When will I need to replace my Chorus shifters?

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I work at a bike shop and my boss told me that Campy shifters are garbage because they will need to be rebuilt (specifically, there's a spring that will need replacing) after 3k miles. I have about 2.5k on right now. Can I expect them to die sometime this off season or is he wrong? When should I have them rebuilt?

rudycyclist said:
I work at a bike shop and my boss told me that Campy shifters are garbage because they will need to be rebuilt (specifically, there's a spring that will need replacing) after 3k miles. I have about 2.5k on right now. Can I expect them to die sometime this off season or is he wrong? When should I have them rebuilt?
Your "boss" is completely wrong.

Replacement of the the G-spring occurs AFTER somewhere between 12,000 & 18,000 miles of riding (depending on how much shifting you are doing) ... for a person who rarely shifts (e.g., "Flatlander"), the mileage would be even higher!

In theory, barring a catastrophic crash, a Campagnolo shifter can be rebuilt as many times as you want for whatever it costs for the small bits ... AND, as you know, when a Shimano shifter gives up the ghost, it becomes a paperweight OR landfill.

What an idiot of a boss... I would move store and learn from a boss who actually knows the stuff.

rudycyclist said:

Rebuild when the shifting looses its crispness. I agree with alfeng that you should expect 4-5 times more miles than what your boss suggested.

rudycyclist said:

The man knows nothing. On the plus side, you can safely steal whatever you need from his shop, because there's no way a guy that ignorant is capable of keeping a proper inventory.

3K on Chorus (ball bearing) shifters is nothing. 3K on lower groups (plain bush) is just about run in. Ignoring Xenon, which is completely different internally, the actual shift components are identical for all groups up to and including '06 except 2004-on Record. I've got a pair of 1999 Record Ergos which have been used so much the pivot pin for the brake lever has pretty much worn away, but the indexing's still fine.

rudycyclist said:
I've been using chorus shifters for 10 years,no problem.He's talking b#####ks.

i've got 3500+ miles on my 2006 chorus shifters and they function as well as when i took the bike out for its' first ride.

even 'if' you eventually end up rebuilding them you will be dollars ahead if shimano.