When To Call Out?

m0fugga

May 13, 2015
So I'm pretty new to cycling and brand new to the forum. I've been reading many of the etiquette posts because, basically, I don't want to be clueless when starting out. I know a certain amount of transgressions can be forgiven but I'd like to get past this stage as quickly as possible. I ride in an area where I'm lucky enough to have a fairly lengthy bike path to ride on reducing the coincidence with motor vehicle traffic. However as you can imagine, especially between the hours of 5pm and sunset, it can get pretty crowded. I had a couple of instances where I wanted to call out, but felt I was too far away to not be shouting at them but if I opt to close on them more (which I opted for) I'm too close for them to react. Is there a happy medium? To be fair, I'm out there to get some exercise so I'm going as quickly as I can (16-18ish) and in both cases, these individuals were definitely not interested in exercising, or indeed even eventually arriving at their destination. Two were riding side by side, entirely oblivious to the fact that they exist on a planet occupied by other inhabitants trailing a dog on a leach behind them and the other was a stoner on a longboard weaving back and forth literally taking up the entire path. My closing speed being what it was, I was concerned that if I called out too far off, they either wouldn't hear me, believe I'm addressing someone else, or think I'm yelling at them (which I could really care less if they think that). But obviously, waiting too long isn't working so I'm just wondering if any has some best practices they'd like to share or other insight. Thanks in advance.

If there are two or more people walking taking up the entire path I call out "on your left", now just because you yelled that doesn't mean they will go to their right, some go left, or one will go left and the other right, or they'll go right then left then back to the right again. All that means is if you call out you have to be going slow enough so you can tell which way they're going. A lot of times I don't call out if there's just one person because 9 times out of ten they move in the wrong direction which will cause conflict, so I just sneak by.

If you think something could go wrong, then just go around them. They might think you're a terrible person, but then again they're covering the entire path. Otherwise, call out "on your left" or "on your right", depending upon what the norm is in your area. I'd say it far out enough so that you can adjust if they don't move or if they happen to move in the wrong direction.

I don't know if it's a great idea to just go around them. You don't know if they're gonna swerve to the side and they're a lot less likely to that if they know you're coming up behind them. They might think you're a jerk but they're going to think you're more of a jerk if you cause an accident trying to pass them. If you're worried about that, just call out in an apologetic tone and add thanks on the end.

People are used to getting passed in cars, they should get used to being passed on bikes. I never have a problem when someone passes me when I'm riding slower than they want to. I think it's polite when they call out.

A significant portion of the populace has no idea how to react to calling out. While polite, calling out can result in a random array of behaviors. "On your left" can be especially confusing, many think you want them to move left.

Each time I approach traffic travelling in the same direction, I size up the other. If the person appears to be with the program, I will call out and pass without slowing much. If the other(s) appears squirrelly or have headphones in, I coast and with my hands on the brake call out "Passing" and wait for a reaction before making a move to pass. If the can clear the group by going wide, many time I will pass without announcing.

With young children, I slow, say "hello" and only pass when it is clearly safe.

Hey thanks for the responses! Over the past several days since I posted this, what I ended up doing was calling out if I felt it's warranted. Like a couple of you mentioned, if it's just a lone pedestrian and the path is plenty wide, I'll ride by allowing for plenty of room. I realized that, in an effort to keep my pace up, I probably wasn't slowing enough when there are two or more walkers/riders. Now I slow down a bit more because my pace is clearly not worth hurting someone or someone's dog and/or getting hurt myself. When I call out, I try to be as polite and courteous as possible and if they still take offense, it's not my problem. I've also noticed that switching gears when I'm still a pretty good ways away seems to work about 2/3's of the time. Anyway, it's good to have a place to come to and get some pro tips. Thank you all for responding!

Before calling out anyone, it's best to get a feel about what type of people they are. If it's some aggressive young punks, then it's best to avoid them all together, as the last thing you want to do is get into a fight...and lose. Only call out people that seem civil, and in a worst case scenario you can take on, if it ever comes down to a physical altercation.

Pardon me if I sound weird with this comment. I have been seeing in several threads this "call out" of a rider. I'm quite amused because over here, it seems that riders only do that "call out" when they are riding in groups. I haven't see or heard a biker or cyclist do that when riding alone. When the road is crowded, an individual rider stays behind or overtakes when the space is very safe, that means no need to call out.

Froze pretty much hit the nail on the head. A simple "on your left" is enough to suffice. You don't want to sound like a lunatic, so just give them a heads up as you approach close enough where your don't have to shout like a maniac.

If I'm riding somewhere with pedestrians or on trails, I always make sure to have my bell on the bike. You can start dinging the bell from 20-30 feet away, not loudly or obnoxiously, just in a "Here I am" sort of way. Usually that gives people time to either turn around and adjust or swerve to one side of the trail/sidewalk so I can take the other side.

I find that when I call out something like "on your left", as an above commenter suggested, people get confused and momentarily forget what "left" means. I know when I'm on foot and overtaken by a bike, their "On your left!" does nothing but confuse and terrify me, especially if I'm lost in a conversation or daydreaming at that point.

Bells all the way!

I used to call out to people and rather than moving over or sharing the trail, they would stop and look, thus causing an accident. So, as others have done so as well, I invested in a bell that I keep on my bike. It is loud enough to let them know I'm coming up behind them, but not to loud to where they get panicked and confused. I have been that panicked and confused person before, and I too had to learn the basic road etiquette. it's always a learning experience, but that's what helped me thus far.