When to buy a new bike?

tumbleweed77

Aug 27, 2006
I was just curious about when people switch from an entry level bike to a better one.... I've heard that a lot of people tend to buy a bike after 10,000 miles.. At my current average of 200 miles a week, that won't take much more than a year.... yes of course I know I can ride this bike into the ground but I know I'll be wanting a better, lighter bike as I gain experience.

one other thing.. how often do you replace a chain?

It's a continuous process for me (15 yrs). I upgrade part by part. Frame, fork, whatever. More fun that way and u become "one with your finely tuned instrument" as well. Most of my TOTAL upgrades have come through folly, such as my x wife takin off with my cannondale, or when I got drunk and stomped my Schwinn to death (learned the stress tolerances of alum that day).

tumbleweed77 said:
how often do you replace a chain?
Replace when it's out of spec. But I understand that a good chain well lubed can last 4000 miles plus.

sogood said:
Replace when it's out of spec. But I understand that a good chain well lubed can last 4000 miles plus.
what makes a chain "good"? my lbs just put a new chain on after 2000 miles (the orginal was stretched i guess...) how DOES it stretch anyhow? I mean, it's metal, not rubber or plastic... i know my old one was stretched though cause it kept jumping up gears without crosschaining and it wouldn't hold any of the lowest gears and it was makin funny grinding noises

tumbleweed77 said:
what makes a chain "good"? my lbs just put a new chain on after 2000 miles (the orginal was stretched i guess...) how DOES it stretch anyhow? I mean, it's metal, not rubber or plastic... i know my old one was stretched though cause it kept jumping up gears without crosschaining and it wouldn't hold any of the lowest gears and it was makin funny grinding noises
Based on my reading on this area, I understand it's the wear that causes the lengthening ("stretch" as we incorrectly describe it). Over time, the plates forming the links groove into the bearing pins as well as enlarging themselves and give the joints additional movements. Given the measurement over many links, this small change becomes readily measurable with a simple ruler.

2000 miles sounds like it's well under a year of riding for an enthusiastic rider.

sogood said:
Based on my reading on this area, I understand it's the wear that causes the lengthening ("stretch" as we incorrectly describe it). Over time, the plates forming the links groove into the bearing pins as well as enlarging themselves and give the joints additional movements. Given the measurement over many links, this small change becomes readily measurable with a simple ruler.

2000 miles sounds like it's well under a year of riding for an enthusiastic rider.
it's been 3 months of riding and loving every mile (I got my road bike the end of june):D what would make one chain different from another? the materials? are there brands that are better than others? how does one lube a chain? so many questions... i think i'm going to have to read up on this once school breaks.

tumbleweed77 said:
it's been 3 months of riding and loving every mile (I got my road bike the end of june):D what would make one chain different from another? the materials? are there brands that are better than others? how does one lube a chain? so many questions... i think i'm going to have to read up on this once school breaks.
There definitely are differences just like every other component. The material used, surface treatment, hardness of material, lubrication etc would all have an impact on the durability. I would expect Campagnolo/Shimano upper end chains which cost up to 3 times that of a no-name brand be a lot more durable. Whether it's up to 3 times as durable would be another matter. The other issue I've learnt is that poor quality chains would also prematurely wear out the teeth on your chainrings and rear cogs. So these should make one think twice about saving a few bucks on a set of chains.

i don't know what brand my lbs is going to put on my bike, but being the shop that it is, i'm pretty sure it's a good brand... how often do you need to adjust the chain? they told me to come back in 1000 miles to check it, so every 1k or every 5 weeks (200m/week)? is this something I can check at home or do you need special tools? I guess as time goes on, i'll start to recognize these things... well, if this new chain lasts for 4000, then i'll be replacing it every 6 months.

i should have named this thread the basics to bike maintanance...

Various methods of checking for chain stretch/wear. Easiest is the go/no-go gauge available for <$10.

E.g.

Any time is a good time
Our LBM had a survey that showed that most cyclists upgrade about every two years regardless of mileage.
Personally i think it’s the amount of time it takes to convince your spouse that you are dropping a wad of cash on another toy.

My chains last about 2000 k's that’s Cross-country Mountain biking. I use the two-chain rotation method.

I agree...:rolleyes:
Anytime is a good time to buy a new bike.

