Where are you from,what do you do?

FRiend of mine had a watch with a lifetime guarantee - when the mainspring went it slashed his wrist.

Seriously though, I live near the sea in the U.K., and until my wife's health forced the decision, have regularly ridden steel-framed bikes since 1948.

I've never had a dramatic problem with corrosion - conservative maintenance is the key, but you needn't be obsessive about it..
  • When initially assembling the bike spray inside all the tubes, everywhere you can get at with WD40 - it has a long pedigree - read the Howard Hughes story.
  • If you've ridden in sea-spray, or sweated all over it, rinse the bike off with clean tap water. That includes chain, gears etc.,
  • Clean mud off the bike. It holds water.
  • Maintain the paint film, i.e. touch up scratches, or as a first resort, wipe a film of oil over them.
  • If putting the bike away for any period of time, clean with tap water, give it a spray with WD40 and hang it up.
Cheers.
:)
John.

I'm a year round bicycle commuter from Seattle, WA. I've been commuting for about six years now and love it. It's a pretty short haul being only ten miles RT. I've been riding a GT Nomad for the entire time and cannot think of a better commuter for my purposes. Still on the same cheapo tires and have had only had three flats in that time, but the bike is due for new rubber and an overhaul. This will probably remain my basic commuter, but I'm casually in the market for a fun road bike with upright bars, so I'm taking a long look at the Bianchi Strada. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading all the messages on this site.

Cliff (Salish
Seattle, WA

Hi, I'am from the Island Of Curacao-Netherlands Antilles. Been a avid rider since 2003. I ride my bike only during week-ends 60 mi. I.am a cost engineer at a Refinery

edgeerl said:
Hi, I'am from the Island Of Curacao-Netherlands Antilles. Been a avid rider since 2003. I ride my bike only during week-ends 60 mi. I.am a cost engineer at a Refinery
TESTING, please let me post. I am daniel. I train 450km's a week and work twice a week as delivery boy (on the bike). I am 15, live in albury australia

Hi, from the southern california and I enjoy racing crits and track. I lift throughout the year and also enjoy coaching when I have the time.

;) Hey man, I'm new to this forum. I reside in Bisbee Arizona USA, though am originally from Wales. I ride for fun,fittness and adventure.I mountain bike and tour. Mostly desert rides on and off road. Currently wrote a desert survival awareness class for new comers to desert riding. I ride a hardtail "Gary Fisher Big Sur" and am purchasing a new tourer "Koga Miyata":) Day time job, Wilderness /Climbing/Hiking/Biking guide

;) Hey man, I'm new to this forum. I reside in Bisbee Arizona USA, though am originally from Wales. I ride for fun,fittness and adventure.I mountain bike and tour. Mostly desert rides on and off road. Currently wrote a desert survival awareness class for new comers to desert riding. I ride a hardtail "Gary Fisher Big Sur" and am purchasing a new tourer "Koga Miyata":) Day time job, Wilderness /Climbing/Hiking/Biking guide

Hello,

My name is Bill and I am 53-year-old and I emigrated to Toronto Canada 10 years ago from the UK. I have been told that I need a new left knee and a new right hip due to arthritis caused from old injuries. I used to cycle in the UK years ago riding time trails and road racing and have now decided to have another crack at it to get fit again and perhaps I can put off these operations for a few more years.

I ride at least 4-5 hours per week on the wind trainer as it is too cold to cycle outdoors at the moment here in Canada. I am not sure how well I am going, as I have no one to compare myself with. On the wind trainer I ride at 200 watts average for one-hour steady state, and my heart rate is 152 bpm. I know my maximum heart rate is 190 and my resting heart rate upon waking is 42 bpm. Is my power output too miserable to consider joining a club and be able to keep up?

My left knee will only just bend enough to get the pedals round but I feel I could make my life easier for myself if I gain a bit by buying pedals with a low stack height. Is there a comparison chart for stack height of all the different pedals or does anyone know what pedal has the least stack height? Do you think perhaps I should also go with shorter cranks or will this be too much of a compromise, as I would loose too much leverage?

Regards,

Bill.

