Where are the recipes & cooking tips?

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:
>
> > I am only a lurker but I have been here many times and have yet to
> > believe that this is really a cooking group. What does all the tension
> > and debate have to do with cooking? There seems to be allot of drama
> > and hostility about subjects totally unrelated to cooking.
> >
> > Is it the rec. in the name of the group that makes it so different? I do
> > not mean to criticize but I just really do not understand why it is
> > call a cooking group.

> Whining about the whining doesn't diminish the whining.
>

> I have detected nothing in your post about recipes, cooking tips or food
> experiences.
>
> I would be happy to read about your cooking experiences.
>

> Please contribute to our group and ignore the garbage.

So I'm not the only one that took that post as whiny..... ;-)

Thanks Alan!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Thanks to all for your responses. Some of you helped me to undrstand
several things and I quite agree that I should have given things more
time and more investigation before making implecations. For that I
apologize. To those of you that found me to be a whiner you are
certainly entitled to your opinion but I did not intend to whine nor
will the fact that you called me one lessen my visits. I did not
realize that asking a sincere question was considered whining. To those
who pointed out that my post did not contain anything about recipes or
cooking tips I tend to disagree. I asked where they were. At the risk of
getting caught up in the debate and drama I will end this post.

May your kettles always be full. :)

HopefulCook

Hopeful Cook wrote:

>Thanks to all for your responses. Some of you helped me to undrstand
>several things and I quite agree that I should have given things more
>time and more investigation before making implecations. For that I
>apologize. To those of you that found me to be a whiner you are
>certainly entitled to your opinion but I did not intend to whine nor
>will the fact that you called me one lessen my visits. I did not
>realize that asking a sincere question was considered whining. To those
>who pointed out that my post did not contain anything about recipes or
>cooking tips I tend to disagree. I asked where they were. At the risk of
>getting caught up in the debate and drama I will end this post.
>
>May your kettles always be full. :)
>
>HopefulCook

Good on you! The bark's worse than the bite with most people here. I
didn't think you were whining, just a bit disoriented. The fact is that
rfc is pretty unusual in the way the regulars keep order. They actually
love newbies and are falling over themselves to hand out useful advice,
not to mention unsolicited opinions.

Silly questions will get silly answers of course, but if you think
somebody has been unfair to you, stand up for yourself!

I hope you don't just lurk. Join in, tell us what *you* think about things.

Cheers
Christine

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:13:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
>> tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.

>Steve, I thought that room temp was the norm. Sort of like Russian
>pasties. (SORT of, Bubba Vic. Calm down.)

<shrug> Beats me. I just assumed that since you cook them as a
meal (with sauteed onions sometimes), you serve them hot. Never
really thought about it, nor seen them served in restaurants -
except for in the movie "Men in Black".

-sw

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> I hope you don't just lurk. Join in, tell us what *you* think about things.
>
> Cheers
> Christine

Agreed, I do alot of lurking nowadays, but I enjoy this group for more
than the recipe & tip posts. Most of the people here are very interesting.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:19:49 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
> vicious ones.

Joined? This is a club? If it is, I'm not a dues paying memeber.
LOL

RFC was probably the first ng I found xx years ago and it didn't phase
me at all. I thought it was terrific place to find food related
topics and still do. Of course, now I own a paid version of my
newsreader so I can Kill at will.... which keeps rfc at its best for
me.

Hopeful Cook wrote:
> At the risk of
> getting caught up in the debate and drama I will end this post.

But don't end posting altogether (unless you want to). This group can
be opinionated and sarcastic, but we also have short memories. If you
jump in with a question, comment, recipe, tip, opinion, or description
of last night's dinner, you'll become a regular and get responses to
whatever you post.

--Lia

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:19:49 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

>> That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
>> vicious ones.

> Joined? This is a club? If it is, I'm not a dues paying memeber.
> LOL

Umm, actually you are, and you are *way* behind on your dues. If you
could send me a check at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob
Treasurer

zxcvbob <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:19:49 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>

>>> That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
>>> vicious ones.

