Where are you from,what do you do?

Jennifer_Quest said:
Hi I'm Jennie & I'm a cyclist new to your forums! I ride on the road in Toronto or in Ottawa when I'm there.
Hi Jennie,

Where do you cycle in Toronto.
Grant

Hi,I'm from NE england, but have recently bought an apartment in the Alps, at the bottom of the Col du Lauteret.

where: South Bend, Indiana. Local mtb trails and commute to work.:cool:
when: Everyday
work: I sell auto parts at a local dealership. But don't own a car. (hahaha)
club: I belong to IMBA,HMBA AND MY LOCAL CLUB: NIMBA FOR WHICH I HELP MANAGE OUR LOCAL TRAIL.
rides: trek 4900 hardtail and cannondale single speed:)

I'm from a suburb of Washington, DC. I'm now getting back into cycling after having gained "xxxx" LBS. from Good Living. I've always loved the freedom that I feel when on my bike and hope to capture that feeling again.

i am from elk grove, california. new to the area and am looking for people to go biking with or places to go biking around the area-:)

I guess this will be my first post. Im from Austin, Tx and work as a valet at one of the hotels here.

I'm currently downunder, ride for pleasure, commuting, transport.
When I travel I take a bike, hence I use small wheels, 'cos they fold easily

I'm from North Central Massachusetts (about an hour or two N/W of Boston).

Primarily recreational cyclist with a few seasons under my belt. I ride a Cannondale R600, and also putting together a Look 555 (almost done!).

-Jim

Hi all,

Just registered and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bob and I've been a Roadie for 3 years now. I was into mountain biking before. This looks like a great place to gain some knowledge and insight about cycling. I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

Originally from Sydney Australia where riding in traffic is like playing Russian roulette with 5 barrels loaded.

Been in Japan 13 years and will probably be here for good.. or till helmets fail....

Ride for a growing club up and down the Edo river which runs to Tokyo Bay. We race at least 10 times a year.... more if you're game...

I've just moved to the river and bought a house which has made training very easy.... I now ride 12kms along the river in the morning [4 days a week] then 15km in light (against the) traffic to work... then ride home as well at night. Round trip of 54kms a day... Friday nights I do a time trial back home along the river... My fitness is skyrocketting and I should be in winning form by November forf my favorite race...

42 years old.

Been riding only 3 years....

Have TREK5500, FONDRIEST road bikes...plus a SCOTT reflex MTB. Try and ride the MTB twice a week to work as it is a better workout....

Best result so far in races... a 3rd & a 4th. (The 3rd I was pipped at the post after being forced to lead with 1km to go.....) Seeking revenge for this race this year.... Older and wiser but getting hard to be faster......

i do public relations for the annual father's day skyscraper harlem cycling classic held in harlem, new york city, usa www.skyscraper-harlembikerace.com

june 6, 2006​

for immediate release;​
contact jim greene (212) 360-5583​

33rd ANNUAL FATHER'S DAY SKYSCRAPER HARLEM CYCLING CLASSIC
and N.Y. STATE CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

On sunday june 18, 2006, beginning at 12noon, the 33rd ANNUAL FATHER'S DAY SKYSCRAPER HARLEM CYCLING CLASSIC www.skyscraper-harlembikerace.com will be held around harlem's MARCUS GARVEY PARK (madison-5th avenues, 120th-124th streets). the SKYSCRAPER attracts world class cyclists, many of whom have raced for their countries during the olympics. like the nyc marathon, new yorkers seldom win the SKYSCRAPER. this year, for the first time, the CLASSIC will also be the 2006 NEW YORK STATE CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

the CLASSIC is a series of races open to new york city metropolitan area residents from the age of 10 years old and up. next is a series of races open only to members of the UNITED STATES CYCLING FEDERATION (USCF) www.usacycling.org, including the SKYSCRAPER, that is 35 laps around the park. last year's SKYSCRAPER was won by roosevelt marte, of dominican heritage, who grew up in washington heights, but now resides in ft. lee new jersey, in a photo finish over alvaro tardagulia of glen spey, new york in 57 minutes 33 seconds. hispanic cyclists have been very supportive of nyc cycling and are expected to do well in this year's SKYSCRAPER. megan esponde of orlando, florida won the women's race in 37 minutes 28 seconds to finish 1 mile ahead of rebecca larson of gainesville, florida. because so many cyclists are from outside of nyc, this year the city's official tourism marketing organization , NYC AND COMPANY is a promotional partner as is the NYC SPORTS COMMISSION.

am7plus said:
I'm currently downunder, ride for pleasure, commuting, transport.
When I travel I take a bike, hence I use small wheels, 'cos they fold easily
austrailians often win the 35 mile skyscraper

june 6, 2006​

for immediate release;​
contact jim greene (212) 360-5583​

33rd ANNUAL FATHER'S DAY SKYSCRAPER HARLEM CYCLING CLASSIC
and N.Y. STATE CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