Hello,

My name is Bill and I am 53-year-old and I emigrated to Toronto Canada 10 years ago from the UK. I have been told that I need a new left knee and a new right hip due to arthritis caused from old injuries. I used to cycle in the UK years ago riding time trails and road racing and have now decided to have another crack at it to get fit again and perhaps I can put off these operations for a few more years.

I ride at least 4-5 hours per week on the wind trainer as it is too cold to cycle outdoors at the moment here in Canada. I am not sure how well I am going, as I have no one to compare myself with. On the wind trainer I ride at 200 watts average for one-hour steady state, and my heart rate is 152 bpm. I know my maximum heart rate is 190 and my resting heart rate upon waking is 42 bpm. Is my power output too miserable to consider joining a club and be able to keep up?

My left knee will only just bend enough to get the pedals round but I feel I could make my life easier for myself if I gain a bit by buying pedals with a low stack height. Is there a comparison chart for stack height of all the different pedals or does anyone know what pedal has the least stack height? Do you think perhaps I should also go with shorter cranks or will this be too much of a compromise, as I would loose too much leverage?

Regards,

Bill.

Hi All bike keeees,

just joined this site. I am from singapore and i bike 1ce a week every saturday evening.

I am in the IT industry. I have just left a company and am now looking for another job.

rgds :cool:

Hi All bike keeees,

just joined this site. I am from singapore and i bike 1ce a week every saturday evening.

I am in the IT industry. I have just left a company and am now looking for another job.

rgds :cool:

Hello Folks

My name is Robin Weston and I am English but live in SW France.
I have a challenge to cycle solo the 2006 Tour de France route for cancer charities.
As part of my training I have registered for the Denver, Colorado LIVESTRONG
ride in August - subject to funding.
You can see what I am about by visiting my website at:- www.cancercharitytour.com
Look forward to your comments, advice or sponsorship.

welton

BILLYHOLMES said:
Hello,

Regards,

Bill.

Hi Bill
Just read your details after posting my first entry below.
Not able to help with the crank details, but sincerely offer some advice.
My wife aged 60 has just had a total hip replacement for similar reasons to your own problem. Now 6 weeks after the operation she is back on her bike. She states that it is much more comfortable and I can see she is much better balanced and straight on the saddle.
For what it is worth I believe you should think seriously about treatment. I fear that you will otherwise end up in more pain and do more damage. After all a couple of months off the bike is not too long.
You will then get back to pleasurable cycling at the level you aspire to.
Anyway good luck.
Robin Weston (welton)

I'm new to this site and enjoy watching cycling, my back went out a few years ago, now I'm a homemaker. I've had back surgery, but have been working on getting my back stronger with water therapy,it's nice and I don't have as much pain as I've had before. If anyone is thinking about back surgery I would consider water/pool therapy to strenghten the back.I can exercise in the heated pool and it doesn't hurt, now I can get back into shape after being down for a couple of years. I'm wanting to do more exercises in water/pool therapy,but haven't found a website that may offer them. I'm from USA - Alabama, I'm a female,happily married. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hello everyone. I'm from California but live in Hawaii currently. That is the primary reason I've "become" a cyclist. It's a great place to ride your bike to work. I would also like to complete some triathlons. I have run, I have swam, and I have biked, now I want to do all three!

See ya!

Hello everyone. New to these forums and new to cycling in general. Made the switch from distance running around 2 months ago after having ongoing problems with my Achilles tendon.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and am riding anywhere and everywhere at the moment! Long term goal is to compete in at least one Ironman; even if I come last, merely finishing would be quite an accomplishment!

New guy to this forum but been riding a Rivendell for about 10 years. I don't go fast but I do ride about 3k miles/yr. Very active in the Salem, OR Bicycle Club (http://www.salembicycleclub.org/) so if you are in the area we have rides all year long. Just been a bit windy and damp this winter (2005/2006) but I do get out on Sundays. :cool:

Try looking at this weg site: http://www.rivbike.com/ They can set you up with a great bike.

pinkyb said:
Hi everyone im new to this and i need some help. I do enjoy bike riding but i cant remember the last time i owned 1. So here i am wanting to know which bikes are the best. I need a good 1 and dont care how much it costs. I want it to last forever because im really determined to get back into shape and stay in shape cause it aint good for ya health. SO PRETTY PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!