When to transition from weight training

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Billy Boone, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    During the offseason (winter months - November - Febuary), I cut back on my running, biking,
    swimming a bit (distance and intensity) and add in some weight training (squats, leg lifts, lungs,
    etc) - twice a week. At what point should I begin to transition away from weight training and begin
    building up my base aerobic fitness (increase distance and intensity)?

    I realize this is a subjective question ... but wanted to get some opinions. Between family, work,
    training ... I simply don't have enough time to do everything I'd like and want to maximize my time.

    BBB

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Billy Boone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > During the offseason (winter months - November - Febuary), I cut back on
    my
    > running, biking, swimming a bit (distance and intensity) and add in some weight training (squats,
    > leg lifts, lungs, etc) - twice a week. At what point should I begin to transition away from weight
    > training and begin building up my base aerobic fitness (increase distance and intensity)?
    >
    > I realize this is a subjective question ... but wanted to get some
    opinions.
    > Between family, work, training ... I simply don't have enough time to do everything I'd like and
    > want to maximize my time.

    If triathlon performance is your goal, then I'd say that the answer is "as soon as possible".

    Andy Coggan