Where are 'bents for sale?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Kunich, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    Tags:

  2. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Tom, Let's start out by browsing the following websites:

    www.bentridersonline.com www.recumbents.com www.recumbent.com www.ihpva.org

    Obviously, there are several more, but these are the ones that come to mind quickly.

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works- I build trikes http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    [q1]> Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who[/q1]
    rides
    [q1]> a 55 cm normal bike?[/q1]

  3. A "Normal" bike?

    [q1]> Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who[/q1]
    rides
    [q1]> a 55 cm normal bike?[/q1]

  4. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    [q1]> Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who[/q1]
    rides
    [q1]> a 55 cm normal bike?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

    Tom K?? Looking for a 'bent? whoa.

    Used, look at www.recumbents.com. New...there are quite a few dealers online, also listed there.

    As far as size, each style and model bent is different. Start by knowing your X-seam measurement.
    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/tech_xseam.php http://recumbent.bikeriders.com/xseam.html
    http://www.alansfamilybikeshop.com/XseamBIG.htm

    Pete

  5. For the GRR and Ti Rush, Easy Racers does NOT want your back as flat as possible against the wall.
    It asks you to sit back against a slanted board with the tope of the board flat against the wall and
    with the bottom of the board extended out about 6 or 8 inches (?) at the bottom.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who[/q2]
    rides
    [q2]> > a 55 cm normal bike?[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> Tom - I forgot to mention sizing. Recumbent riders usually talk in "xseam" which is roughly the[/q1]
    [q1]> distance from the wall to the end of your heels (barefoot) while seated on the floor with your[/q1]
    [q1]> back as flat as possible against the wall. There are many variations on this.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Most builders make roughly 2 or 3 sizes of frames, each range covers roughly 6" in rider height.[/q1]
    [q1]> Further adjustment is then made by moving the seat on the monotube, moving the boom (BB) in and[/q1]
    [q1]> out, or both.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> 55cm rider = 5'10"? xseam = 42"?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Regards Chris[/q1]

  6. Tom:

    Call for an appointment or e-mail me at zakaplan at earthlink dot net.

    Zach Kaplan 510-522-BENT (2368)

    [q1]> That's great Zach, but what's your address?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Zach Kaplan Cycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Tom:[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > From your posts to ba.bicycles you appear to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a recumbent[/q2]
    [q2]> > only dealer in Alameda near Oakland and sell 8 brands of recumbents.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > As far as sizing goes, some recumbents come in one size that fits most, others come in multiple[/q2]
    [q2]> > frame sizes. It depends on the brand and model. The important physical dimension to know when[/q2]
    [q2]> > sizing a recumbent is not what size road bike you ride but rather how long your x-seam is, the[/q2]
    [q2]> > the outside leg length measurement taken when sitting on the floor against a wall with your legs[/q2]
    [q2]> > fully extended.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Zach Kaplan 510-522-BENT (2368)[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
    [q1]> news:<[email protected]>...[/q1]
    [q3]> > > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who[/q3]
    [q1]> rides[/q1]
    [q3]> > > a 55 cm normal bike?[/q3]

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    to Tom visiting from R.B.T.:

    The following are some of the bigger dealers/infosites with web sites - that should get you started.

    http://www.challengebikes.com/NewChallengeBikes/index.htm
    http://www.calhouncycle.com/recumbents.html http://www.foolscrow.com/
    http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/ http://poweroncycling.com/ http://www.angletechcycles.com/
    http://hostelshoppe.com/ http://www.bentrideronline.com/2002%20Buyer%27s%20Guide/
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/ http://recumbents.com/default-page.htm http://www.gaerlan.com/

    What are you looking for?

    Regards Chris

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    to Tom visiting from R.B.T.:

    The following are some of the bigger dealers/infosites with web sites - that should get you started.

    http://www.challengebikes.com/NewChallengeBikes/index.htm
    http://www.calhouncycle.com/recumbents.html http://www.foolscrow.com/
    http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/ http://poweroncycling.com/ http://www.angletechcycles.com/
    http://hostelshoppe.com/ http://www.bentrideronline.com/2002%20Buyer%27s%20Guide/
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/ http://recumbents.com/default-page.htm http://www.gaerlan.com/

    What are you looking for?

