When to start LT intervals?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by 9606, Mar 8, 2004.

1. 9606

9606 New Member

I would like to start getting ready to do 2x20 LT ints. My plans is to work up to it, doing two ints per session, two sessions per week.
    I will start with 3x10 at LT less 20watts. One week (four ints)
    Then 3x10 at LT less 15. One week
    Then 2x15 LT less 15, One week
    Then 2x15 LT less 10, Two weeks
    Then 2x15 LT less 5, Two weeks
    Then 2x15 LT, Two weeks
    The 2x20 at LT, ??? weeks.
    Assuming my schedule is sensible, for how many weeks should I do 2x20 at LT before an "A" event?

Thanks for any advice.

Tags:

2. 9606

9606 New Member

I goofed - the first two weeks will be 6 ints/week.

3. beerco

beerco New Member

I wouldn't bother with the ramp up time wise. Go ahead and start with a 2x20 at whatever power you can handle. If you can't finish the 2x20, you've over estimated your threshold.

I'm just finishing up 14 weeks of threshold work (had 12 scheduled but got sick in the middle there). While I'm not really planning a peak this year, I'm now switching to VO2 max work about 10 weeks prior to a sort of A event (really I'm trying for a points series, but the A race is the hardest (hilliest) race in the series).

I'll still be doing one 2x20 or 1x30/week to maintain LT though.

The general consensus is that 12weeks of threshold is usually about as much as you want to do in one spell.

4. 9606

9606 New Member

Thank you for your input.
    I have nine weeks scheduled before reaching 2x20 at LT.
    Your suggestion of 12 weeks (at LT) seems like a long time to be doing LTs - I may lose interest or get distracted by too many races. So I will reduce your 12 to 9. Pretty scientific, eh?

5. beerco

beerco New Member

Nothin' wrong with your methods of determining the duration. Boredom is definitely a factor. I couldn't even start my second 20 yesterday because I couldn't bear the thought of doing it :eek: !

No biggie though as I said. Today I'm doing 6x5s in zone 5

6. velomanct

velomanct New Member

is it really neccessary to do 2 days of 2x20s a week for LT improvent? i haven't been doing any of them yet, just cruise intervals which are 4x20min at 20watts/5bpm below LT, and 90min tempo workouts. i have noticed a 20watt increase in LT since December.
    will i notice a dramatic increase in LT by doing 2x20s, 2 days a week, compared to just 1 day a week? is it worth it to add that extra day?

7. 9606

9606 New Member

Velo - I am surprised you can increase LT by 20 watts in 2+ months by doing work at 20w below LT. What was the protocol to your most recent test? (How 'bout a moderator weighing in on this - they seem very qualified in this area.)

8. gonzalovilaseca

gonzalovilaseca New Member

I've increased my 40k power by 30 watts in two months without ANY intervals, just by riding in Z2 and some Z3. I was way out of form and I think due to this fact I have improved without intervals. Im think that when you are fit there is no other way for improving 40k power than Z4 intervals

9. velomanct

velomanct New Member

it was more of an educated guess. i wasn't in great shape when i started that training, plus i had rarely done that type of structured workouts before.

10. beerco

beerco New Member

I'm not so surprised. The key is overloading the aerobic system. The further from threshold you are, the more time you have to spend to overload. Perhaps 4x20 at tempo is as good as 2x20 at threshold.

I've also seen about a 10% improvement in my threshold power over the last 3 months, but I've only been doing 2 to 3 2x20s a week (about 4 to 5 hours a week TOTAL on the traininer - all of it quite intense though).

To answer velo's quetion as to whether he'd se a drastic improvement by doing 2x20's instead, I don't think he would. What he would find is that he's spending 2 hours less on the bike and getting the same fitness benefit.