Where are you from,what do you do?

SilentShifter said:
Hey everyone!!

My name is Jason I'm 24 years old, and I just stumbled across this page earlier today. I have had some mountain bike experience in the past but nothing serious.

I really want to get into road biking and have looked at the 2005 Trek 1500, specialized allez and the fuji roubaix. I am 6ft 3in tall so I guess I would need a 60cm/Large traditional frame bike or a 58cm compact frame.

It seems that the Trek 1500 has the most for the money. I only want to spend about $1k. Any input would really help!:confused:

The only concerns I have, which have kept me from purchasing a road bike this long are (1) the narrow road tires - make me nervous coming from a massive mountain bike tire (2) the wrecks have gotta hurt compared to crashing in the dirt!:eek: hahaha, go easy on me, here.

Anyway, any input or help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all!

-J
Hi Silentshifter You will love roading once you are there for a while narrow tires just have to pick the roads and watch the pavement ahead i worry more about the traffic on busy highways N.A. drivers have not the courtousy that Euopean drivers do I have a Trek 5200 and love it my daughter just bought a 1500 and she is thrilled i would highly recommend for a grand best 1000 you will spend try ebay sometimes get a great buy on a year old mint bike the other day a 5200 1.5 yrs old less than 600 mi. went for 1250 was mint condition new 2700 good luck and good roading cheers ds

I really want to get into road biking and have looked at the 2005 Trek 1500, specialized allez and the fuji roubaix. I am 6ft 3in tall so I guess I would need a 60cm/Large traditional frame bike or a 58cm compact frame.

It seems that the Trek 1500 has the most for the money. I only want to spend about $1k. Any input would really help!:confused:

The only concerns I have, which have kept me from purchasing a road bike this long are (1) the narrow road tires - make me nervous coming from a massive mountain bike tire (2) the wrecks have gotta hurt compared to crashing in the dirt!:eek: hahaha, go easy on me, here.

Anyway, any input or help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all!

-J[/QUOTE]

I too was a bit intimidated by the skinny tires but I find that they are quite stable and forgiving as long as you maintain balance and a "quiet" body. If you are going to be getting serious about cycling, I suggest you go to a "serious" cycling shop. They will know what best willsiut your needs based upon what yo tell them about your plans. When I first started cycling I tuned-up a 1987 Raleigh Prestige USA Racing bike that I bought at a garage sale for @ $40 six years prior. I rode that POS for about two weeks before getting frustrated enough to invest in a modern cycle that I wouldn't out grow in less that a year. I now ride a Seven Alaris. I will never experience bike envy and I'll be happy if I ever get close to the bike potential.
aim high and keep rollin'

MikeFormaldehyd said:
Yo, Im from Oklahoma City, OK. Im just getting into cycling because of my political stance and beacuse I would like a healthier way to get around. So, thought this would be a good place to ask questions and the like. Uh, I aint got much more to say, so take it easy!
Hi Mike i agree biking is the best exersize no hard impact easy on the joints great lower body and if climb enough hills great aerobic and upper body ecofriendly and saves a ton of money in a year if you live in the city you may even take the insurance of the motor beast haha! good to talk bikes cheers ds

Got Millked said:
Born in New York and BMX'ed in the Syracuse-Liverpool area back in the early 1980's..... stole money from my aunties+uncles safe to finance my bike addiction (better than stealing money and doing drugs, right?). Spent about $2,000.00 on a beautiful Pro-Neck "National Pro" with Redline Flight 180mm cranks - DK alloy hubs - super light 20"x1.5" Araya aluminum alloy drilled-out rims - all sealed-bearings - raced it in the EBA with some promising results - got stolen.

Did hard labor as a busboy in a restaurant in NYC at 13-14 years old and saved enough dough for a new Skyway TA ("Totally Aerodynamic" :rolleyes: ) with Profile cranks (a more manageable 175mm) DK alloy stem/headset CW handlebars two sets of Skyway Tuff Wheels (color-matched Tuff brake pads does not leave color-matched brake-pad smear on Tuff wheels!) Dia-Compe MX-900 brakes and so many other good stuff I can't recall. I was one of the top bunny-hoppers in New York back then. Moved overseas that year and never BMX'ed again.

I'm a reborn cyclist now, thanks due in part to media coverage of the Tour De France and Lance's story as an athlete and competitor. Bought a 24" mountain-bike-like jalopy for only $79.99 at the local Targets (didn't realize until later that the sticker on head-tube says: "Ladies Bike" :mad: but looks like a heavy-duty guys' bike!). But the dang thing weighs 38 pounds and is quite difficult to even maintain 21+MPH on flats!