>> Joined? This is a club? If it is, I'm not a dues paying memeber.
>> LOL
>>

> Umm, actually you are, and you are *way* behind on your dues. If you
> could send me a check at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob
> Treasurer

It's a $1000 per year. So how many years dues are owed?

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:19:49 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
> > vicious ones.

> Joined? This is a club? If it is, I'm not a dues paying memeber.
> LOL

Sssssshhhh, don't tell Barb! She's gonna send you a bill! =)

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:13:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
> >> tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.

> >Steve, I thought that room temp was the norm. Sort of like Russian
> >pasties. (SORT of, Bubba Vic. Calm down.)

> <shrug> Beats me. I just assumed that since you cook them as a
> meal (with sauteed onions sometimes), you serve them hot. Never
> really thought about it, nor seen them served in restaurants -
> except for in the movie "Men in Black".
>
> -sw

You definitely eat them hot. But they would probably
be okay cold, too, in a pinch. I fell in love with
them years ago at the California Renaissance Faire.
That was one of the main reasons I went every year.
That and the half a cantaloupe with a scoop of vanilla
ice cream and raspberry sauce over it. They had
great food there. Sigh. The PA Renaissance Festival
is not nearly as good, food-wise. Anyway, when I moved
back to PA I learned how to make my own.

Kate

Kate Connally wrote:
I fell in love with
> them years ago at the California Renaissance Faire.
> That was one of the main reasons I went every year.
> That and the half a cantaloupe with a scoop of vanilla
> ice cream and raspberry sauce over it. They had
> great food there. Sigh. The PA Renaissance Festival
> is not nearly as good, food-wise. Anyway, when I moved
> back to PA I learned how to make my own.
>
> Kate

So I take it Ren Faires feel no obligation to serve historically
accurate food? I'm kinda surprised, yet I understand how hard that would
be...?
Goomba

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

> Thanks to all for your responses. Some of you helped me to undrstand
> several things and I quite agree that I should have given things more
> time and more investigation before making implecations. For that I
> apologize. To those of you that found me to be a whiner you are
> certainly entitled to your opinion but I did not intend to whine nor
> will the fact that you called me one lessen my visits. I did not
> realize that asking a sincere question was considered whining. To those
> who pointed out that my post did not contain anything about recipes or
> cooking tips I tend to disagree. I asked where they were. At the risk of
> getting caught up in the debate and drama I will end this post.
>
> May your kettles always be full. :)
>
> HopefulCook

Much better. ;-)

I apologize for being a *****, and welcome to the list!

Please understand, this is a cooking list but in case you are not
accustomed to usenet lists, they tend to be a bit of a "community".
Hell, people even meet on these lists and get married!

While the vast majority of postings will be about food, there will be a
host of other conversations going on.

For a real fun time, try signing into the chat sometime when it's up and
running!

Cheers!
--

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:19:49 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >

> >> That's odd... When I first joined it, I found it to be one of the less
> >> vicious ones.

> > Joined? This is a club? If it is, I'm not a dues paying memeber.
> > LOL
> >

> Umm, actually you are, and you are *way* behind on your dues. If you
> could send me a check at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob
> Treasurer

<snork> Nice try Bob...... ;-D
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> ObFood: Room temp piroshkies ain't bad. Leftovers from earlier
> >> tonight that hadn't been moved out of the pan.

> >Steve, I thought that room temp was the norm. Sort of like Russian
> >pasties. (SORT of, Bubba Vic. Calm down.)

> <shrug> Beats me. I just assumed that since you cook them as a
> meal (with sauteed onions sometimes), you serve them hot. Never
> really thought about it, nor seen them served in restaurants -
> except for in the movie "Men in Black".

Okay, so what is it you are both talking about??? Pirozhki (Russian
word, and please notice the spelling), or pierogi (Polish word)? The
former are baked or fried pastries/pasties, they are never a meal and
never served with sautéed onions; the latter are boiled (and sometimes
subsequently pan-fried by the clueless or barbarous) dumplings, they are
often enough served with fried onions and little pieces of bacon.
Pirozhki are eaten hot or cold (room temperature); pierogi are normally
eaten hot only. Anything else is a personal preference/perversity.

