When was the last time you cooked *from a cookbook*?

Ophelia wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> modom wrote:
>>>
>>> I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
>>> proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of
>>> South
>>> Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it makes a
>>> heluva crepe.

>> I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.
>>
>> Crash and I have been going through the recipes in the diet book and
>> in
>> the cookbook. Everything looks so delicious! No weird ingredients.
>> Some *expensive* ingedients, but we'll try some of those a few at a
>> time.
>>
>> Carol, going shopping tonight

> If you mean a french crepe it is dead easy. I can tell you that from
> the top of my head:) If you mean buckwheat or whatever then I will be
> no help at all:)

I would imagine the process is the same. Crepes only *sound* difficult.
They are really just very thin pancakes :)

Jill

Phred wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
>> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a
>> cookbook and
>> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

> I don't think I have *ever* followed a recipe from a cookbook as such.
> I have used those "manuals" that come with microwave ovens, fry pans,
> etc. from time to time. (And followed them fairly closely too,
> especially in terms of times and temperatures, because of
> unfamiliarity with the technology involved.)
>
> I also print out stuff from RFC, and use that as the basis for cooking
> a meal or whatever -- but I almost always make adjustments due to lack
> of a specific ingredient, or the desire for more of one thing and/or
> less of another. [And I print out one hell of a lot more "interesting
> recipes" than I'll ever get round to making!]
>
> I notice that many replies to your "poll" refer to baking. I baked
> biscuits once about 40 years ago. The exercise was a failure, so I
> haven't repeated the process since. :)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

I almost wrote a line in my original post excluding baking; I realize now I
should have. Baking is, of course, much different and exacting than
throwing something together on the stove-top or making a hotdish (you
listening, Barb & Carol? I used the word Hotdish <G>)

Thanks for your input!

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
>
> Jill

i cannot recall the last time i opened a cookbook and followed a recipe
step by step.

In article <[email protected]>,
cathyxyz <[email protected]> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
> > getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
> > followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
> >
> > Jill
> >

> The other day - when I followed Om's recipe for the stuffed mushrooms ;)
>
> I also try to follow the recipe when making something for the first
> time. After that, I do my own thing...

Good policy! <lol>
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> > "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.
> >>
> >> Crash and I have been going through the recipes in the diet book and
> >> in
> >> the cookbook. Everything looks so delicious! No weird ingredients.
> >> Some *expensive* ingedients, but we'll try some of those a few at a
> >> time.
> >>
> >> Carol, going shopping tonight

> > If you mean a french crepe it is dead easy. I can tell you that from
> > the top of my head:) If you mean buckwheat or whatever then I will be
> > no help at all:)

> I would imagine the process is the same. Crepes only *sound* difficult.
> They are really just very thin pancakes :)
>
> Jill

I think the trick with those is the pan and cooking them rather than
with the recipe. ;-)

One more reason I miss mom!
She made great Crepes! I've never had the nerve to try it.

The pre-made ones from the store suck. :p
--

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> modom wrote:
>
>>I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
>>proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of South
>>Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it makes a
>>heluva crepe.

> I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.
>
> Crash and I have been going through the recipes in the diet book and in
> the cookbook. Everything looks so delicious! No weird ingredients.
> Some *expensive* ingedients, but we'll try some of those a few at a
> time.
>
> Carol, going shopping tonight

A tip for the more expensive ingredients especially for a dish you might
not make again - see if there is a bulk food section in your grocery
store or an actual bulk food store (eg. Bulk Barn) then buy only what
you need. I've done this for things like pine nuts, spices, and other
types of nuts when trying out a new dish. Then if I like the dish, I
know I can always get more. Not only will it save money but you won't
have all that extra packaging to worry about. Oh, and store your dry
pruchases in glass jars so they stay fresh.

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> modom wrote:
>>
>> I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
>> proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of South
>> Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it makes a
>> heluva crepe.

> I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.

My experience with making crepes: (Years ago)

I bought a couple of different sizes of (crepe) pans to use for crepes. I
experimented with the amount of crepe batter I poured into the pan by using
1/4 cup measurement cups & other measurement cups, and ounces. I
experimented with the heat of the pan (by turning up/down the gas burner).
Finally after making a crepe, we decided we actually don't care that much
for crepes.

In the past year, I decided to make a crepe. I had on hand what I thought
would be the perfect size crepe pan and an electric stove (not gas). I
experimented with the crepe batter (only two recipes, as I recall). Maybe
one crepe turned out edible. DH was standing by my side helping to
determine what to change, what to do, how to do it. Absolutely failure. To
Hell with Crepes. I haven't ordered one in a restaurant in years, why should
I want to know how to make them again!