    Regards Chris

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    Tom - I forgot to mention sizing. Recumbent riders usually talk in "xseam" which is roughly the
    distance from the wall to the end of your heels (barefoot) while seated on the floor with your back
    as flat as possible against the wall. There are many variations on this.

    Most builders make roughly 2 or 3 sizes of frames, each range covers roughly 6" in rider height.
    Further adjustment is then made by moving the seat on the monotube, moving the boom (BB) in and
    out, or both.

    55cm rider = 5'10"? xseam = 42"?

    Regards Chris

  10. Tom:

    From your posts to ba.bicycles you appear to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a recumbent only
    dealer in Alameda near Oakland and sell 8 brands of recumbents.

    As far as sizing goes, some recumbents come in one size that fits most, others come in multiple
    frame sizes. It depends on the brand and model. The important physical dimension to know when sizing
    a recumbent is not what size road bike you ride but rather how long your x-seam is, the the outside
    leg length measurement taken when sitting on the floor against a wall with your legs fully extended.

    Zach Kaplan 510-522-BENT (2368)

    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    Tom - I forgot to mention sizing. Recumbent riders usually talk in "xseam" which is roughly the
    distance from the wall to the end of your heels (barefoot) while seated on the floor with your back
    as flat as possible against the wall. There are many variations on this.

    Most builders make roughly 2 or 3 sizes of frames, each range covers roughly 6" in rider height.
    Further adjustment is then made by moving the seat on the monotube, moving the boom (BB) in and
    out, or both.

    55cm rider = 5'10"? xseam = 42"?

    Regards Chris

  12. Tom:

    From your posts to ba.bicycles you appear to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a recumbent only
    dealer in Alameda near Oakland and sell 8 brands of recumbents.

    As far as sizing goes, some recumbents come in one size that fits most, others come in multiple
    frame sizes. It depends on the brand and model. The important physical dimension to know when sizing
    a recumbent is not what size road bike you ride but rather how long your x-seam is, the the outside
    leg length measurement taken when sitting on the floor against a wall with your legs fully extended.

    Zach Kaplan 510-522-BENT (2368)

    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

  13. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    On the computer! Miles, miles, and miles away. Ain't it generally so? ;-)

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  14. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?

    On the computer! Miles, miles, and miles away. Ain't it generally so? ;-)

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    That's great Zach, but what's your address?

    "Zach Kaplan Cycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom:
    >
    > From your posts to ba.bicycles you appear to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a recumbent
    > only dealer in Alameda near Oakland and sell 8 brands of recumbents.
    >
    > As far as sizing goes, some recumbents come in one size that fits most, others come in multiple
    > frame sizes. It depends on the brand and model. The important physical dimension to know when
    > sizing a recumbent is not what size road bike you ride but rather how long your x-seam is, the the
    > outside leg length measurement taken when sitting on the floor against a wall with your legs fully
    > extended.
    >
    > Zach Kaplan 510-522-BENT (2368)

    > > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who
    rides
    > > a 55 cm normal bike?

  16. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Tom, It's normal to ride a bent ;-) Welcome to the dark side. bill g

    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who
    > rides
    > > a 55 cm normal bike?

  17. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    That's great Zach, but what's your address?

    "Zach Kaplan Cycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]m...
    > Tom:
    >
    > From your posts to ba.bicycles you appear to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a recumbent
    > only dealer in Alameda near Oakland and sell 8 brands of recumbents.
    >
    > As far as sizing goes, some recumbents come in one size that fits most, others come in multiple
    > frame sizes. It depends on the brand and model. The important physical dimension to know when
    > sizing a recumbent is not what size road bike you ride but rather how long your x-seam is, the the
    > outside leg length measurement taken when sitting on the floor against a wall with your legs fully
    > extended.
    >
    > Zach Kaplan 510-522-BENT (2368)

    > > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who
    rides
    > > a 55 cm normal bike?

  18. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Tom, It's normal to ride a bent ;-) Welcome to the dark side. bill g

    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who
    > rides
    > > a 55 cm normal bike?

  19. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?
    >>

    > Tom K?? Looking for a 'bent? whoa.

    He didn't say it was for him...

  20. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>Where would I look to find bents? And what size would someone ride who rides a 55 cm normal bike?
    >>

    > Tom K?? Looking for a 'bent? whoa.

    He didn't say it was for him...