Where are the recipes & cooking tips?

Hopeful Cook

Guest
I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.

Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
call a cooking group.

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 08:08:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Hopeful
Cook?

> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

We do a lot of cooking and food and cooking discussion here, but you need
to be a constant presence to catch it. It's a sharing and learning
experience and a lot of camaraderie amidst what you may perceive as
confusion.

This is not a "recipe" group. If that's what you want, then you should
probably read rec.food.recipes.

Otherwise, join us on a more frequent basis.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:08:25 -0600, Hopeful Cook wrote:

> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

If you want recipes, no chat and nothing off topic, go to
rec.food.recipes. You can continue to be silent and pretend to be a
lurker.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:08:25 -0600, [email protected] (Hopeful
Cook) wrote:

>I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
>believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
>and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
>and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
>Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
>not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
>call a cooking group.

You didn't like the smoker pit picture?
--
modom

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 12 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> This is not a "recipe" group. If that's what you want, then you should
> probably read rec.food.recipes.
>
> Otherwise, join us on a more frequent basis.

This NG is more like what happens around a kitchen table with friends and
family. You have a beer/coffee, play cards, tell jokes, laugh about life,
cry about life plus swap cooking ideas, recipes, and tips... Just like what
happens at most middle class homes. Relaxed and informal as opposed to
sitting around a formal dinning table all dressed up and watching your
manners. Some of us have been posting here for many yrs. If you just want
tried and true recipes use 'google groups' and check out the
rec.food.cooking past postings or go elsewhere.

--
-Alan

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

It's because you take life too seriously...

and do not own a real computer. ;-)

Why is it that this type of whining only comes from Web Tv users?

Sheesh!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Cook) wrote:

>I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
>believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
>and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
>and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
>Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
>not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
>call a cooking group.

You're reading to much r.f.c. Shoose the topics that interest you
(that are about cooking), and stop reading as soon as the thread
turns south.

A good rule of thumb is never read anything posted more than 3
posts deep into a thread (or subthread). It helps if you have a
threaded newsreader. The more indented the subject, the less
value it will be.

If you're reading random posts, or heaven forbid, *every* post,
then you need to re-think your strategy.

ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.

-sw

"Hopeful Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

Have you read the posts today where people were talking about the bread
they made; me I was asking questions about the chicken I made, people were
sharing pictures of the dinner they made -- People talk about their produce,
the stores they shop in, the cooking network -- drama? to me food, itself
is one of the highest dramas of life! Why not be passionate about it?

Try posing a question you have about a dish you are about to cook , a
picture of something you've cooked, or a dish you particularly liked when
you were eating out; maybe you'll like being a participant.
Thanks for your post.
Dee Dee

Cook) wrote:

>I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
>believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
>and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
>and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
>Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
>not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
>call a cooking group.

It's an unmoderated group which means that there is no control over
what is posted, other than whatever self-control we can muster to stay
on topic.

It also means that we get "invaded", as we are now, by people who have
no interest in food/cooking, merely the desire to argue with each
other in a public forum and annoy as many people as possible.

It's bad enough we are subjected to such things. To add insult to
injury, there are people who ask questions like "where are the recipes
and cooking tips."

There is nothing that can be done about any of this.
Sue(tm)

Ask a cooking question and you'll get heaps of replies.
Post a yummy recipe and we'll all drool.
Don't read irrelevant posts, whatever rocks your boat as the boys say.

Hi gang,
I'm back; been travelling for a couple of weeks. Back on topic, I
cooked what seemed to be a perfectly balanced 3-course dinner on Sat.
night -
Cold Cucumber Soup with fresh prawn(shrimp), tomato
& mint salsa
Baked snapper pieces served over tomato ribbon pasta tossed in pesto
(pinenut&basil) with slow roasted tomato segments
Fresh mango slices topped with blueberries warmed in Kangaroo Island
honey and Honey & Cinnamon Yogurt
Our friends who joined our table, said they were glad we were home!

Cheers
Bronnie
Qld Oz

Cheers
Bron
Oz

Hopeful Cook wrote:
> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

Welcome to usenet! When you find an unmoderated group that stays on
topic all the time, be sure to let me know. I'd be interested in the
rare phenomenon. (I like it when scientists discover previously unknown
species, too.) If you can't stand tension and debate, keep away from
usenet and run for the hills. (Or check out quilting. If anyone has an
opinion there, there's a hit mob to run after you.)

