Where are you from,what do you do?

[quote author=knivesout link=board=6;threadid=312;start=225#21291 date=1033264706]<br />hmm this is an interesting thread... im nikolai im from the us amd i am rec cyclist dont do many races, ride whenever i can but track and x country running make it so that i dont get on a bicycle as much as i would like...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Welcome to the forum.....we need more US members so make sure you tell your friends about us ;)<br /><br />cheers!<br />

New here!<br /><br />I am from Northumberland in the North East of England,<br /><br />I work (part time only now) as a local authority housing site supervisor.<br /><br />I am into road bikes and mountain bikes only as a recreation rider.

I'm from Essex, UK. I work in Londn as a bond and interest rate broker. I've also done some work as a Soigneur for some Euro based Pro teams.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and I work coordinating and running a couple of distance learning subjects at a university for Open Learning Australia. With any luck I'll be accepted to work on some stuff for the African Virtual University as well :)<br /><br />I was 'just' a recreational cyclist a few years ago, however at the beginning of this year I got back into it a little more seriously (and have collected a few expensive new toys along the way :) ) Mainly commuting (25km each way) and riding on some lesser-used local paths (35-60km).<br /><br />I ride a hardtail MTB w/ slicks at the moment, but since watching the TdF on TV, I am starting to feel a need to buy a road bike to go along with it :D I just have to get over the mental hurdle of thinking that something so light is going to be a) fragile and b) expensive when the inevitable from a) occurs ... :)<br />

Hi<br />Live in Sydney. <br />Like road racing and off roading ( soil erosion) ;). I ride everyday on the racer and do alot of camping with the mountainbike. Work in the boating industry . Don't know anything about boats though - I just build the suckers.<br /><br />cheers

Hi,<br /><br />I'm from The Netherlands, been biking for the last 6 months now, after not having been on a bike for like the past 15 years.<br /><br />I started to ride a bike in order to lose some weight, which worked pretty well, i've managed to lose 42kg in 5 months (my weight is around 70kgs now), and i'm now still able to keep it off ;-)<br /><br />I ride mostly on my MTB (although mostly on the road), but i'm now using my road bike more and more (probably needed to getting used to the bike ;-) )<br /><br />I ride 35km on a (almost) daily basis and usually 60-70km during the weekend days, i don't have a real training schedule, but try to get faster anyways now that i've reached my weightloss goals. My average speed is now around 28-30km/u (on my roadbike, on my MTB its around 26-28km/u), when i just started it was something like 18km/u ;-)...<br /><br />And most importantly, for some reason i really like to ride a bike and i'm getting more and more fanatical about it ;-) , this is something which surprised me the most, as i have never been much of a sporty kind of guy.<br /><br />Oh yeah, during office hours i'm an IT manager.<br />

Wow, sounds good Devil, I wonder if that would be a recommended training schedule? Build muscle by cycling with 112 kg's and then slowly work your way down to 70kg's. You must be a demon on the hills now, and we all try losing 300 grams on some bike component costing thousands of Rands (100's of dollars). Puts that madness into perspective doesn't it.<br /><br />Sheesh, 42 kg's over 6 months, do your mates still recognise you?

[quote author=Rhodent link=board=6;threadid=312;start=240#21925 date=1035812918]<br />Wow, sounds good Devil, I wonder if that would be a recommended training schedule? Build muscle by cycling with 112 kg's and then slowly work your way down to 70kg's. You must be a demon on the hills now, and we all try losing 300 grams on some bike component costing thousands of Rands (100's of dollars). Puts that madness into perspective doesn't it.<br /><br />Sheesh, 42 kg's over 6 months, do your mates still recognise you?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, we don't really have hills in this country so i wouldn't know, but i can maintain a fairly good speed for long times, even with strong head winds ;-) A lot of times my co-rider is struggling in the wind, and i'm not even breaking a sweat :)<br /><br />I never expected to loose the weight this fast.. but i'm real glad it did ;-)<br /><br />And yes, i've had some people walk right by me ;-)