Almost the same thing is my case with tortillas. I bought a tortilla press
AND a tortilla electric press/maker. I won't mention the times I tried
making the masa dough for tortillas. (DH always at hand with suggestions).
Now just the other day I brought out the electric tortilla maker to use for
'heating' ready made tortillas as I found a source for tasty hand-made
tortillas. Thick - almost like gorditas. So I'll try it for only heating
tortillas.

I'm no longer 'a-scared' of making crepes or tortillas. I just don't give a
damn about making them anymore.
Good luck and have as much fun as I did, but DON'T SPEND MONEY on the
project.
Dee Dee

"Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
>> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
>> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
>>
>> Jill

> Sunday, as a matter of fact. I made a key lime cake that was a big hit
> with one and all at a neighborhood gathering.
>
> Cindy, who has to justify all of these cookbooks somehow
>
> --

Cindy, I know you're kidding, but you never have to justify all those
cookbooks. You deserve them!
Dee Dee

[email protected] wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>>Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
>>getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
>>followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
>>
>>Jill

> i cannot recall the last time i opened a cookbook and followed a recipe
> step by step.

I hear you on that one even for baking. I *can't* follow a recipe! I
always have to tinker just to see what happens. You know tweak this or
that or add a bit of whatever. I like Michael Smith's show on food tv -
cooking without a recipe. DDIL wanted my recipe for spaghetti sauce
and was quite disappointed when I told her I didn't have one. See, I
learned how to make spaghetti sauce from my DMIL by watching her. I now
make it in huge batches to home can, freeze, or as a sauce for lasagne.
So she's coming down to learn how to make it the same way I learned -
by watching :) I'll teach her a few other family favourites as well
since she really needs domesticating! The poor girl can barely boil
water. DD has been teaching her a few tricks and DS is a good cook in
his own right having grown up in the kitchen. We got her a Betty
Crocker cookbook for Christmas because she will be the type to use a
cookbook until she gets more comfortable in the kitchen. My cookbooks
end up being motivational or *that sounds good* things much like food tv.

"Phred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
>>getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
>>followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

> I don't think I have *ever* followed a recipe from a cookbook as such.
> I have used those "manuals" that come with microwave ovens, fry pans,
> etc. from time to time. (And followed them fairly closely too,
> especially in terms of times and temperatures, because of
> unfamiliarity with the technology involved.)
>
> I also print out stuff from RFC, and use that as the basis for cooking
> a meal or whatever -- but I almost always make adjustments due to lack
> of a specific ingredient, or the desire for more of one thing and/or
> less of another. [And I print out one hell of a lot more "interesting
> recipes" than I'll ever get round to making!]

Phred, I have some separate (computer) files for recipes entitled:

"Recipes to consider making"
"Recipes tried and true"

All the rest of the recipes I collect on the internet or copied from books,
I file under subject files, such as Meat, Fish, etc. and then by sub-file;
or Vegetables, and then by the vegetable itself; or Gravy -- you get the
point. It's an easy way to search for a recipe with an ingredient that you
have on hand and want to make something with it also.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > modom wrote:
> >>
> >> I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
> >> proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of South
> >> Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it makes a
> >> heluva crepe.

> > I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.

> My experience with making crepes: (Years ago)
>
> I bought a couple of different sizes of (crepe) pans to use for crepes. I
> experimented with the amount of crepe batter I poured into the pan by using
> 1/4 cup measurement cups & other measurement cups, and ounces. I
> experimented with the heat of the pan (by turning up/down the gas burner).
> Finally after making a crepe, we decided we actually don't care that much
> for crepes.
>
> In the past year, I decided to make a crepe. I had on hand what I thought
> would be the perfect size crepe pan and an electric stove (not gas). I
> experimented with the crepe batter (only two recipes, as I recall). Maybe
> one crepe turned out edible. DH was standing by my side helping to
> determine what to change, what to do, how to do it. Absolutely failure. To
> Hell with Crepes. I haven't ordered one in a restaurant in years, why should
> I want to know how to make them again!
>
> Almost the same thing is my case with tortillas. I bought a tortilla press
> AND a tortilla electric press/maker. I won't mention the times I tried
> making the masa dough for tortillas. (DH always at hand with suggestions).
> Now just the other day I brought out the electric tortilla maker to use for
> 'heating' ready made tortillas as I found a source for tasty hand-made
> tortillas. Thick - almost like gorditas. So I'll try it for only heating
> tortillas.
>
> I'm no longer 'a-scared' of making crepes or tortillas. I just don't give a
> damn about making them anymore.
> Good luck and have as much fun as I did, but DON'T SPEND MONEY on the
> project.
> Dee Dee\

The common denominator in these failed attempts seems to be dh ;) LOL

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "wff_ng_7" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
>>> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook
>>> and
>>> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?

