Where are the recipes & cooking tips?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Hopeful Cook, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. Hopeful Cook

    Hopeful Cook Guest

    I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.

    Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    call a cooking group.

    Tags:

  2. On Sun 12 Mar 2006 08:08:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Hopeful
    Cook?

    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    We do a lot of cooking and food and cooking discussion here, but you need
    to be a constant presence to catch it. It's a sharing and learning
    experience and a lot of camaraderie amidst what you may perceive as
    confusion.

    This is not a "recipe" group. If that's what you want, then you should
    probably read rec.food.recipes.

    Otherwise, join us on a more frequent basis.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:08:25 -0600, Hopeful Cook wrote:

    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    If you want recipes, no chat and nothing off topic, go to
    rec.food.recipes. You can continue to be silent and pretend to be a
    lurker.

  4. modom

    modom Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:08:25 -0600, [email protected] (Hopeful
    Cook) wrote:

    >I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    >believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    >and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    >and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    >Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    >not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    >call a cooking group.

    You didn't like the smoker pit picture?
    --
    modom

  5. Wayne Boatwright wrote on 12 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > This is not a "recipe" group. If that's what you want, then you should
    > probably read rec.food.recipes.
    >
    > Otherwise, join us on a more frequent basis.

    This NG is more like what happens around a kitchen table with friends and
    family. You have a beer/coffee, play cards, tell jokes, laugh about life,
    cry about life plus swap cooking ideas, recipes, and tips... Just like what
    happens at most middle class homes. Relaxed and informal as opposed to
    sitting around a formal dinning table all dressed up and watching your
    manners. Some of us have been posting here for many yrs. If you just want
    tried and true recipes use 'google groups' and check out the
    rec.food.cooking past postings or go elsewhere.

    --
    -Alan

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    It's because you take life too seriously...

    and do not own a real computer. ;-)

    Why is it that this type of whining only comes from Web Tv users?

    Sheesh!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    Cook) wrote:

    >I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    >believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    >and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    >and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    >Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    >not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    >call a cooking group.

    You're reading to much r.f.c. Shoose the topics that interest you
    (that are about cooking), and stop reading as soon as the thread
    turns south.

    A good rule of thumb is never read anything posted more than 3
    posts deep into a thread (or subthread). It helps if you have a
    threaded newsreader. The more indented the subject, the less
    value it will be.

    If you're reading random posts, or heaven forbid, *every* post,
    then you need to re-think your strategy.

    ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
    tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.

    -sw

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Hopeful Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    Have you read the posts today where people were talking about the bread
    they made; me I was asking questions about the chicken I made, people were
    sharing pictures of the dinner they made -- People talk about their produce,
    the stores they shop in, the cooking network -- drama? to me food, itself
    is one of the highest dramas of life! Why not be passionate about it?

    Try posing a question you have about a dish you are about to cook , a
    picture of something you've cooked, or a dish you particularly liked when
    you were eating out; maybe you'll like being a participant.
    Thanks for your post.
    Dee Dee

  9. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    Cook) wrote:

    >I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    >believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    >and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    >and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    >Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    >not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    >call a cooking group.

    It's an unmoderated group which means that there is no control over
    what is posted, other than whatever self-control we can muster to stay
    on topic.

    It also means that we get "invaded", as we are now, by people who have
    no interest in food/cooking, merely the desire to argue with each
    other in a public forum and annoy as many people as possible.

    It's bad enough we are subjected to such things. To add insult to
    injury, there are people who ask questions like "where are the recipes
    and cooking tips."

    There is nothing that can be done about any of this.
    Sue(tm)

  10. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Ask a cooking question and you'll get heaps of replies.
    Post a yummy recipe and we'll all drool.
    Don't read irrelevant posts, whatever rocks your boat as the boys say.

    Hi gang,
    I'm back; been travelling for a couple of weeks. Back on topic, I
    cooked what seemed to be a perfectly balanced 3-course dinner on Sat.
    night -
    Cold Cucumber Soup with fresh prawn(shrimp), tomato
    & mint salsa
    Baked snapper pieces served over tomato ribbon pasta tossed in pesto
    (pinenut&basil) with slow roasted tomato segments
    Fresh mango slices topped with blueberries warmed in Kangaroo Island
    honey and Honey & Cinnamon Yogurt
    Our friends who joined our table, said they were glad we were home!

    Cheers
    Bronnie
    Qld Oz

    Cheers
    Bron
    Oz

  11. Hopeful Cook wrote:
    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    Welcome to usenet! When you find an unmoderated group that stays on
    topic all the time, be sure to let me know. I'd be interested in the
    rare phenomenon. (I like it when scientists discover previously unknown
    species, too.) If you can't stand tension and debate, keep away from
    usenet and run for the hills. (Or check out quilting. If anyone has an
    opinion there, there's a hit mob to run after you.)

