Where are you from,what do you do?

I'm from Kauai HI, I am a tour boat captain for Holoholo Charters. I ride as much as I can and not enough when I can't. I ride a 03' Bullit DH/FR and a 02' bullit XC/FR.

Aloha All

e-male said:
Yes, Vo2, I am certainly going to try. I did it last year, although I did not do much training. I have the Argus 3 times. However, I am not yet in the sub-3 category.

What about you? Any sparkling tips, drugs ;) (hehehe), boosters etc?
I'm from Southern USA,58,Drive a train,used to race yrs ago but like to piddle now. Trade and maintian 60's-80's classic bikes.I'm stuck on Steel,Lugs, and NR CAMPY

I'm from Tallahassee Florida. I'm an Electrical Engineer and sometimes bike builder. I ride my Rans Screamer with the secure knowledge that my wife is right behind me. This weekend we are riding the Southern version of TOSRV, double Century.

Hello,
I'm a recumbent (Easy Racer TE) rider from the San Francisco Bay area. Various questions I have bring me to different forums. Glad to find this one with such a large 'Bent section.
My current question is about the fattest tire I can put on my current rims. I have Sun rims, an AT18 on the front (20") with a PRIMO 37-406 tire, and a CR18 on the rear (26"), with a Kenda Mongoose 37-622 tire.
I'm going to ride the "Hiawatha Trail" in Montana which is an old RR right of way. Not paved but "hard packed dirt/gravel". I'm figuring a fatter tire with kevlar may save me some potential flats on this trail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gramps

Any of this sound familiar?
Started riding/racing in England when Mafac was hitech and Tommy Simpson made Peugeot cool. I had a Raphael Geminiani with all those curly Nervex lugs. Wrapped it around a car in a time trial, head down for speed. Then I rode some other stuff 'till I sold that beautiful Falcon so I could buy a motor bike and go to college........
Jump forward a few years and a continent or two and..... I now have some scarily light and deceptivly efficient modern bikes. These days I generally ride a lance-look-alike-carbon-everything-shimano-dura-ugly-so-light-it-climbs-hills-on-its-own.....
I kinda like it, but..... a couple of years ago I rescued my old late '70s (when 24lbs was light) Austro-Daimler from my sisters cellar in England, re-built it ground up and put it on the road. Its all Campy Neuvo Record, Brooks Pro', toe clips with leather straps!!! etc. It came out so beautifully that it reminded me what it was about bikes that got me riding in the first place! I've built a couple of others since. A Univega with Delta and Record-C (quite lite)and Raleigh with STEEL Gran Sport (quite heavy) I ride them a lot. Light's not everything! Know what I mean?

I know just what you mean. I went to Hastings Mi yesterday to the WizWheelz factory. I called and made an appointment since it's the factory and I live just 32 miles from it. I got the royal tour and seen how the trikes are made. Unbelievable to say the least. I got to ride a TerraTrike TT 3.6 around the parking lot a while. What a ride! I had thought about a recumbent also, this trike is something else and it'll be my next bike.

Look at my web site in my signature. There is a link to the WizWheelz factory on my site and a picture of the TT 3.6 See how much I think of the bike? Good luck with your decision. :)

Umm, I'm a fatguy. I eat food and lots of it. My wife doesn't like me to be fat, so now I am going to bike lots, but I'll be eating the whole ride as well...mmmm food. I'm in the process of putting a road bike together from parts bought on ebay. It's been educational, diffficult, frustrating and fun. thats about it. Oh, I live in Michigan in the U.S. :eek: thought i'd use one of those smile guys. it wasn't as fufilling as I had hoped it might be. Maybe I'll try again later.

I'm from New York but have been living in Japan for nearly 2 years now and no plans to return to the states in the near future. Here for at least another year, which is when my teaching contract ends. Probably stay longer. Other than cycling (which is fantastic in Japan, btw) and teaching English, I study Japanese... play chess... do a half-decent job at keeping aquariums and a less than decent job at keeping plants. In other words, other than cycling and teaching English, I'm not doing much. But that's cuz cycling is soooo good here, especially where I am, in northern Japan. Especially in spring.
Anyway - currently have a Trek 4100 MTB and am looking at buying a road bike real soon.

Carless said:
Hello! I live in Toronto Canada in a cycle friendly downtown neighbourhood. I am trying to help this bicycle club with menu planning for a bike rally this summer and the question is, for a group of 200 cyclists of various abilities and appetites, what would constitute a good bagged lunch to satisfy most riders? Something that would survive the summer heat and sun... ie. something that is not too quick to spoil without refrigeration! Ride durations are estimated to be 5-6 hours with 1 hour lunch, distances between 50-120++km. Some people like to carry things in a rack, others will likely be trying to tie it to their handlebars... don't think most will have cooler type bags to store their lunches in. Any ideas? Suggestions? ... :)
Hi I am a recumbent builder from Hamilton Can you send me more details about your ride. I am interested in particapating. One component of your lunch could be trail mix snack bars. These have exellent energy value, and are more agreable to most folk than soy based energy bars. Unless they they are intolerant to nuts.

Commutist said:
Howdy everyone!

I live in Oregon, USA and am just getting back into bicycling after about 10 years away. I'm about 30 pounds overweight (too much dark beer) and have been in the "fat-n-lazy" club for too long. Time to change!

My first goal is to get a good commuting bike that I can ride on roads or trails, and that I can attach some small bags to for taking lunch to work, stowing raingear, etc. I've been looking pretty hard at the Trek X500 as it seems like a great all-round bike for commuting and riding around town or on well-maintained trails.

Eventually I'm going to get a good road bike for riding longer distances. One of my goals is to start participating in the Cycle Oregon ride each year.

Hope to see you out there!

