When you Can't Ride...

Tom Kuyek

Guest
I'm from Ontario originally, a good little town that offers some nice riding... I recently moved to
Winnipeg Manitoba, the murder capital of canada I'm told. Here's my dilema. My bike, it's at home in
Ontario and it's too old now for any sort of urban riding around here. I miss riding like you
wouldn't believe. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this. I've been working hard to save my money
for a new bike. Everytime I'm out in my girlfriends car I look at the surroundings around me and
imagine riding whatever obstacle I lay my eyes on. This city is an urban riders dream come true,
there's so much out there but it's just gotta be found. I look through my old pictures from when I
was in High school a few years ago, and I use to go on serious rides at least 3 - 4 times a week. I
can remember getting all my gear ready in the morning, listening to the birds, seeing the sun peek
through the trees, and waiting for my friend Dave to come with the Pontiac and load up the bikes.
We'd sit through 4 classes and a lunch period just waiting to get out of that place only to hit the
trails. I remember one particular ride, we got separated and I wasn't familiar with the area, the
trail I picked turned out to be a helluva ride, perfect sections that let you keep your speed up the
entire time, only to find a massive kicker at the top of a hill. It sent you so far and had such a
nice steep landing that it felt good even on my hardtail. I eventually found my friend in the bush
at the bottom of this kicker, he apparently had too much speed and lost it on the corner. It was
always great to go riding here, but i'm not sure if all the trails still exist because of a golf
course that was supposedly being slapped in there... Like we need any more golf courses when there
are barely any decent places to ride anymore. I'm not bashing golf, I don't mind it, but don't take
the one nice place we have to ride and replace it with flat green stuff. But here's the thing. When
you consider yourself true to the sport, or whatever you would like to call it, you know that
whenever you think of mountain biking it gives you Goosebumps, and when you actually throw a leg
over the saddle and start to ride, you know your free to do whatever you desire and go where you
want to go. In my situation, I can go any direction and be in a new place I've never been before.
Sure you may have been every where in your city by car or bus, but once you take time and explore on
a MTB of any kind, whether it be hardtail, full suspension, or a nice big free rider, it's totally
different by bike... The feeling is like none other when you pass by a fellow biker and give them
the sacred nod. Who knows, maybe they'll join you for a ride, then part, riding your separate
ways... You may bump into them again, you may not... That's part of mountain biking... I haven't
gone on a serious ride in over a year now and I consider myself true to the sport... But with prices
of decent rigs going up and up, it gets harder and harder to ride... Everyone waiting for the snow
to go away and go on their first ride, take it to heart, in fact, take every ride to heart, even if
it's just to the store and back...

Ride to be free

"Tom Kuyek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
hardtail,
> full suspension, or a nice big free rider, it's totally different by
bike...
> The feeling is like none other when you pass by a fellow biker and give
them
> the sacred nod. Who knows, maybe they'll join you for a ride, then part, riding your separate
> ways... You may bump into them again, you may not... That's part of mountain biking... I haven't
> gone on a serious ride in
over
> a year now and I consider myself true to the sport... But with prices of decent rigs going up and
> up, it gets harder and harder to ride...
Everyone
> waiting for the snow to go away and go on their first ride, take it to heart, in fact, take every
> ride to heart, even if it's just to the store

Here's where you can get started, its cheap and does it all:

http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/_sid/2dbf156240a733875
1ebb6a9d2e450ee/product_id/462/category_name/Trials+Bikes/pg/product_detail. html

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Kuyek" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm from Ontario originally, a good little town that offers some nice riding... I recently moved
> to Winnipeg Manitoba, the murder capital of canada I'm told.

Is Winnipeg really that bad?

Dave in Minnesota

I tried bmx a little while ago, i did pretty good, except a mountain bike offers me everything from
urban, big air, a day out on the trails, or just a run to work and back. Plus I've ridden MTB all my
life, so I guess I'm just use to the size of it. I want it all on a bike, haha, that's where money
is an issue. Especially when I break something, like rims, I go through rims too much, and they're
not cheap. Thanks for the website, I'll check it out soon. And yes, winnipeg can be bad, not so much
in the winter, but more so in the summer when everything crawls out from the corners and heating
ducts. My goal is to go to BC and ride whistler, just for a day would be nice, but I know that I
wouldn't want to leave, just like every true rider out there....

Ride to be free

"Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Kuyek" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm from Ontario originally, a good little town that offers some nice riding... I recently moved
> > to Winnipeg Manitoba, the murder capital of canada I'm told.
>

> Is Winnipeg really that bad?

YES, but it wont stop me from riding. There is not much in terms of real trails.

> Dave in Minnesota

The term "can't ride" is definitly not an option, but not being able to ride for a certain period of
time is... That's my situation... And yes, I noticed the lack of trails in Winnipeg, I'm afraid of
running over a jogger or the dog that they jog with, or just some little tyke on a bike... Oh
well... more words to live by...

Rubbin' is Racin'...

> "can't ride" is not an option
>
> JD

Well I know how you feel, I live in the netherlands and that is just flat, we used to ride the
cities and make use of stairs speedbumps etc. Now we are older (you cant get ur license under 18
here) and have cars etc it all changed we now go on a 2 - 3 hour drive for the day and get some
serious riding done in belgium.

Keep the spirit up and youll be riding again soon,

Dennis