    But seriously, I was no stranger to usenet when I started here but still
    thought this group was particularly vicious. Then I realized that each
    time I asked a question, I got sarcastic answers, but I got a lot of
    helpful ones too. I've never asked a question about cooking or
    ingredients where I didn't get detailed, helpful advice. I've been
    amazed at how easy it is to get personal, expert information from a
    bunch of volunteers. I normally get an answer within minutes of asking.
    At the beginning, I sometimes had to clarify my question. Now I know
    how to ask.

    Because I believe that nothing in life is free, I "pay" for this service
    by answering the questions from others whenever I'm reasonably sure I
    know what I'm talking about or think someone would be interested in my
    take on a topic. It makes for a lively group. Maybe your first
    question should be how to use a killfile.

    --Lia

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
    > tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.
    >
    > -sw

    Steve, I thought that room temp was the norm. Sort of like Russian
    pasties. (SORT of, Bubba Vic. Calm down.)
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-8-2006, Mekong River Thai Cuisine

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:
    >
    > > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    > >
    > > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > > call a cooking group.
    > >

    > It's because you take life too seriously...
    >
    > and do not own a real computer. ;-)
    >
    > Why is it that this type of whining only comes from Web Tv users?
    >
    > Sheesh!

    That's the tough part about the written word vs the spoken word. I
    thought that Peter Aiken was being nasty about modom's food pics a while
    back and said so - Turns out, I read the snottiness into it.

    Now a lurker poses what appear to me to be legitimate questions and you
    accuse him/her of whining. And take a shot at his/her means of posting.
    Where was the whine? What did I miss?
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-8-2006, Mekong River Thai Cuisine

  14. Naomi

    Naomi Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    What everyone else said. Plus, a lot of the really crazy crap turns out
    to be crossposted to other groups, if you check the headers. Some of
    the posts you're reading are by people who have zero interest in
    cooking and may even be unaware that their posts are showing up in this
    group. It is not considered good usenet etiquette to crosspost but some
    people do it anyway for no clear reason. The group would look very
    different on most days if we didn't have that Chung nonsense, for
    example.

  15. Julia Altshuler wrote on 13 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Because I believe that nothing in life is free, I "pay" for this service
    > by answering the questions from others whenever I'm reasonably sure I
    > know what I'm talking about or think someone would be interested in my
    > take on a topic. It makes for a lively group. Maybe your first
    > question should be how to use a killfile.
    >

    > --Lia

    I am always interested on your take.

    --
    -Alan

  16. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-13, Hopeful Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.

    Like CurlySue has already stated, this is an unmoderated group. We
    have no control on who posts what. Like she also states, we get
    "invaded", every now and then. Right now, there are a bunch of
    religious zealots who delight in spilling over into our newsgroup.
    Also, a bunch of regulars have decided we are in need of more jokes
    than cooking discussion. These trends come and go. One reason, the
    regulars here have discussed every single food related subject to the
    death at least a couple times per year. Anyway, the tone of the group
    ebbs and flows and right now there's a lot of sturm and drang. Just
    ignore it. With a little practice, you can pick your way through and
    get what you need. Also, your newsreader probably has filter
    functions that will allow you to filter out a lot of the garbage.
    Learn it, use it.

    Welcome to rfc, and I hope Hopeful Cook will stick around.

    nb

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But seriously, I was no stranger to usenet when I started here but still
    > thought this group was particularly vicious.

    That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
    vicious ones.

    You want a nasty group, try misc.fitness.weights

    Sci.med.nutrition is not much better. :p
    --
    Peace, Om.

  18. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Hopeful Cook wrote:
    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    As some others have pointed out - we are currently seeing a lot of cross
    posting to this group that is totally irrelevant and annoying... Stick
    around and you will get used to the "regulars" who generally stick to
    cooking and related issues - although a few OT posts are not uncommon ;)
    I have picked up some really good recipes and tips here, so don't give
    up hope.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  19. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, I could detect no hint of
    recipes, cooking tips or anything else having to do with this topic.

    We would be happy to read what you have to say about the subject.

    As they say, if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the
    problem.

    Whining about the whining doesn't diminish the whining.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  20. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

    > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
    > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
    > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
    > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
    >
    > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
    > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
    > call a cooking group.

    Whining about the whining doesn't diminish the whining.

    I have detected nothing in your post about recipes, cooking tips or food
    experiences.

    I would be happy to read about your cooking experiences.

    Please contribute to our group and ignore the garbage.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]