When was the last time you cooked *from a cookbook*?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >
    > Jill

    Last night I made walnut, golden raisin, cardamom bread in my bread machine
    from the Ultimate Bread Machine book.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >
    > Jill

    Do you mean "cookbook versus the web", or that you don't consult ANY
    external source for specific recipes?

  4. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    I use my cookbooks for baking, where the proportion of ingredients and
    method is often quite critical. Also, relatively speaking, I don't bake as
    much, so my memory isn't as good there. Bread is an exception in my baking,
    as I do that more frequently and the proportions aren't so important there.

    For all the normal cooking, I'm just like you. I use the cookbooks for
    ideas, or perhaps for quick reference so I don't leave something out I
    intended to put it. Sometimes I'll refer to a recipe before going to the
    store to complete my shopping list, but I won't actually look at it again
    while making the dish. I certainly don't follow recipes step by step very
    often. Even on new recipes, I'm prone to modifying them on the fly based on
    personal preferences and past experiences. I do know better not to do that
    with baking though! ;-)

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  5. modom

    modom Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:30:11 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    >followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
    proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of South
    Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it makes a
    heluva crepe.

    modom

  6. Elisa

    Elisa Guest

    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >
    > Jill

    I just showed my 16-year old daughter my Betty Crocker cookbook and
    explained to her how being artistic (she is) translates to the kitchen. I
    showed her how as a kid I was fascinated by the pictures that show how to
    make a lattice pie crust, a heart-shaped cake with a round and a square pan,
    etc. She seemed interested, but so far I haven't seen her in the kitchen.
    I told her to just get crazy and experiment!

    I used to always use the cookbook, then I worked in an Italian restaurant
    (very high end) for about 9 years. I learned to just 'wing it' from
    watching the chefs there. I hardly ever use the cookbook. Last time I
    consulted the cookbook was for stuffed cabbage rolls. I had a craving and
    couldn't remember what I put in there. Oh, and I forgot to cook the rice
    first, LOL!

    Elisa

  7. S'mee

    S'mee Guest

    One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    Not usually a cookbook, exactly, but I do consult my copies of
    my "regular" recipes. I'm great for remembering what ingredients
    I need, but not so good on quantities.

    I like to look at cookbooks for ideas, too; and they make
    interesting reading sometimes. I got two good ones from my sib
    this week: a Cutco cookbook from 1961, and a 1975 publication
    called "American Food: The Gastronomical Story"...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  8. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    wrote:

    >Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    >followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    Right before Christmas. I wanted a recipe to use up some applesauce
    and found a nice applesauce cake in one of my cookbooks.

    Sue(tm)

  9. modom wrote:

    > I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
    > proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of South
    > Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it makes a
    > heluva crepe.

    I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.

    Crash and I have been going through the recipes in the diet book and in
    the cookbook. Everything looks so delicious! No weird ingredients.
    Some *expensive* ingedients, but we'll try some of those a few at a
    time.

    Carol, going shopping tonight

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    The Bubbo wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a
    >> cookbook and followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Last night I made walnut, golden raisin, cardamom bread in my bread
    > machine from the Ultimate Bread Machine book.

    Okay, bread is different. When I used to bake bread I'd follow the recipe
    to the letter because if I didn't something would go wrong.

    Jill

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "wff_ng_7" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    >> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    Anytime I bake. Which is, luckily, rare.

    > For all the normal cooking, I'm just like you. I use the cookbooks for
    > ideas, or perhaps for quick reference so I don't leave something out I
    > intended to put it.

    It's pathetic, I almost always do that. I have to. It seems I am
    hardwired to forget one ingredient, something different every time.
    This week my quiche has no onion. Other times my meatloaf
    will have no Worchestershire. Hello. How could I forget?

    So I just pull out a recipe and leave it out to check. Proportions
    are never the same. Rarely still are actual measurements.

