When to stop training before a race

Mike_Rides_Red

Oct 30, 2003
I am going to be in a race in a few days and was wondering when I should stop doing training rides so i will have fresh legs.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I am going to be in a race in a few days and was wondering when I should stop doing training rides so i will have fresh legs.

do an easy ride 2 days b4 your race, just to tell yourself that you are ready to go... no training one day b4 the race...

I don't stop riding before a race, depending on the race my riding will alter.
If it is a TT or a single stage race then i will do this routine the day before. It goes as follows:

20mins @ L1
Work up to L2 for 15mins
Hold L3 for 5mins
Back to L1 for 5mins.

L1 is an easy recovery
L2 Race pace
L3 is TT pace
L4 is interval training

I find that gives me fresh legs for the race. I have tried having a day off etc but it didn't work.

If i am in a stage race then the riding will change for several weeks before.

Whatever works for you is the best option

wardie2000 said:
I don't stop riding before a race, depending on the race my riding will alter.
If it is a TT or a single stage race then i will do this routine the day before. It goes as follows:

20mins @ L1
Work up to L2 for 15mins
Hold L3 for 5mins
Back to L1 for 5mins.

L1 is an easy recovery
L2 Race pace
L3 is TT pace
L4 is interval training

I find that gives me fresh legs for the race. I have tried having a day off etc but it didn't work.

If i am in a stage race then the riding will change for several weeks before.

Whatever works for you is the best option

Agreed that outright time off isn't the best for me. You'd THINK it would be, but nope. Interesting thing is that I start off feeling a little sluggish if I haven't taken the day or two off, but after warmup, I generally feel better than if I had taken the day off. Time off must start some kind of more extended recovery process.