Where are all the Canadians

Hi! I posted in the Toronto thread further down, but thought I'd say hello in here too. I am a total cycling newbie, having been on 4 rides in total, the longest of which was 45 miles (72ish km) which I thought was pretty good, until I read some of the other feats being accomplished around here!

My "good bike" (a LeMond Reno) is in the US, residing with my boyfriend (cydewaze on this forum), who is a major cycling keener, and who got me into this. That's fine with me, I quite enjoy it, although after a long ride I am ready to quit for good! :p After awhile that subsides and I feel the desire to try again.

I have a hybrid in Toronto. I have been on one local Toronto Bicycle Network ride, but I really need to learn some routes so I can keep training. I am just so nervous about getting lost, or run over, as I never leanred to drive a car, and the traffic scares me out of my wits! :eek:

Origanic, I'm in Burlington too. Unfortunately, I just started riding, and my LBS doesn't seem to be currently running any novice rides, nor is there a women's club in town.

Well, presently this Canuk, originally from Toronto, is biking through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I've done my New Brunswick portion (Shediac to Fundy Park and back to Shediac) as well as part of my Nova Scotia portion (Shediac to Halifax).

I tend to do long tours and train accordingly. :)

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/map/pdf/2004_map.pdf

Give the file a few seconds to load as it's quite big. There is tons of riding to be done in the city.
Most of the bike shops in the city should have this same map for free as a fold-out.
----
as for me I live in the east end of Toronto and commute to work (Queen & University) every day (rain or shine). There are plenty of paved and mountain bike trails within city limits. I ride everything; mountain, trials and recently I scored a pristine condition road bike that actually fits my 36" inseam for $20 from Goodwill.
Fav. race so far in Ontario: Albion Hills 24hr summer solstice.

juf2m said:
Hi! I posted in the Toronto thread further down, but thought I'd say hello in here too. I am a total cycling newbie, having been on 4 rides in total, the longest of which was 45 miles (72ish km) which I thought was pretty good, until I read some of the other feats being accomplished around here!

My "good bike" (a LeMond Reno) is in the US, residing with my boyfriend (cydewaze on this forum), who is a major cycling keener, and who got me into this. That's fine with me, I quite enjoy it, although after a long ride I am ready to quit for good! :p After awhile that subsides and I feel the desire to try again.

I have a hybrid in Toronto. I have been on one local Toronto Bicycle Network ride, but I really need to learn some routes so I can keep training. I am just so nervous about getting lost, or run over, as I never leanred to drive a car, and the traffic scares me out of my wits! :eek:

origanic said:
Hey!

Im from Ontario Canada, BURLINGTON to be exact, but actually am moving up to WATERLOO this weekend for school. Yes, I am definately going to be bringing my roadie bike with me up to Waterloo. Anyone from that area know any good routes? I currently ride (with my man) up in Northern Burlington, Britannia area, Carlise, Killbride Dundas, Campbellville. Ta Ta for now!

Sandra
It has been ages since I graduated from Waterloo (Class of '88) but I have fond memories of the Columbia Lake area, north of campus, a roadie will quickly be out of the 'city' and into the country and exploring the township roads... reminds me a bit of No. 2 Sideroad in Burlington, which I adore.

Since you know N. Burlington/Britannia/Campbellville area... can you give me a better route than 6th line, Lower Base Line, No. 2 Sideroad, Walkers Line up to Derry...

-=KingFisher=- said:
It has been ages since I graduated from Waterloo (Class of '88) but I have fond memories of the Columbia Lake area, north of campus, a roadie will quickly be out of the 'city' and into the country and exploring the township roads... reminds me a bit of No. 2 Sideroad in Burlington, which I adore.

Since you know N. Burlington/Britannia/Campbellville area... can you give me a better route than 6th line, Lower Base Line, No. 2 Sideroad, Walkers Line up to Derry...

Its actually my boyfriend that is familiar with that area of Burlington. We discovered our routes simply by buying a map and doing a trial and error technique. Try out different routes and highlight on a map the roads you enjoyed riding on. Actually, this is what I have ended up doing in the Waterlooo area as well.

Thanks!

Yo.........signing in from the East!

Favorite race...hmmmm......did my first one this summer. Riverport road race as part of the BNS summer schedule. Went into it with the objective of just finishing...no DNF!

Lost a water bottle about 5 minutes in the 84K race(and had no one in the feed zone) and got dropped on the first climb after getting stuck behind another rider who blew a shift. Still finished 19th out of 24 riders in Masters B, set a PB for average speed over that distance and, despite some cramping(dehydration...84 k on one bottle of fluid) on the 3rd lap, had a heck of a time.

Can`t wait till next summer...gonna try and do the whole road race schedule!

Tech72 said:
Grimsby is a good place if you're a roadie. It's in an area with lots of good country roads, decent hills courtesy of the Niagara Escarpment and not too much traffic either. Grimsby is about an hour's drive to Toronto or half an hour's drive to Niagara Falls. It's a small town so not much goes on there. I know because I grew up not too far away.

There are always races on weekends in Ontario, but it could mean a drive for you as the races are sanctioned by the Ontario Cycling Association and can take place all over the province. You can also find weekday and weekend club rides and races run by local clubs. The closest cycling clubs to you would be the Hamilton Cycling Club (www.hamiltoncycling.com) and the St.Catharines Cycling Club (www.stcatharinescc.com).

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay in Ontario.