    I think that's true of just about everyone?

    nancy

  12. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a
    >> cookbook and followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Do you mean "cookbook versus the web", or that you don't consult ANY
    > external source for specific recipes?

    Okay, cookbook *or* web. I consult either for ideas but I can't recall the
    last time I followed anything step by step as it appeared in written form
    (bread being the exception).

    Jill

  13. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >>> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a
    >>> cookbook and followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >>>
    >>> Jill
    >>>

    >> Last night I made walnut, golden raisin, cardamom bread in my bread
    >> machine from the Ultimate Bread Machine book.

    > Okay, bread is different. When I used to bake bread I'd follow the recipe
    > to the letter because if I didn't something would go wrong.
    >
    > Jill

    I can't bake without a recipe, I have no good feel for it. Even last night I
    thought I'd add more raisins and walnuts than the recipe called for and the
    bread machine couldn't incorporate all the raisins so some got burned on the
    outside of the bread.

    Before that, I made bouillabaisse from the New York Times cookbook, the recipe
    my mom sent me.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  14. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >
    > Jill

    Funny you would ask this question after a girlfriend and I were talking
    about Martha Stewar as a newlywed went page by page through a Julia Child
    cookbook How my friend and I probably haven't done 5 recipes out of any one
    cookbook, yet we have so many. We decided this year to pick a cookbook and
    do as many recipes as we could out of it. I was fussing around trying to
    decide which one to start with when my new ovens were installed. With it
    came a beautiful full color cookbook. As I looked through it I thought this
    is the one I'm starting with. It will help me get to know my new convection
    oven.

    Lynne

  15. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >
    > Jill

    At Christmas time. I made a gingerbread cake. Like you I'm not a real
    cookbook by the book person but I do like browsing through cookbooks for
    ideas much like watching the food network :)

  16. Tara

    Tara Guest

    wrote:

    >Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    >followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    December 29 -- I made sour cream chocolate cupcakes for my boys' first
    birthday. The recipe is from the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. I checked
    it out from the library special for the occasion. The cupcakes were
    very good -- moist and dense and chocolately.

    I need a recipe to follow when I bake. I can't guesstimate the
    proportions.

    Tara

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "S'mee" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I like to look at cookbooks for ideas, too; and they make
    > interesting reading sometimes.

    Same here ... people (you know who you are) can make fun all
    they want, I like to see what people had for dinner/whatever ...
    Oh! I'll make that tomorrow! Or sit down with a cookbook or
    two until something strikes me.

    nancy

  18. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    I made some brownies for Christmas. I consulted the cookbook because when I
    bake I follow recipes. I also consulted my Laura Secord Cookbook on
    Christmas to check the cooking time for my turkey. I faked the stuffing. I
    consulted a cookbook about a month and a half ago when I was making CHicken
    Chasseur. I was missing some of the ingredients in the recipe, so I ended up
    putting the book away and faking it.

  19. NancyJaye

    NancyJaye Guest

    Two hours ago... I made a banana nut bread.
    I'm not much of a cook, but I love to eat :) When I do cook, I HAVE to
    follow a recipe.

    NancyJaye

    "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:30:11 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    >>getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    >>followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

    > December 29 -- I made sour cream chocolate cupcakes for my boys' first
    > birthday. The recipe is from the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. I checked
    > it out from the library special for the occasion. The cupcakes were
    > very good -- moist and dense and chocolately.
    >
    > I need a recipe to follow when I bake. I can't guesstimate the
    > proportions.
    >
    > Tara

  20. Roberta

    Roberta Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
    > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
    > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
    >
    > Jill

    I almost always use a recipe - I like to try a lot of different things
    but really know very little about "winging it" My mother has always
    been a HORRIBLE cook - so I only actually started trying to cook in my
    20's. There are some things I only glance at a recipe for - I usually
    at least have to check what temperature to set the oven for..that sort
    of stuff. I will often substitute ingredients or vary amounts (more
    garlic *G* no green peppers) but yeah - a recipe always

    Roberta (in VA)