Hi All<br /><br />Where<br /><br />I live in Swakopmund, Namibia. I grew up in Namibia and South Africa (Cape Town and Pretoria).<br /><br />Why<br /><br />I started road cycling two years ago, basically to lose weight so that I won't get injuried running, trying to loose weight... ??? Not much has happened on this front yet &gt;:(<br />You could say I am to cycling what golfers would call a &quot;weekend hacker&quot;.<br /><br />This part of the world is actually ideal MB country with thousands of km of desert, so I may be adding a Mountian Bike to my collection (just don't tell my wife!)<br /><br />I did the Windhoek cycle classic over 100km last year in October. This is Namibia's premier cycling event with about 1000 participants (We are only 1.8 million in the country) ;D&quot;<br />I entered again this year and managed to shave 25 minutes off last years time. :D<br />The aim for next year is a sub 3:30<br /><br />Will still do the Argus.... entered for it this year but could not make it... just as well as I understand that some of the groups where scrapped due to hot weather!!!<br />

I'm new - from Montreal. I commute once or twice a week 27 km each way, Its a fairly easy ride along cycle paths and quiet roads, with a climb of about 120 ft over the St Lawrence river and the seaway. We had a bit of snow today.

Welcome guys! Our first Canadian (I think) and our first Namibian. Still missing are the Russians and the South Americans.

I'm from Sydney Australia, i'm 22 and an industrial chemist which means i work the worlds stupidest shifts and try to train around them.<br /><br />Currently getting back into cycling after a layoff due to having my bike nicked. I was doing a lot of running and stuff but then the Doctor told me to stop and so to avoid getting fat i just HAD to go and buy myself a shiny new bike (well thats my excuse anyway)<br /><br />I ride just to keep fit but after doing the Sydney to Gong ride i am thinking about getting a bit more serious with the aim of doing some racing.

Hi, Y'all!<br />I'm new to this site...I live in the Hill Country area of Texas, between San Antonio and Austin. Lot's of great riding most of the year. I'm an electrician (IBEW), and have been cycling 3 years; started at age 50.

Hello you great cyclists from all over the world. I'm from Amersfoort, The Netherlands.<br /><br />Today the weather was nice, so I biked for 2 hours in the sun. Very nice for the time of the year.<br /><br />Bike as much as you can.<br /><br />Greetz.

right now in St Louis MO, even though I was born in the UK and my folks live in Ithaca NY. Geology student here, loving it.<br /><br />NwBker

[quote author=Mirun link=board=6;threadid=312;start=150#3414 date=1017392070]<br />
<br /><br />Hello to everyone!<br /><br />I've just discovered this forum. It took me some two hours of reading to decide to register, 'cause I'm impressed by what i've managed to read here. It's good to know that there is quite a number of people out there, who are really interested in cycling... Please, do not shoot me ... I mean - people for whom cycling is the greatest passion of all.<br /><br />A few words about myself then..<br /><br />I live in Poland ( pretty exotic, isn't it ?  ;) ) a country where cycling is moderately popular, because of the lack of good results by 'our' pros - i believe. I am 24 and getting more and more keen on cycling each year. I am mostly a cycling spectator (cycling is pretty badly covered in Poland, so I have to use a sat dish to get myself exposed to events happening in the pro cycling), due to a fact that i injured my knee pretty badly last year ( while playing basketball  :'(). My doctor said that I should not overdo with riding, so I let myself do not more than 150 miles a week( if the doctor only knew....). <br />As I mentioned I love spending hours in front of a tv watching top riders compete. My favourite classic race is Fleche Wallone, taking place in Belgium in mid-april ( i wonder why it is not a world cup race with whole bunch of top riders taking part ? ).<br />All right, i'd better cut that hopeless flood of words. Anyway I am glad to have foud the forum and wish all the best to all the members and just-readers - enjoy 2002 season both in the saddle and in front of tv.
<br /><br />  <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Fleche Wallone not a world cup race: too many of those in Belgium already I guess. Although I'm Belgian and hate to admit it I think the UCI is right to give other races in the not-traditionally-cycling-countries a higher ranking. Helps to spread the virus ;)<br /><br />Something about myself then:<br />Niek, 29, Belgian, Live in Gistel - yes that's where Musseeuw lives, great cycling fan, have been racing when I was 15-16, not quite good enough though :'(, just picked up biking myself again after a couple of years inactivity<br />Currently rebuilding my base and hoping to try out a few not associated races next year. See if I'm good enough to compete with the weekend racers