But seriously, I was no stranger to usenet when I started here but still
thought this group was particularly vicious. Then I realized that each
time I asked a question, I got sarcastic answers, but I got a lot of
helpful ones too. I've never asked a question about cooking or
ingredients where I didn't get detailed, helpful advice. I've been
amazed at how easy it is to get personal, expert information from a
bunch of volunteers. I normally get an answer within minutes of asking.
At the beginning, I sometimes had to clarify my question. Now I know
how to ask.

Because I believe that nothing in life is free, I "pay" for this service
by answering the questions from others whenever I'm reasonably sure I
know what I'm talking about or think someone would be interested in my
take on a topic. It makes for a lively group. Maybe your first
question should be how to use a killfile.

--Lia

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
> tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.
>
> -sw

Steve, I thought that room temp was the norm. Sort of like Russian
pasties. (SORT of, Bubba Vic. Calm down.)
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-8-2006, Mekong River Thai Cuisine

In article <[email protected]>,
OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:
>
> > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
> >
> > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> > call a cooking group.
> >

> It's because you take life too seriously...
>
> and do not own a real computer. ;-)
>
> Why is it that this type of whining only comes from Web Tv users?
>
> Sheesh!

That's the tough part about the written word vs the spoken word. I
thought that Peter Aiken was being nasty about modom's food pics a while
back and said so - Turns out, I read the snottiness into it.

Now a lurker poses what appear to me to be legitimate questions and you
accuse him/her of whining. And take a shot at his/her means of posting.
Where was the whine? What did I miss?
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-8-2006, Mekong River Thai Cuisine

x-no-archive: yes

What everyone else said. Plus, a lot of the really crazy **** turns out
to be crossposted to other groups, if you check the headers. Some of
the posts you're reading are by people who have zero interest in
cooking and may even be unaware that their posts are showing up in this
group. It is not considered good usenet etiquette to crosspost but some
people do it anyway for no clear reason. The group would look very
different on most days if we didn't have that Chung nonsense, for
example.

Julia Altshuler wrote on 13 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Because I believe that nothing in life is free, I "pay" for this service
> by answering the questions from others whenever I'm reasonably sure I
> know what I'm talking about or think someone would be interested in my
> take on a topic. It makes for a lively group. Maybe your first
> question should be how to use a killfile.
>

> --Lia

I am always interested on your take.

--
-Alan

On 2006-03-13, Hopeful Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.

Like CurlySue has already stated, this is an unmoderated group. We
have no control on who posts what. Like she also states, we get
"invaded", every now and then. Right now, there are a bunch of
religious zealots who delight in spilling over into our newsgroup.
Also, a bunch of regulars have decided we are in need of more jokes
than cooking discussion. These trends come and go. One reason, the
regulars here have discussed every single food related subject to the
death at least a couple times per year. Anyway, the tone of the group
ebbs and flows and right now there's a lot of sturm and drang. Just
ignore it. With a little practice, you can pick your way through and
get what you need. Also, your newsreader probably has filter
functions that will allow you to filter out a lot of the garbage.
Learn it, use it.

Welcome to rfc, and I hope Hopeful Cook will stick around.

nb

In article <[email protected]>,
Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:

> But seriously, I was no stranger to usenet when I started here but still
> thought this group was particularly vicious.

That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
vicious ones.

You want a nasty group, try misc.fitness.weights

Sci.med.nutrition is not much better. :p
--

Hopeful Cook wrote:
> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

As some others have pointed out - we are currently seeing a lot of cross
posting to this group that is totally irrelevant and annoying... Stick
around and you will get used to the "regulars" who generally stick to
cooking and related issues - although a few OT posts are not uncommon ;)
I have picked up some really good recipes and tips here, so don't give
up hope.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, I could detect no hint of
recipes, cooking tips or anything else having to do with this topic.

We would be happy to read what you have to say about the subject.

As they say, if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the
problem.

Whining about the whining doesn't diminish the whining.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

> I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
>
> Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> call a cooking group.

Whining about the whining doesn't diminish the whining.

I have detected nothing in your post about recipes, cooking tips or food
experiences.

I would be happy to read about your cooking experiences.

Please contribute to our group and ignore the garbage.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]