When will Team Coast implode?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    I put the over-under at the end of July.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I put the over-under at the end of July.

    Candyass!

    Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
    don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
    certain to sink.

    At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
    guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
    it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
    will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
    additional also-ran French team.

    The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May 15th
    which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.

    Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

  3. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I put the over-under at the end of July.
    >
    > Candyass!
    >
    > Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
    > don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
    > certain to sink.
    >
    > At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
    > guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
    > it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
    > will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
    > additional also-ran French team.
    >
    > The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May
    > 15th which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.
    >
    > Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

    Now that's a ballsy pick!

    -T

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I put the over-under at the end of July.
    >
    > Candyass!
    >
    > Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
    > don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
    > certain to sink.
    >
    > At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
    > guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
    > it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
    > will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
    > additional also-ran French team.
    >
    > The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May
    > 15th which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.
    >
    > Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

    Well, I very well may be a candyass but in this case I wasn't making a prediction, I was trying to
    set the over-under line.

    The problem is that as a Top Ten club, Coast gets an automatic bid and LeBlanc doesn't have
    discretion over that (as he did over Saeco last year). The only way he can wriggle out of this
    morass is if the UCI de-certifies Coast, and I'm guessing he's lobbying for that right now.

    Anyway, since you think LeBlanc (and Verbruggen) will figure out a way to keep Coast out, which
    also-ran French team do you think will make it in? No candyassing.

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, I very well may be a candyass but in this case I wasn't making a prediction, I was trying to
    > set the over-under line.

    > The problem is that as a Top Ten club, Coast gets an automatic bid and LeBlanc doesn't have
    > discretion over that (as he did over Saeco last year). The only way he can wriggle out of this
    > morass is if the UCI de-certifies Coast, and I'm guessing he's lobbying for that right now.

    > Anyway, since you think LeBlanc (and Verbruggen) will figure out a way to keep Coast out, which
    > also-ran French team do you think will make it in? No candyassing.

    Heinder and Jean-Marie have much in common in this case. Neither needs this sort of a distraction
    and both can make up rules on the spot. So I don't see Top Ten status as that big of a deal.
    Coast has everything riding on Jan. Even in his injured state, the list of potential challengers
    is very short. Once he leaves Coast goes in the toilet and Hein and Jean-Marie will pull the
    handle together.

    I hadn't really put much thought about which undeserving French team would get in as a result, I was
    just going on history. There are six TT1 French teams, three are already in: Cofidis, CA, and FdJ.
    That leaves AG2R, B la B, and Jean Delatour on the outside looking in with four wildcards yet to be
    named. And you would have to think that one of those wildcards will go to Domina Vacanze.

    The problem with identifying which team is replacing Coast is that Jean-Marie may not play along and
    identify them if he boots Coast and names the remaining wildcards which now number five. So I will
    predict that all six TT1 French teams are in and if one of them is identified as the successor to
    Coast it will be the atrocious Jean Delatour.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  6. Bart

    Bart Guest

    I saw some Critere International coverage on French TV last weekend. The commentators saw everything
    about this race as Tour trials. And it seems Milaneza is becoming a serious factor, L'Equipe already
    hinted at Tour opportunities for them after Paris-Nice. They might have the best chances of the
    foreign teams, after the certain DV (if Cipo doesnt bail out untimely for one reason or other).

    Remember some weeks ago when the Coast big boss blamed late payment on Carnival Banking holiday in
    Germany. .. I mean, this whole mess-up sounds so un-German.

  7. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I put the over-under at the end of July.
    >
    > Candyass!
    >
    > Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
    > don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
    > certain to sink.
    >
    > At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
    > guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
    > it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
    > will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
    > additional also-ran French team.
    >
    > The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May
    > 15th which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.

    Team Coast should merge with another team. If not Ullrich should demaand that that Coast and other
    sponsors put up a certain amount of money. If not Ullrich should bail.
    > Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

  8. Arts

    Arts Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:04:10 +0000, Tom Schulenburg wrote:

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I put the over-under at the end of July.
    >>

    > Don't be a Candyass. July 28th
    >
    > -T
    Hard to disagree with a team member. This from cyclingnews.com Asked by the Ekstra Bladet whether
    Team Coast will be able to race the Tour de France, Bekim Christensen, answers yes: "I think so. But
    I can have my doubts about whether the team can make it in August and September after the Tour de
    France, if there is not a co-sponsor and more organised conditions found soon. As it is now, the
    team is dissolving," said Christensen.

  9. A. Birko

    A. Birko Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Remember some weeks ago when the Coast big boss blamed late payment on Carnival Banking holiday in
    > Germany. .. I mean, this whole mess-up sounds
    so
    > un-German.

    What does un-German mean?

  10. "A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I mean, this whole mess-up sounds
    > so
    > > un-German.
    > >

    > What does un-German mean?

    Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual, orderly, precise, competent. Un-German
    would be the opposite.

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > "A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > I mean, this whole mess-up sounds so un-German.
    > >
    > > What does un-German mean?
    > >
    > Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual, orderly, precise, competent.
    > Un-German would be the opposite.

    I second that notion. Coast is acting more like a French team would.
    :)

    I feel sorry for Marcel Wust who seems to have been trying to make a go of it and this whole
    sponsorship problem is just killing his reputation.

  12. A. Birko

    A. Birko Guest

    > "A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > I mean, this whole mess-up sounds
    > > so
    > > > un-German.
    > > >

    > > What does un-German mean?
    > >

    > Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual, orderly, precise, competent.
    > Un-German would be the opposite.

    You obviously haven't dealt with real Germans!

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > What does un-German mean?
    > > >
    > > Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual,
    orderly,
    > > precise, competent. Un-German would be the opposite.
    >
    > You obviously haven't dealt with real Germans!

    In the USA we got stuck with the fake Germans who came here to succeed and most of them did. Hardly
    any of them are feckless old embittered fools except Henry Chang.