Victor

"Victor Sack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hc7p2h.2gnfzlnqf1zeN%[email protected]...
> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

>> <shrug> Beats me. I just assumed that since you cook them as a
>> meal (with sauteed onions sometimes), you serve them hot. Never
>> really thought about it, nor seen them served in restaurants -
>> except for in the movie "Men in Black".

> Okay, so what is it you are both talking about??? Pirozhki (Russian
> word, and please notice the spelling), or pierogi (Polish word)? The
> former are baked or fried pastries/pasties, they are never a meal and
> never served with sautéed onions; the latter are boiled (and sometimes
> subsequently pan-fried by the clueless or barbarous) dumplings, they are
> often enough served with fried onions and little pieces of bacon.
> Pirozhki are eaten hot or cold (room temperature); pierogi are normally
> eaten hot only. Anything else is a personal preference/perversity.

I was wondering that too. My mother is Russian and we usually have Pirozhki
hot. this sautéed onions bit really had me stumped - I'd never heard of it.

Jen

In article <[email protected]>,
Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:

> You definitely eat them hot. But they would probably
> be okay cold, too, in a pinch. I fell in love with
> them years ago at the California Renaissance Faire.
> That was one of the main reasons I went every year.
> That and the half a cantaloupe with a scoop of vanilla
> ice cream and raspberry sauce over it. They had
> great food there. Sigh. The PA Renaissance Festival
> is not nearly as good, food-wise. Anyway, when I moved
> back to PA I learned how to make my own.

According to this site, there are 30 of these in California, and 5 in PA:

http://www.renfaire.com/Sites/state.html

I was always fascinated by the ribs. They were whole ribs, two or three
feet long. The one we went to has been closed for some time. I have a
costume that my wife made for me.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

In article <1hc7p2h.2gnfzlnqf1zeN%[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >Steve, I thought that room temp was the norm. Sort of like Russian
> > >pasties. (SORT of, Bubba Vic. Calm down.)

> > <shrug> Beats me. I just assumed that since you cook them as a
> > meal (with sauteed onions sometimes), you serve them hot. Never
> > really thought about it, nor seen them served in restaurants -
> > except for in the movie "Men in Black".

> Okay, so what is it you are both talking about??? Pirozhki (Russian
> word, and please notice the spelling), or pierogi (Polish word)? The
> former are baked or fried pastries/pasties, they are never a meal and
> never served with sautéed onions; the latter are boiled (and sometimes
> subsequently pan-fried by the clueless or barbarous)

Clueless Barbarian reporting in, Sir!! Bite me! "-)

--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-8-2006, Mekong River Thai Cuisine

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hopeful Cook) wrote:

> Thanks to all for your responses. Some of you helped me to undrstand
> several things and I quite agree that I should have given things more
> time and more investigation before making implecations. For that I
> apologize. To those of you that found me to be a whiner you are
> certainly entitled to your opinion but I did not intend to whine nor
> will the fact that you called me one lessen my visits. I did not
> realize that asking a sincere question was considered whining. To those
> who pointed out that my post did not contain anything about recipes or
> cooking tips I tend to disagree. I asked where they were. At the risk of
> getting caught up in the debate and drama I will end this post.
>
> May your kettles always be full. :)
>
> HopefulCook

Hey! I stood up for you, Ms. Cook! I didn't think you were whining!
Like so much in life, it's about perception.
Don't let the bastards wear you down! Stick around. (Sounds like you
plan to.)
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-15-06, Sam I Am! Hamantaschen and

Goomba38 wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
> I fell in love with
> > them years ago at the California Renaissance Faire.
> > That was one of the main reasons I went every year.
> > That and the half a cantaloupe with a scoop of vanilla
> > ice cream and raspberry sauce over it. They had
> > great food there. Sigh. The PA Renaissance Festival
> > is not nearly as good, food-wise. Anyway, when I moved
> > back to PA I learned how to make my own.
> >
> > Kate

> So I take it Ren Faires feel no obligation to serve historically
> accurate food?

Well, who's to say they didn't have piroshkis during
the Renaissance? Now the cantaloupe thing I guess is
definitely out of place. But I'm not all that gung ho
on the accuracy thing as long as the food is good. ;-)

Kate