> Anytime I bake. Which is, luckily, rare.
>
>> For all the normal cooking, I'm just like you. I use the cookbooks for
>> ideas, or perhaps for quick reference so I don't leave something out I
>> intended to put it.

> It's pathetic, I almost always do that. I have to. It seems I am
> hardwired to forget one ingredient, something different every time.
> This week my quiche has no onion. Other times my meatloaf
> will have no Worchestershire. Hello. How could I forget?
>
> So I just pull out a recipe and leave it out to check. Proportions
> are never the same. Rarely still are actual measurements.
>
> I think that's true of just about everyone?
>
> nancy

A fellow recipe reader! If I don't check myself I *always* manage to leave
some critical ingredient out. Many times I wing a memorized recipe with
disastrous results. Have you ever tried leaving eggs out of a cake? (New
marriage, new cook fiasco). If I try a new recipe I always follow it then
play with it after making it the first time, provided I liked the result in
the first place.

If most of the people on here dream up their own recipes and remember them
each time, then I bow my head in shame and there's no hope for me.

Dora

"Nancy Young" wrote in message >

> "S'mee" wrote
>> I like to look at cookbooks for ideas, too; and they make
>> interesting reading sometimes.

> Same here ... people (you know who you are) can make fun all
> they want, I like to see what people had for dinner/whatever ...
> Oh! I'll make that tomorrow! Or sit down with a cookbook or
> two until something strikes me.
>
> nancy

Absolutely - right on target.

Dora

> Doug Kanter wrote:
> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
> >> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a
> >> cookbook and followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Do you mean "cookbook versus the web", or that you don't consult ANY
> > external source for specific recipes?

> Okay, cookbook *or* web. I consult either for ideas but I can't recall

the
> last time I followed anything step by step as it appeared in written form
> (bread being the exception).
>
> Jill

I made gougeres stuffed with bacon, arugala and pickled onions for New
Year's Eve from "The Zuni Cafe Cookbook". I made Tarte Tatin and followed
the recipe verbatim from "Buchon" over the holidays. Followed the technique
but modified the ingredients for pate choux gnocchi for New Year's Day (also
from "Bouchon" ) served with my own version of osso buco and sauced the
gnocchi with some of the strained braising liquid that was greatly reduced.
Made a really nice pinot noir and lamb demi-glace reduction sauce from an
Epicurious recipe on Christmas Day but didn't follow their recipe for rack
of lamb. Instead I removed the bones from the rack and used them to make
the demi-glace for the sauce. Trimmed the lamb extremely well and pan
seared it, let it cool then coated it with dijon mustard and minced fresh
herbs and oven roasted to medium rare. So I guess, for the most part, if
baking is involved I tend to follow recipes but use recipes for inspiration
otherwise. Normally I make osso buco with veal or lamb shanks but this time
I *had* to buy beef shanks. I had just finished baking the gougeres on New
Year's Eve day when my mother mused "What should we serve for New Year's Day
dinner?" Hello?!! We had 17 people coming over for New Year's Day
dinner!!! Beef shanks was all I could get in quantity at the last minute.
I spent a good hour trimming those stinkers of extra fat and gristle but
they turned out very well.

Kate

"limey" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>> It's pathetic, I almost always do that. I have to. It seems I am
>> hardwired to forget one ingredient, something different every time.
>> This week my quiche has no onion. Other times my meatloaf
>> will have no Worchestershire. Hello. How could I forget?
>>
>> So I just pull out a recipe and leave it out to check. Proportions
>> are never the same. Rarely still are actual measurements.

> A fellow recipe reader! If I don't check myself I *always* manage to
> leave some critical ingredient out. Many times I wing a memorized recipe
> with disastrous results. Have you ever tried leaving eggs out of a cake?
> (New marriage, new cook fiasco).

Heh, Yeah, I could definitely see me forgetting the eggs in a cake.
No. Problem. I almost forgot the egg in my meatloaf the other day.
The texture would have to be seriously off for me to notice something
vital was missing.

One time, I made ratatoulle ... I was under pressure, cooking for
some people who are themselves excellent cooks, nervous ...
nervous enough to forget to add *all* the herbs/spices. That is
one bland dish, lemme tell ya.