Cheers,
Tech72
I also lived in Grimsby for a numbere of years and it was one of the best places to train. Since I was doing triathlons and road races I was able to meet up with several other athletes in the area for some great training rides. Some of the best cllimbing can be found in the area. Try climbing Park Road. Definitly a leg burner.

RP:)

i'm from montreal.
I've been living in downtown Toronto for about a year now (i moved here for school)

Sorry that I replied a bit late in this post since I was spending so much time polishing my tricks. Anyway, I'm from Guelph, Ontario. It's a pretty boring town for urban freeriding. The only place that is good is the university, but you will get kicked by the security there. But I will be taking couses there in three years time, and by that time I can 'freeride' my way to my classes.

Is There any one from east cost on here NewBrunsick :)
And were do you ride. Moncton is were im from.
;)

Well, I've lived in Waterloo now for a few months, and wow! (My previous posts, I was about to move here). Well, I've moved up here for school now, attending WLU. Its great here. I am about a 10 minute ride from all this wonderful country land. Gorgeous vasts of feilds and sunshine. Paved roads (for the most part :) ). Northern Waterloo is full of Menonite villages in St. Jacob's land, and there are more horse drawn carriages there than there are cars! It is so interesting, makes for a wonderful ride! I think many of the women and men there are quite scared of riders. hehe. There however are lots of bikers through the country lands. I've though, retired my bike for the season, it's getting too cold and slightly snowy up here in the great Waterloo.
I'll be back in Burlington from April - September 2005. Nice to meet some fellow Burlingtoners. MSN me sometime: [email protected]

Thanks!

I'm in Dundas Ontario, just outside of Hamilton. Although I don't ride competitively (except against my brother) riding the Niagara escarpment is quite a challenge. Check out Rattle Snake Point at Derry and Appleby.

Goober2 said:
I'm in Dundas Ontario, just outside of Hamilton. Although I don't ride competitively (except against my brother) riding the Niagara escarpment is quite a challenge. Check out Rattle Snake Point at Derry and Appleby.
Oh yeah... I had taken Origanic's advice and bought a map of the area... I had decided on one ride that I'd go from Oakville to Kelso (about 20 miles)... the map suggested I could just go north on Appleby... given that I was already into about 15 miles of tempo riding when I started the ascent up Appleby past Derry! Hooah. What is the grade on that bad boy? 50%? I don't think I lasted more than maybe 30 seconds before I started to think that I may not be able to clip out, and am about to do a headstand starting with my face, and then finishing up with a bike crashing on top of me, and a long slide back down to Derry!!

Were you able to climb it Goober?

oh ya, I love climbing that hill, what a rush. When I first started climbing it, i had to use gears 1 and 1. Over time I've managed to get into the second chain ring. I love seeing improvement in myself, what a motivator. Its about 30km from my house so I would usually ride 20km past Rattle Snake Point, then turn around and come back to make it a 100km day.

If you continue down Appleby and turn right onto Campbellville RD, your first left will be Nassagaweya 6th line. This is another awesome hill and maybe more challenging. This one is a straight road with a very steep grade and seems to go on forever (steady climb until 15 side road). Coming down my bro hit 75 km/hour. There is a rock quarry on that road, so watch out for the dump trucks.

RagingSpirit said:
I am a canadian! :p

I'm in Toronto, but haven't raced yet due to the absence of a road bike.

I have, however, been a huge fan of cycling for the past four + years, biking all the time on a hybrid bike to which I attached some aero-bars. I want to get into racing as soon as possible!

You should look into the crit races at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga.
www.kingzoftheroad.com

origanic said:
Well, I've lived in Waterloo now for a few months, and wow! (My previous posts, I was about to move here). Well, I've moved up here for school now, attending WLU. Its great here. I am about a 10 minute ride from all this wonderful country land. Gorgeous vasts of feilds and sunshine. Paved roads (for the most part :) ). Northern Waterloo is full of Menonite villages in St. Jacob's land, and there are more horse drawn carriages there than there are cars! It is so interesting, makes for a wonderful ride! I think many of the women and men there are quite scared of riders. hehe. There however are lots of bikers through the country lands. I've though, retired my bike for the season, it's getting too cold and slightly snowy up here in the great Waterloo.
I'll be back in Burlington from April - September 2005. Nice to meet some fellow Burlingtoners. MSN me sometime: [email protected]

Thanks!

More horse and buggies than cars???????

Alpha said:
More horse and buggies than cars???????

ok.. a tad of an exageration but before moving up to Waterloo, I had never really been exposed to horse drawn carriages being used regularily. I tend to do 50 km or so rides up in this Hawksville area and see maybe 5-6 carriages per ride :)

I appoligize!

Well, I'm noticing there's not much talk about off-roading here. I do road riding as well, but the really popular events are off-road. The Lake-to-Lake races, the Paris to Ancaster, the Squeezer ( in St. Catharines ). There's normally over 1000 riders in these. There are smaller events too, I rode in one in Brantford last June which was called "The Shocker", I believe it was 42km off-road, and that was just a really fun event.
I also did a charity road ride last year in St. Catharines area, the Pedal 100. I haven't done any other charity rides so perhaps I'm easily impressed, but this event was extremely well organized and supported. There are actually a series of possible routes ranging from 30 to 200km distance; I did the 160km. About 78 km along I had a flat, and barely had the wheel off before a support person pulled up on a motorcycle to see if I needed help. They were also handing out waterbottles on the fly, like we were in the TdF or something. Each rest stop had indoor restrooms and a variety of foods. The post-ride meal was also outstanding -- a buffet in a clubhouse overlooking a river -- plus there were indoor showers available.