But I've been riding HARD FAST and LONG on it for the last few months with much climbs to boot here in the eastern Los Angeles area where I've been living for the last 10+ years. I think my 36y.o. body need more recovery time! My urban riding experience from childhood days in NYC has prepared me extremely well for the urban traffic conditions here! I'd be blazin' rippin' & zippin' through local traffic and its laws in both daily commutes as well as fiery leisure rides........ JUST WAIT UNTIL I GETS ME AN 18 POUND ROAD RACER!!! (as long as i don't kill myself first). Any recommendz? The Fuji Team in "Plutonium" seems like a hot value, but I don't dig the triple-chainrings at the front; preferring the 2-chainring which is all I need from my experience on my $79.99 jalopy.
Hi GotMilked Great to here you want to road and go fast there is nothing better than going 50km sorry my Canadian crazy measurement 'aboot' 32mph on smooth road you the bike and the road feel like one and you are litterly floating it is so cool I'm 55 and ride a carbon fiber Trek it makes me feel young every morning i hit the road and sets up the rest of the day like nothing else can do good roading cheers ds PS. Yes stay with the 2 chain ring

The Rookie said:

-J
I too was a bit intimidated by the skinny tires but I find that they are quite stable and forgiving as long as you maintain balance and a "quiet" body. If you are going to be getting serious about cycling, I suggest you go to a "serious" cycling shop. They will know what best willsiut your needs based upon what yo tell them about your plans. When I first started cycling I tuned-up a 1987 Raleigh Prestige USA Racing bike that I bought at a garage sale for @ $40 six years prior. I rode that POS for about two weeks before getting frustrated enough to invest in a modern cycle that I wouldn't out grow in less that a year. I now ride a Seven Alaris. I will never experience bike envy and I'll be happy if I ever get close to the bike potential.
aim high and keep rollin'[/QUOTE]
reply to silentshifter and rookie I agree narrow tires are a little scary at first just stay off gravel until you have lots of miles in once you get there you will love road biking a good used road bike well set up fitted well and you will fall in love all over again this time it will be even better than the first haha! CHEERS! ds

Hi there, everyone. I'm from Florida and I'm fairly new to cycling. I have a few questions. It seems that everyone here really knows their stuff.

I live in Washington state. Left biking 20 years ago. Started back up last year and just purchased a Trek 6700 for commuting. Man oh man have things changed! Went on a very long ride this past weekend and discovered that underwear under bike shorts is rather painful:eek:. Where does one find the seamless kind or are their skins available? Also disc brakes, with all the road dirt is there a way to clean them simply?

Yarraville, Melbourne
new in the game in the midst of finding what bike to buy??? any ideas looking at the giant farrago 06 model at moment, possibly with the PD AS20 pedals.

dalescott649 said:
Hi GotMilked Great to here you want to road and go fast there is nothing better than going 50km sorry my Canadian crazy measurement 'aboot' 32mph on smooth road you the bike and the road feel like one and you are litterly floating it is so cool I'm 55 and ride a carbon fiber Trek it makes me feel young every morning i hit the road and sets up the rest of the day like nothing else can do good roading cheers ds PS. Yes stay with the 2 chain ring
Yeah, 2 chainrings it is! I guess that tiny 3rd chainring is used for climbing 100%+ grades or somethin'...... I've heard much about the latest carbon fiber frame/fork advances that combine both the power-transmitting stiffness as well as vibration dampening, which may be part contributor to your smooth-floating ride, though you're probably a regularly-upbeat guy and'll feel like that anyways! I've been checking out Specialized' carbon frames and forks with "Zertz'" vibration absorbers; look like silicone-rubber inserts that "assists" the carbon structure in dampening of road vibrations. LA-suburbia has better roads than my old hometown of NYC (good place to try and crack frames and forks and untrue rims), though still pretty rough for a nice $2,000.00 road bike...... I may very well consider a Cyclocross-type of bike..... much like a road racer, but beefier tires (and wheels?). I don't wanna have to true the wheels every 100 miles! Ciao for now! :)

I'm Nicky, from the UK moving to Sydney beginning of October. I race every weekend (gluton for punishment), I train practically everyday in other words, you could say I'm quite serious.

I know nothing about racing in Aus, how the teams work, who to train with, so if any of you can offer any advice, let me know. I'm looking forward to riding in the sunshine and drinking coffee by the beach. It beats sitting in the office on a rainy day looking at the motorway!

:D

As propagated by the profile page just after registering, here it is. My first post, saying hello to the cycling community. Located in the Netherlands, 19 years old and looking into getting a road bike as means of staying fit. I've got loads of questions 'bout starting out, but i am not all that sure on whether to start a new topic for all of 'em, or to just read along and gain some knowledge through that (which has in the last three days worked out quite ok).

I'm actually quite startled by the fact that there is no serious Dutch cycling community, but hey, this is a nice way of picking up some experience in English writing as well :).

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)
I'm from fort worth tx. and i'm a carpenter .

From L.A. California - XC Mountain bike rider. Ride about 30m a week with the trail head being a 10 minute ride from my front door.

Considering moving to the Portland Oregon area and want to know if there is lots of trail to ride there?

I'm from Dallas.
I make copies/digital prints.
I ride occasionally.
I used to ride more often, but life got in the way.

Hi, I'm from Washington State, and I cycle, cycle, cycle. I hope one day to cycle where I was born and raised, Pennsylvania. I aspire to gain a good cruising speed. I ride a Bachetta Giro, and I find it very comfortable. As far as foot numbness is concerned, if you have good pedaling technique this is kept to a minimum.

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)
My names Lisa, I lisa in Hamilton Victoria, Country Chick! I love my Modeling, Training, Friends, Shopping and I go to tafe studyin Physcology.:)