then it's understood to be a garnish, or what?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Nat
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
>

> Recipe By : GREAT CHEFS
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Mousses Frisco

> 1 cup Sugar
> 1/2 cup Water
> 8 large Egg whites
> 6 large Egg yolks
> 1 Tbsp Rum, white
> 1 lb Chocolate, white, melted
> Creme fraiche
> Raspberry puree

Father Ignatius <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was just over at rec.food.recipes, looking at the first recipe under
> http://tinyurl.com/95s85 (see below).
>
> What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?
>
> Is it an understood cooking convention that, if the recipe doesn't say what
> to do with an ingredient, then it's understood to be a garnish, or what?

I don't know that it is necessarily the convention, but in this case you
are right. See the full recipe at
<http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/mousse/wc-mousse2.html>.

Victor

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:48:28 +0200, "Father Ignatius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thank you for this, but (referring to the last sentence in the recipe below)
>what happens if you prepare White Chocolate Mousse more than three or four
>hours before serving?
>
>(I just put a batch in the reefer for tomorrow, so I really wanna know.)

You did not, I see, inquire as to which wines go with it.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:51:17 +0200, "Father Ignatius"
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons
and opined:

>I was just over at rec.food.recipes, looking at the first recipe under
>http://tinyurl.com/95s85 (see below).
>
>What do you do with the creme fraiche and the raspberry puree?
>
>Is it an understood cooking convention that, if the recipe doesn't say what
>to do with an ingredient, then it's understood to be a garnish, or what?
>

>Thanks in advance

<snip recipe>

My best guess is that the raspberry puree could be drizzled on the
individual serving plate, a serving of mousse carefully put on the
puree, then topped with the creme fraiche. Would make a pretty
presentation.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines