Where are you from,what do you do?

hey all, im from florida and am fairly new to cycling. been surfing site for a while and decided to join. hope to learn.

I was born outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but grew up outside of Boston, Massachusetts. I work as an environmental engineering consultant. I used to ride 2 hours daily with longer rides on the weekends, but now ride only when I'm not traveling.

Im from lansdale,Pa .I'm a police officer and cycle for fitness,weightloss.Joined the bike unit and going to IPMBA school this June:D

I'm from Preston CT, and am a student at Norwich Free Academy. I wrestle, and started biking because I didn't have a car, but it kept me in shape, and I just couldn't stop.

ocmtnbiker said:
HI
I'm from oc calif. over 40 just 5'8" got a Gary Fisher cake 2 dlx 19" hope its not too big, i rode dirt bikes in the past so it felt good to me? hope it was the right choice!!
would like your opinion if its to big its still in laway and i could get a 17.5 (m) insteat of (lg) 19"
Hi:
I definitely think that at 5'8" you will be a lot happier with that 17.5" frame.:)

I'm 56 and I just retired last Aug. I ran thru the 1990's but my knees are shot & I picked up cycling around Y2K. I have a small shop at home and my hobby is repairing and building up bikes for my friends, neighbors, grandkids, etc. I typically ride the trails in the woods here in the Memphis, TN area in the winter and mostly ride on the roads(4 to 5 centuriy rides/yr) in the summer. I have a rather extensive collection of bikes(8 but 2 are for sale) that I have built up myself. I have been enjoying the posts on Bike Forums related to bike mechanics and I'm sure I will enjoy the discussions here as well. I have found some excellent knowledge sources on the net and I am happy to point others to that info. when they have mechanical problems/questions.
Thanks.....glad to be here.:)

ocmtnbiker said:
HI
I'm from oc calif. over 40 just 5'8" got a Gary Fisher cake 2 dlx 19" hope its not too big, i rode dirt bikes in the past so it felt good to me? hope it was the right choice!!
would like your opinion if its to big its still in laway and i could get a 17.5 (m) insteat of (lg) 19"
I am from wis I have a gary fisher supercaliper 19" bike
I am 5' 10" I think that would be close to you
what was the cost of your bike ???
mine was 5 grand have fun with your new bike.

Bennett, Live in Northern Va, metro area, been cycling for about 10 years, just recently got into competitive cycling and what not. work at an outdoor store full time, looking for an easy going group to go riding with on the weekends, serious enough for a good workout but not looking for too intense. like the forums!

pinkyb said:
Hi everyone im new to this and i need some help. I do enjoy bike riding but i cant remember the last time i owned 1. So here i am wanting to know which bikes are the best. I need a good 1 and dont care how much it costs. I want it to last forever because im really determined to get back into shape and stay in shape cause it aint good for ya health. SO PRETTY PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!
My 2 cents worth.

I have had 2 Cannondale bikes (SR12000, R1000). Both equipped with Shimano Ultegra and a few DuraAce components. i have over 50,000 miles on them combined. No regrets. Excellent bikes. Sure I wore stuff out, but never was surprised by any poor quality or handling. Get a bike that FITS you is the key, and FEELS right to you, but I can give Cannondale HIGH MARKS from my experience.

Anabolicholic said:
Bennett, Live in Northern Va, metro area, been cycling for about 10 years, just recently got into competitive cycling and what not. work at an outdoor store full time, looking for an easy going group to go riding with on the weekends, serious enough for a good workout but not looking for too intense. like the forums!
I started when I was 13 years old had more bikes then ppl had cars
I go on bike trips ppl put on 100 miles 64 what ever they set up I go.
I am from wis.
have lots of different bikes for different climets thats great that your getting in to it more
I am thinking of getting in to it more like cross the wis 1 week trip
on a racing bike lol
I hope you find some one for what your doing and keep up the good work.

Onemoresnoopy said:
My 2 cents worth.

I have had 2 Cannondale bikes (SR12000, R1000). Both equipped with Shimano Ultegra and a few DuraAce components. i have over 50,000 miles on them combined. No regrets. Excellent bikes. Sure I wore stuff out, but never was surprised by any poor quality or handling. Get a bike that FITS you is the key, and FEELS right to you, but I can give Cannondale HIGH MARKS from my experience.
I have 2 cannondale too m200 le a 1996 model geen powder coat met. silver flake with clear cost with xtdurailleurs xtr rear coda front deore brakes
also a cannondale f700 viper red 1997 with a head shock going to repaint it
also new parts too
and I have a felt 45 road bike I rebuilt cost 3,300.00 2004
and a fischer mountain bike 5 grand 1999 hard tail almost all are hard trail
have a specailized fsc xc mountain bike 1999 I have a few more too
rebuilding.
main thing that a person does get a right size bike.
for safety.

I'm Dan, I'm from Blacksburg, Virginia, but currently in McLean. I just bought a 2005 Specialized Sequoia and I'm going to get my fat ass in shape.

I'm picking it up tomorrow at noon and I'll get my first miles on it. Lets see what I can do :)

I've definitely learned an amazing amount in the past two weeks that I've been researching this, especially while lurking in this forum, so thanks to all.

If anyone is in Mclean, Tysons, Vienna, area and you want to go for a probably slowish ride, let me know.

simonspecial said:
I'm Dan, I'm from Blacksburg, Virginia, but currently in McLean. I just bought a 2005 Specialized Sequoia and I'm going to get my fat ass in shape.

I'm picking it up tomorrow at noon and I'll get my first miles on it. Lets see what I can do :)

I've definitely learned an amazing amount in the past two weeks that I've been researching this, especially while lurking in this forum, so thanks to all.

If anyone is in Mclean, Tysons, Vienna, area and you want to go for a probably slowish ride, let me know.
wish you luck on your ride I ride almost all winter
I will use my mountain bike
for now lol

Bink's Gym said:
I am new to the forum and am a sport and fitness trainer in Central Ohio. My clients include cyclists and I am very interested in helping them select the best equipment to match their skills and weaknesses. We address hip and knee strength and conditioning in the workouts (among other things!), but for some older cyclists the implications for the knee of clips/clipless pedals are critical. My experience is all with clips, so I am looking forward to learning from the equipment forum.
Jean Binkovitz, CSCS
Reynoldsburg, OH
Hi:
I have had meniscus surgery on both knees and I do much better with the unlimited float offered by Speedplay. I have several sets of 'Frogs' and 'X series' Speedplays and at 56 I am still able to ride with much younger people. For knee problems I'm obviously big on Speedplay:) --Rob--

robhunterx said:
Hi:
I have had meniscus surgery on both knees and I do much better with the unlimited float offered by Speedplay. I have several sets of 'Frogs' and 'X series' Speedplays and at 56 I am still able to ride with much younger people. For knee problems I'm obviously big on Speedplay:) --Rob--

I use spd shimano pedals

My name is Dan Sotelo & live in Seattle WA,/ former founder of onZa. Regarding love tire tubeless, I'm the original designer of this unique tire. The concept was born back in 1989 as I began to experiment & make prototype onZa tubeless tires (secretly) for the racers that I used to sponsor, like like Greg Herbald & Julia Furtado.

Back then the idea to go with a Semi tubeless design was a no brainier because going with what is now known as UST would have been a failure cause no one would buy the whole rim & tire system. The Semi tubeless allows the use of any standard rim, the upper half of the tire is a standard tire & tube, while the lower tread area is tubeless. Unfortunately just as Panaracer & I (onZa), began to work out how to produce semi tubeless tire we caught rumor of UST and decided to stop.

6 years after onZa came to an end, I was approached by the board members of INNOVA (3rd largest tire maker in Asia), & was asked if I wanted to make the Semi tubeless? I was stunned because it was semi tubeless was a very guarded secret.

It took 2 years to figure out the technicalities of how to mass produce the tire, only to run into a brick wall trying to figure out a way to fix a flat since you can not get inside the tire to do the repair.

One day by shear accident, I discovered Slime not only made bicycle sealant (which is useless for tubeless applications), but they made a automotive tubeless sealant which worked great on Semi-tubeless.

We worked closely with slime to develop a super Lt/Wt formula for Love semi-tubeless, while at the same time Innova's Ben Hur (innova's tire wizard), & I worked on making the love tire lighter & lighter, with some reasonable results.

