When to get a massage

Yonni

May 1, 2010
I'm doing a tough ride on Saturday and was thinking of getting a deep tissue or "sports" massage before hand. Has anyone experimented with massage before an event and when would be the optimum time?

I will be getting one after the event but in terms of preparation am I better off getting it early in the week or as close to the event as possible? Friday will be travelling to the event so Thursday evening is the latest I could get it done.

I don't know about the optimum time to get a deep massage, but I do know that the worst time to ask for a deep massage is when you're in you're in prison.

Does that help?

No rep points for that answer but it did make me smile. How did you know I was typing this from my cell?

Yonni said:
No rep points for that answer but it did make me smile. How did you know I was typing this from my cell?

I could tell from the font you used. You're not getting massaged right now, are you? Dry massages have to be the worst.

As for the serious side of your question, I think the best time for a pre-event massage would be as close to the day of the event as possible. I've had big massages (hour long) done quite a few times, but they were always after an event (motorcycle race or after a big climbing trip). Frankly, I don't know how much, if any, benefit can be had from a pre-event massage, short of easing soreness or stiffness.

I'm a big fan of the hour long deep tissue massage. I am probably a bit over-muscled for a cyclist - to look at my legs you'd think I could produce awesome power but the engine doesn't match the bodywork unfortunately. I come from a line of stocky Spanish hill farmers but I live an easy life here in Scotland. The upshot is I get tight muscles quite easily so the massage would just be to loosten everything off, from the shoulders down, before the event. With that in mind I thought maybe doing it early in the week and then getting a couple of short last minute rides in to tune up again might be a good option.

Yonni said:
I'm a big fan of the hour long deep tissue massage. I am probably a bit over-muscled for a cyclist - to look at my legs you'd think I could produce awesome power but the engine doesn't match the bodywork unfortunately. I come from a line of stocky Spanish hill farmers but I live an easy life here in Scotland. The upshot is I get tight muscles quite easily so the massage would just be to loosten everything off, from the shoulders down, before the event. With that in mind I thought maybe doing it early in the week and then getting a couple of short last minute rides in to tune up again might be a good option.

Is there such a thing as an easy life in Scotland? Don't you have to carry your bags of shopping up the cobbles of Victoria St and then feed you on deep fried Mars Bars and pizza?

I hear that big bottles of Buckfast will loosen things up pretty quickly ;)

Yonni said:
Has anyone experimented with massage before an event and when would be the optimum time?

A sports massage can be quite rigorous and you can be sore for a few days afterward. I would want 2 days of "recovery" after a true sports massage, but it really depends on the masseuse and the intensity of the massage you agree upon. Best bet would be contacting the masseuse for their recommendation.

I'd almost decided not to bother and just concentrate on yoga & pilates this week but after tonight's hard effort I think I'll book myself in for Wednesday. Tha should loosen me up after my last tough ride but give me enough time to recover from the massage.

Is there such a thing as an easy life in Scotland? Don't you have to carry your bags of shopping up the cobbles of Victoria St and then feed you on deep fried Mars Bars and pizza?

I don't live in the city centre anymore and avoid it when I can. Especially in August during the festival unless I'm going to see a show. last time I had a deep fried Mars Bar it was a gift from the chef at Hotel du vin as we were there with a friend of his. Very nice it was too!