Where are all the Canadians

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Roadweenie, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Roadweenie

Roadweenie New Member

Favorite race: Andrews scenic acres
    Reason: It is just a club race however it goes up and down the escarpment in Ontario, really tough, many senior 1 riders show up for this one. (second reason: I won it in 1990)
    Note to the people who run this forum: excellent job, I am very impressed.
    Roadweenie:D

Tags:

2. Spin baby

Spin baby New Member

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia.
    Our local race is the Ironman.... lots of NICE bikes here during July and August... lot's of roadies.

We have the Kettle Valley Railway Trail (KVR Trail) as well that is 600 K of double track with lots of single track take offs.

It's a great place to live... and a smorgasboard to bike.

3. Norsman

Norsman New Member

You mentioned the Kettle Valley trail. With the fire that went through there last summer what kind of condition is the trail in? I have been interested in doing that ride but I understood that the fire destroyed several of the train tressles that the bikers would use. Can all of the ride still be done?

4. Spin baby

Spin baby New Member

The Myra Canyon Trestle Restoration Society is already working on establishing an interim detour around the trestle locations to allow travel along the route to continue, but the commitment is to full restoration.... although I can't give a forecast date.

Other sections of the KVR that weren't effected by the fire can still be a challenge to negotiate as some of the trial has not been restored from when they pulled up the tracks.

This is a fairly good book on section to section descriptions of the trail.... although it should only be used as a general guide as changes occur continually

5. Spin baby

Spin baby New Member

[QUOTEThis is a fairly good book on section to section descriptions of the trail.... although it should only be used as a general guide as changes occur continually [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry... forgot to post the book link.

http://www.planet.eon.net/~dan/book1.html

6. redstorm

redstorm New Member

Favorite Race : None (I hope next year I can participate in my first one :))
    Reason : Need to train more :)

Favorite training venues : Mont-Royal Camillien Houde hill, Montreal F1 Grand Prix Track
    Reason : Camillien Houde because its the steepest hill in town and the F1 track because there are no stop signs :)

bye!

7. RagingSpirit

RagingSpirit New Member

I am a canadian! :p

I'm in Toronto, but haven't raced yet due to the absence of a road bike.

I have, however, been a huge fan of cycling for the past four + years, biking all the time on a hybrid bike to which I attached some aero-bars. I want to get into racing as soon as possible!

Sadly, I don't know how to go about finding a club to race with: the only club I know about is the TBN, and that's strictly recreational, non-competitive biking.

The ontario cycling association has some clubs listed on their website, but there are no descriptions..... Pretty useless stuff :-/

Arghhhhh!!!!! :eek:

If someone who desperately wants to get into racing can't, then how is our community supposed to recruit new riders? This is just RIDICULOUS.

8. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

RSpirit,

Check out the Mississauga Bicycle Club. Although there's something for everyone, the club has a healthy number of roadies who ride competitively. The club also hosts a beginner's "learn to race" course every spring. Well worth a call, their number is on the OCA website.

Cheers,
    Tech72

9. ewitz

ewitz New Member

Look at www.midweekclub.com

Beginner races Mondays and Advanced on Wednesday. It is done on a closed circuit at the Hershey Centre.

10. RagingSpirit

RagingSpirit New Member

Sounds interesting, but both clubs are in mississauga: an hour's or so drive from where I live (mid-town Toronto).

Are you guys from "out west" or do you live closer to downtown TO?

11. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

I'm more or less in the middle of Mississauga. Riding to get out of town and into the country is a battle against cars......

Tech72

12. ewitz

ewitz New Member

An hour's drive? I live at Ave. Rd. and Eglinton and its' only 20 minutes.

There is a Sunday group ride that leaves from Laird and Eglinton at 9 A.M. It's about 100 km of fast riding with one stop.

13. RagingSpirit

RagingSpirit New Member

An hour's drive if you are going to mississauga (on a bad day, which is almost every day).

Wow, that's very close to where I live (Davisville and Mt. Pleasant). Is this a club ride?

Do they congregate in the mall's parking lot?

14. fat climber

fat climber New Member

:) hi im coming to stay with family on th 14th august for 3 weeks.
    will be staying in a town call Grimsby in Ontario. would like to know if there is any cycling runs / races on around this time in this area.
    coming all the way from ireland can't wait to checkout the local cycling seen.
    yours in cycling
    FAT CLIMBER

15. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Grimsby is a good place if you're a roadie. It's in an area with lots of good country roads, decent hills courtesy of the Niagara Escarpment and not too much traffic either. Grimsby is about an hour's drive to Toronto or half an hour's drive to Niagara Falls. It's a small town so not much goes on there. I know because I grew up not too far away.

There are always races on weekends in Ontario, but it could mean a drive for you as the races are sanctioned by the Ontario Cycling Association and can take place all over the province. You can also find weekday and weekend club rides and races run by local clubs. The closest cycling clubs to you would be the Hamilton Cycling Club (www.hamiltoncycling.com) and the St.Catharines Cycling Club (www.stcatharinescc.com).

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay in Ontario.

Cheers,
    Tech72

16. fat climber

fat climber New Member

thanks Tech72 for all your help.

one more ? i am a 2nd categorie rider in ireland, what would be the best categorie for me to ride in. e.g. we only have 3 categories in ireland is there not about 5 categories in canada.

cheers fat climber

17. origanic

origanic New Member

I live in Burlington, Ontario (close to Hamilton) area!

I love to ride on the bruce trails out along the escarpment in Ontario.

18. -=KingFisher=-

-=KingFisher=- New Member

Hello all.. my name is Greg.. I live here in Oakville. There's some great rides 5 mins from my doorstep as you'll see a parade of cyclists heading up, down and around 6th line north of Dundas.

I'm a roadie. Raced on a team the summer I graduated from university. I've done a few TRY-a-TRI s. Lot's of running road racing in my youth: 5K, 10Ks mostly -- couple of half-marathons, but not marathons.

Looking for good paved routes in the Oakville and greater Toronto area... see you on 6th line!

19. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny New Member

Winnipeg Manitoba, hills we don't need no stinkin' hills thats what the wind is for.

20. origanic

origanic New Member

Hey!

Im from Ontario Canada, BURLINGTON to be exact, but actually am moving up to WATERLOO this weekend for school. Yes, I am definately going to be bringing my roadie bike with me up to Waterloo. Anyone from that area know any good routes? I currently ride (with my man) up in Northern Burlington, Britannia area, Carlise, Killbride Dundas, Campbellville. Ta Ta for now!

Sandra