Problems started when the anxious Innova board members insisted that we show the yet not ready & very heavy prototype love tires at the 2001 Vegas bike show. I warned them to wait until we could produce the new v1/2 lighter version. But against my warnings they went ahead with Vegas, only to stereotype the Semitubeless Love tire technology as very heavy, despite the fact that 6 months later we introduced 1/2 lighter Wt tire.

Getting late, if you have more questions just drop me a line

Dan Sotelo

I also would like to put a plug in for the Speedplay pedals. I am also 56 and have been riding about six years. Myfeet turn out a bit, so the speedplay let me place my foot on the pedal in what for me is a more natural position and eliminates the stress on both my feet and knees. I have only used the X series.

cannondale889 said:
I use spd shimano pedals

dansotelo said:
My name is Dan Sotelo & live in Seattle WA,/ former founder of onZa. Regarding love tire tubeless, I'm the original designer of this unique tire. The concept was born back in 1989 as I began to experiment & make prototype onZa tubeless tires (secretly) for the racers that I used to sponsor, like like Greg Herbald & Julia Furtado.

Back then the idea to go with a Semi tubeless design was a no brainier because going with what is now known as UST would have been a failure cause no one would buy the whole rim & tire system. The Semi tubeless allows the use of any standard rim, the upper half of the tire is a standard tire & tube, while the lower tread area is tubeless. Unfortunately just as Panaracer & I (onZa), began to work out how to produce semi tubeless tire we caught rumor of UST and decided to stop.

6 years after onZa came to an end, I was approached by the board members of INNOVA (3rd largest tire maker in Asia), & was asked if I wanted to make the Semi tubeless? I was stunned because it was semi tubeless was a very guarded secret.

It took 2 years to figure out the technicalities of how to mass produce the tire, only to run into a brick wall trying to figure out a way to fix a flat since you can not get inside the tire to do the repair.

One day by shear accident, I discovered Slime not only made bicycle sealant (which is useless for tubeless applications), but they made a automotive tubeless sealant which worked great on Semi-tubeless.

We worked closely with slime to develop a super Lt/Wt formula for Love semi-tubeless, while at the same time Innova's Ben Hur (innova's tire wizard), & I worked on making the love tire lighter & lighter, with some reasonable results.

Problems started when the anxious Innova board members insisted that we show the yet not ready & very heavy prototype love tires at the 2001 Vegas bike show. I warned them to wait until we could produce the new v1/2 lighter version. But against my warnings they went ahead with Vegas, only to stereotype the Semitubeless Love tire technology as very heavy, despite the fact that 6 months later we introduced 1/2 lighter Wt tire.

Getting late, if you have more questions just drop me a line

Dan Sotelo
I used to have specail tires for racing bikes
were they glue on the rim I hated them 1 you get glue evey were and hard to get off
2 the glue let go one day almost damaged my rim caught it in time when I did a check on my bikes wheels
they were light weight cost was over 25.00 a tire.
they were 700x 18 c tire very narrow tires
3 I used a can of self sealing tubes
did not work very sticky all over my rims hands never again
I use clinchers cost 50.00 a tires fold up tires
someone would have to send me a tire to try out and see if they worlk I had bad experances with tires that glue or self seal tires

I'm new to this fourm and my name is Ray, 42 years old 5'10" 155lbs., nickname deckard (Bladerunner movie) by the guys at work. I have been a civil servant for 15 years (Federal Law Enforcement) in the beautiful San Francisco Bay area. I live in Petaluma, Sonoma County. I'm a 2+ years stage III stomach cancer survivor and yes I religiously support the LAF. My story is posted on LAF which LAF filmed a little over a year ago.
Link:
http://www.livestrong.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=jvKZLbMRIsG&b=787677&ct=1005865

I'm proud to say I am back on my road bike although I am limited to 30-40 mile road bike rides now (no stomach). But hey, I'm back on the bike. My bike, a 2005 Giant TCR 2 and I love it.

I'm from southern California. I retired from construction about 3 years ago and took up mountain biking for the exercise. I race occasionally but mostly just ride for fun. I'm secretary / treasurer of our team and that takes quite a bit of time. We host a series of races in the SoCal area.

;)