When to replace a tyre?

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
I have a couple of Schwalbe Marathon tyres on my bike. Recently, I received 1 puncture a day for three days! After very carfeully checking the tyre (again) on the third day I found a very slim splinter of glass in the tyre (not more than .5mm wide at the widest point and deep enough to go through the tread and somehow bypass the kevlar belt. I think it was the same piece of glass that punctured the tube each time til I found it.

I've since removed the offending item and the punctures appear to have stopped. Having looked closely at the tyres I notice that there are a couple of areas where there are small cuts and pin holes in the tyre. I know that tyre wear is a fact of life but there is plenty of tread on the tyres, it's just a couple of small cuts that make me worry a little.

Am I being neurotic? When do I decide that it's time to replace the tyre? I've only had it a couple of months!

Originally posted by John Picton
I have a couple of Schwalbe Marathon tyres on my bike. Recently, I received 1 puncture a day for three days! After very carfeully checking the tyre (again) on the third day I found a very slim splinter of glass in the tyre (not more than .5mm wide at the widest point and deep enough to go through the tread and somehow bypass the kevlar belt. I think it was the same piece of glass that punctured the tube each time til I found it.

I've since removed the offending item and the punctures appear to have stopped. Having looked closely at the tyres I notice that there are a couple of areas where there are small cuts and pin holes in the tyre. I know that tyre wear is a fact of life but there is plenty of tread on the tyres, it's just a couple of small cuts that make me worry a little.

Am I being neurotic? When do I decide that it's time to replace the tyre? I've only had it a couple of months!
Tiny cuts and holes mean nothing. Bigger cuts that damage the casing and cut cords are what you worry about.

Agree. I've run them with some fairly long cuts in the tread (up to a cm) with no problem. Even if the casing has a small puncture, that doesn't seem to be a problem either; just repair the tube and ride.

On the other hand, if the casing is cut through enough that you can see the tube when you inflate, then you're pretty much done. I've tried to patch the tire from the inside, or use a "boot" on these cuts without success.

Had to throw out a new Michelin Pro Race this spring after a 1 cm cut through the casing on the second ride.....that really hurts a cheapskate like me.

Dan

Well, none of my cuts are quite that big so I'll run them and see what happens. Thanks all for your advice.