> If I try a new recipe I always follow it then play with it after making
> it the first time, provided I liked the result in the first place.

True, and most especially if it's something I've never had before.
Helps to know what it's supposed to be like.

> If most of the people on here dream up their own recipes and remember them
> each time, then I bow my head in shame and there's no hope for me.

I admire that, it's just not me.

nancy

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> modom wrote:
>>>
>>> I use a recipe when I make things like crepes -- stuff where the
>>> proportions of ingredients are critical. BTW, on phase three of
>>> South Beach, buckwheat flour is acceptable in moderation, and it
>>> makes a heluva crepe.

>> I'm so scared of trying to make a crepe.

> My experience with making crepes: (Years ago)
>
> I bought a couple of different sizes of (crepe) pans to use for
> crepes. I experimented with the amount of crepe batter I poured into
> the pan by using 1/4 cup measurement cups & other measurement cups,
> and ounces. I experimented with the heat of the pan (by turning
> up/down the gas burner). Finally after making a crepe, we decided we
> actually don't care that much for crepes.

I make canneloni using crepes rather than trying to stuff round canneloni
noodles. This is from the Frugal Gourmet cookbook. No special pan
required, just a slightly sloped 8-inch saute pan.

Crepes (noodles):
3 eggs
1 c. water
1 c. flour
salt to taste
Peanut oil (I used canola)

Filling:
1 lb. small curd cottage cheese
1 egg
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbs. freshy grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Topping:
1 cup tomato sauce
Freshly grated Parmesan or Romano

To make the "noodles": Place eggs in a blender then add water, flour and
salt. Blend until smooth. Place two or three Tbs. of this batter in a
heated crepe or omelet pan [NOTE: I just used an 8" teflon pan with curved
sides; didn't buy a special pan]. Cook on one side only until dry on the
top. These should not be browned or too dry so the pan should not be too
hot. Separate the cooked crepes with waxed paper and continue until all are
done.

Filling:
Drain the cottage cheese. Mix with the egg, parsley, salt, pepper and
grated cheese.

Lay out the crepes (noodles), uncooked side up). Spoon the filling into the
center and then roll up like a burrito. Place, seam side down, in a 13X9
baking dish. Spoon the tomato sauce on top and sprinke with the remaining
grated Parmesan or Romano. Bake at 350F or until hot and bubbling.

Makes 8-10 canneloni

Once I learned how simple it was to make crepes using this method I went on
to use it to prepare things like chicken & mushroom crepes in a creamy white
wine sauce. Hey, yes, I used a cookbook for the first recipe but then
expanded upon what I learned from it! <G>

Of course, these aren't dessert crepes. For that, you're on your own.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
>
> Jill

I usally follow a recipe. My memory is awful. I can be thinking
about what something one minute and the next, the thought just "melts
away". So I have to write it down right away. ........Sharon

In article <[email protected]>,
"limey" <[email protected]> wrote:

> If most of the people on here dream up their own recipes and remember them
> each time, then I bow my head in shame and there's no hope for me.
>
> Dora

Who says we remember them most of the time???

I make a LOT of stuff up as I go along. <lol>

It's a matter of "instinct" as to what flavors blend well. :)
And the amount has to look and taste right.

You know you can do it........

I only use cookbooks for baking.
That's chemistry.

Cheers!!!!!
--

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message

> "limey" wrote:
>> If most of the people on here dream up their own recipes and remember
>> them
>> each time, then I bow my head in shame and there's no hope for me.
>>
>> Dora

> Who says we remember them most of the time???
>
> I make a LOT of stuff up as I go along. <lol>
>
> It's a matter of "instinct" as to what flavors blend well. :)
> And the amount has to look and taste right.
>
> You know you can do it........
>
> I only use cookbooks for baking.
> That's chemistry.
>
> Cheers!!!!!
> --
> Om.

I know, I know, Om. I have a husband who never looks at a recipe, never
measures anything, makes stuff up as he goes along and has me beat by a
mile. If you have that gift, anything's possible.
I just have a short-circuited brain, but I try.

Dora

jmcquown wrote:
> Just curious. I consult mine from time to time but that's mostly for
> getting ideas. I can't remember the last time I opened up a cookbook and
> followed a recipe step by step. How about you?
>
> Jill

Aside from baking, I can't say I've ever really opened a cookbook and
followed a recipe step by step.

I've read recipes in magazines and used them for "inspiration", but I've
never followed one word for word.