Now perhaps if you were to word it,
"When is it not a good time to buy a new bike?"
You would be able to get a concrete anwser.:)

tumbleweed77 said:
Read Sheldon Brown's piece on chain stretching: http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#stretch

Chains do not stretch, but they do get longer as the pins wear down. How long a chain will last depends on the riding condtions and how clean the chain is kept. When I ride my hybrid on a rails-to-trails path that has a granite screening surface, the chain will only last 1000 miles. The same chain on the same bike on the trainer would easily last 10000 miles. It is just a matter of how much grit gets into the chain to wear down the chain.

Measure the chain from one pin to another pin ten links down. It should be exactly 10 inches. If it is more than 10 1/16 inches, buy a new chain. If it is more than 10 1/8 inches, then you might need to replace the casette, as well as the chain. Measure every few hundred miles, and replace the chain when the measurment tells you to. It is far less expensive to replace the chain more frequently than it is to replace the chain and casette if you leave a worn chain on for too long.

RickF said:
Measure the chain from one pin to another pin ten links down. It should be exactly 10 inches. If it is more than 10 1/16 inches, buy a new chain. If it is more than 10 1/8 inches, then you might need to replace the casette, as well as the chain. Measure every few hundred miles, and replace the chain when the measurment tells you to. It is far less expensive to replace the chain more frequently than it is to replace the chain and casette if you leave a worn chain on for too long.
well, that seems easy enough... i'm good at measuring! I think I'm getting it.... i can't wait to check out a book or two and LEARN!

Depending on where you're located right now might be a good time to upgrade. Lots of shops are discounting 2006 bikes. Veloswap happening soon in some cities as an example. Also lots of racers are selling off their team bikes. Make sure they didn't crash often.

With the chain 3000-5000km should be fine for a road bike. A more expensive chain usually will not last longer it just weighs less (Dura-ace vs 105 one example). If I'd was buying I'd just use the 105 not the DA. Cleaning your chain helps keep your cassette in better shape long term . Less friction/dirt wearing on the cogs.

tumbleweed77 said:
I was just curious about when people switch from an entry level bike to a better one.... I've heard that a lot of people tend to buy a bike after 10,000 miles.. At my current average of 200 miles a week, that won't take much more than a year.... yes of course I know I can ride this bike into the ground but I know I'll be wanting a better, lighter bike as I gain experience.

one other thing.. how often do you replace a chain?

well, i'm not ready to buy a new bike yet.. i just bought my first the end of june... i'd rather learn and make all my mistakes on this bike (2006, specialized dulce) than on one that costs 2-4x that much.. such as crashing (have crashed once, tipped over twice w/ new pedals). in a year or two I will know a lot more and I'll also know a lot more about what I want to be looking for in a bike... so far i know i want something with carbon, something with more than 8 speeds... thats about it... my next bike is going to be my good bike that i'll baby and this bike will turn into my commuting bike (though i commute on it already).

any advise on chain cleaning? what cleans the grim off? do you need to take the chain off? how often?

tumbleweed77 said:
any advise on chain cleaning? what cleans the grim off? do you need to take the chain off? how often?
Get one of these and combine it with diluted citrus degreaser. I bought one that's identical on eBay at almost double the price, and that's still 40% less than LBS.

http://www.torpedo7.com/page/australia/PROD/_specials/UNI-TOO-SCR-780

The trick of using this seemed to be to have newspapers behind the chain and chainring to form a barrier so that the splashes won't get everywhere. Then just use a water out of a hose to gently run it off. Lube after that. It's really quite simple but can take a little time if you are maticulous.

sogood said:
Get one of these and combine it with diluted citrus degreaser. I bought one that's identical on eBay at almost double the price, and that's still 40% less than LBS.

http://www.torpedo7.com/page/australia/PROD/_specials/UNI-TOO-SCR-780

The trick of using this seemed to be to have newspapers behind the chain and chainring to form a barrier so that the splashes won't get everywhere. Then just use a water out of a hose to gently run it off. Lube after that. It's really quite simple but can take a little time if you are maticulous.
woah! that's pretty cool! I'll have to look into getting one for christmas...i'm not worried about time... i'd like to be able to spend a little time on my bike.. after all, it's get used more than my truck. bike = 200 miles a week, truck = 40 miles a week give or take

Simply green is also another option for chain cleaning. You don't have to take the chain off but as mentioned earlier the newspaper placement is quite handy.

tumbleweed77 said:
woah! that's pretty cool! I'll have to look into getting one for christmas...i'm not worried about time... i'd like to be able to spend a little time on my bike.. after all, it's get used more than my truck. bike = 200 miles a week, truck = 40 miles a week give or take