I am trying to reply to your message and hope that I do not mess this up. I too am about 30 lbs. overweight. I changed over to a Specialized Roubaix in place of my old (8? yrs old) (no problems, new tires) Softrider touring bike. This bike might the right for you. I weight about 235, 6' tall. The carbon fiber bar is very forgiving of heavier riders, although you need to practice good pedal form at higher effort levels to avoid bouncing. This particular model has three drive cogs in front, and you can granny up the very steepest hills with it. I know I won't get too much for this on ebay or elsewhere, but if you are interested and want to pay shipping I will furnish more details. Good luck in your riding! Pete

I am from Illinois. And not Chicago. The Quad-Cities. I am retired from Case New Holland (Combine Plant - East Moline, Il.) and now work in Davenport,Ia. building CNC Mills for the jewely industry. This is my 34 year of riding. I do not race, but I really enjoy riding. I have 5 road bikes and 1 mountain bike. So you can tell what kind of riding I do most.

peet9471 said:
I'm from Alabama, USA and work in juvenile law inforcement. I ride both road and trail bikes usually every day.

I've got a question for you. There is probably a discussion forum out there and maybe one in this group that addresses this issue, but I thought that your background and cycling combined might help me look into it. Every once in a while I get harrassed by car or truck riders. This is infrequent, but as you know distressing when it happens. The other day I had six (6) young guys in a pickup truck blow the horn repeatedly at my wife and then shout at me and give me the finger, etc. while driving in front of me. They were pretty agressive sounding, but didn't actually stop the truck. I was wondering what I would do if they stopped the truck.

What's your advice about dealing with attackers? I'm not interested in carrying a gun, but have considered a taser (I have a carry permit, Florida).
Since this incident I've strapped a tactical baton to my bike so that I have something in my hand. I know I can improvise a sand-filled sock or stick or something, but when you're wearing cycle shoes its not easy to get them off quick and they hamper movement. I think that having a weapon makes sense. On the other hand, you deal with these fine young gentlemen on a daily basis and I thought that you might have some ideas.

Any ideas you might have would be welcome. Enjoy your riding!

Hi...I am Len. I spend my summers in my NJ home where I have my business of 36 years and my 3 wonderful grand children. I spend the winters in the Scottsdale, AZ area while my older son runs our motorcycle and watercraft dealerships.
I am going to be 60 this Oct and got back into biking Jan 2004 as a way to lose weight and get back into shape. Well, I lost 45 pounds in 6 months without any of the fad diets. I went from size 40 waist to a 33 and trimmed my 6 foot frame out at a solid 167 pounds. I ride my road bike about 150 miles a week when weather is good...or do spin classes when I can't ride. I am riding a Trek Madone 5.2 and love the sport. I even got several of my golf buddies into biking and we ride as a group at least once a week in place of playing golf.
I just finished reading a great book by Lance Armstrong. I am sure many of you have read it but it you have't, I suggest you do. It's title is "It's Not About The Bike...My Journey Back to Life". To me Lance is what a role model should be for our youth. This down to earth book is very inspirational and I have passed it along to whoever will listen to me. Once you finish his first book I am sure you will do exactly what I did, read his second book, "Every Second Counts", another great book.
Feel free to contact me. Have a great ride...and remember this is not a dress rehearsal for life!

Hello,
my name is Taliya, I live in San Francisco.
I have never owned and will never own a car, so my bicycle is my only mode of transportation. I ride it everywhere, to school, work, everywhere possible, and i land up doing probably 20 miles a day just in commuting. I also try to do 40+ mile rides 2 or 3 times a week.
I think riding a bicycle is the most amazing depiction of sheer human power, it is amazing to me.
This summer I am riding across the country from SF to DC....
so thats what i do
nice to meet u

oh yeah
p.s. if anyone out there lives in the bay area and wants to do some long back to back trainging rides with me (im thinking 75 miles out, camp somewhere and 75 miles back thenext day...or something..) give me a shout.
or if you just want to go for a short ride give me a shout anyways, i am always looking for riding partners...

taliya

Where: Windsor, ON, Canada

What I do: This ones a but tougher, I just finished my B.Th (Bachelor of Theology) and I’ve been worked two jobs for the last while. My real job is working with jr. high aged students as a pastor in a local church, while my job that lets me get the rest of the bills paid is a server at a restaurant.

Training: I also find time to bike eight-ish hours a week, on the dirt as much as possible.

Cycling Goals: At the beginning of June I’m heading out to British Columbia to start a cross Canada bike trip.

Hi,

I'm from the States, however, I live and work in Germany. I have a recumbent trike that I ride around Europe. I then write about my rides and post copious pictures on our site at www.bentmiles.com

I doubt there are any better biking trails than right here in Germany. I'm a school teacher for the Americans here in Wuerzburg and have my summers free to ride. I have a 200 plus mile ride slated along the Neckar river for this summer. I want to do another 200 plus along the Danube.

I plan to camp along the way. This will add another 55 lbs to my 42 lbs trike. Add my 220 and these old knees and legs will have their work cut out for them.

lloyd
publisher www.bentmiles.com

My name is Kathy, I am an orthopedic nurse in Tempe, AZ. I use my bike, a recumbent, for commuting to work, recreation, errands, etc. I am trying to become car-free, though the huge metro area here and the brutal summer heat make that goal a real challenge. Still, I manage to only have to use the car when hauling grandkids or other large loads or when my destination makes a shower or clothing change impossible. I average between 100-140 mi. per week and love every minute that I am on my bike.:)

Well, welcome to the forum. If you enjoy bike tours, you may like visiting our bike touring magazine. We take tours all over Europe and the write about them. We post copious pictures as well.

Again welcome.
bentmiles
publisher www.bentmiles.com