On sunday june 18, 2006, beginning at 12noon, the 33rd ANNUAL FATHER'S DAY SKYSCRAPER HARLEM CYCLING CLASSIC www.skyscraper-harlembikerace.com will be held around harlem's MARCUS GARVEY PARK (madison-5th avenues, 120th-124th streets). the SKYSCRAPER attracts world class cyclists, many of whom have raced for their countries during the olympics. like the nyc marathon, new yorkers seldom win the SKYSCRAPER. this year, for the first time, the CLASSIC will also be the 2006 NEW YORK STATE CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

the CLASSIC is a series of races open to new york city metropolitan area residents from the age of 10 years old and up. next is a series of races open only to members of the UNITED STATES CYCLING FEDERATION (USCF) www.usacycling.org, including the SKYSCRAPER, that is 35 laps around the park. last year's SKYSCRAPER was won by roosevelt marte, of dominican heritage, who grew up in washington heights, but now resides in ft. lee new jersey, in a photo finish over alvaro tardagulia of glen spey, new york in 57 minutes 33 seconds. hispanic cyclists have been very supportive of nyc cycling and are expected to do well in this year's SKYSCRAPER. megan esponde of orlando, florida won the women's race in 37 minutes 28 seconds to finish 1 mile ahead of rebecca larson of gainesville, florida. because so many cyclists are from outside of nyc, this year the city's official tourism marketing organization , NYC AND COMPANY is a promotional partner as is the NYC SPORTS COMMISSION.

the 2 articles below can be found at www.nysol.com then search "skyscraper" . nysol is New York Sports OnLine, a website that covers non professional (no nfl, nba mlb) new york city sports. these 2 stories were written in the late 1990s and are still on the site.

Harlem, New York
Australian cyclist Brett Aitken (pictured with microphone) captured the 25th annual Skyscraper-Harlem Cycling Classic on a hot and humid Sunday afternoon in Harlem.
Aitken's combination of strength and finishing speed, put him a few lengths clear of second placed Kevin Monahan (right) of New Jersey and Gotham Bike's Jose Pineda (far left) as they crossed the finishing line fifteen seconds ahead of the field.
The threesome had broken clear some twenty laps into the thirty-five mile race, which saw them circle the one mile route of Marcus Garvey Park at 121st and Fifth Avenue. They extended the gap to over thirty seconds but saw it narrow over the last couple of laps as they jockeyed for position before the final sprint. Aitken's win kept the title in Australasia, as last year's winner, New Zealand's Graham Miller, finished fourth.
The race was the culmination of an exciting day's cycling and skating and was a fitting climax to New York City's oldest bicycle race which according to race founder David Walker, "...is recognized by the national and international cycling communities as one of the most competitive and prestigious events in the USA."

s3.gif

The event began some five hours earlier with a series of community-based races sponsored by Con-Edison, ranging from midget and junior races to Masters, Women's, Intermediate and for the first time, in-line skating.
"Con-Ed has a commitment to the youth and community in this neighborhood, which is why we have sponsored this event every year since it began 25 years ago," commented Phyllis Thorn, Con-Ed's Manager for Community Relations. "Now we are tieing in local businesses, so that the community will benefit from events such as this."
s4.gif
Many of the earlier winners benefited to the tune of a new mountain bike, as the junior sprints proceeded the main races. The bleachers were packed to watch a total of twelve races at distances varying from a few hundred yards to the thirty-five mile championship event.
Following the junior events, the crowd was treated to a series of inline skating events organized by Team Unity Transpack, whose Doug Crane and Barrie Hartman won the master's and women's events, while Arland Macasieb and Rob Meyer won the Open/Intermediate and Men's Elite races, respectively.
s5.gif
In the US Cycling Federation Pro-Amateur Races, Pollydore Godfrey won the Category 3&4 race, James Joseph won the Masters, while another Australian, Sandra Smith won the Women's race. However, it was the main event which many of the spectators had stayed to see, with an international field that would reach speeds of 35 miles per hour over the Harlem asphalt.
"I was told that this would be a hard race to win," said Aitkin after receiving his award, "now I understand why and I just want to thank everyone who made it possible!"
The list of winners is as follows:
Juniors - Race 1
1. Dexter Martin
2. Joey Jimenez
3. Cherrel Carr
Juniors - Race 2
1. Anthony Walker
2. Shakita Page
3. Rayvon Martin
Juniors - Race 3
(pictured above)
1. William Gonzalez
2. Osaze Williams
3. Colite Ware
Juniors - Race 4
1. Terence Fife
2. Clarissa Waterson
3. Odel Tait
Juniors Classic
1. Andres Piedrahita
2. Robert Gonzalez
3. Santiado Santana
Masters Classic
1. James Joseph - Team Unity
2. Jan Piper - Somerset Wheelmen
3. Aubrey Gordon - Team Squiggle
Category II & IV
1. Pollydore Godfrey - Kauter Cycle
2. John Ya - CRCA
3. Gilbert Halton - Team Redlands
Women's Classic Classic
1.Sandra Smith - Aust. Cycling Fed.
2.Rebecca Quinn - Tri-State Velo
3. Ashley McCulloch CRCC
Skyscraper Classic
1. Brett Aitken - Avanti
2. Kevin Monahan - Breakaway
3. Jose Ramon Pineda - Gotham Bikes
In-Line Skating
Masters
(1) Doug Crane - Unity/Transpack
(2) John Morales - Unity/Transpack
(3) Kevin Larson
(4) Jim Wright - Unity/Transpack
(5) Masahiro Nakao
Open Intemediate
(1) Arland Macasieb - MBNA/Brielle Cyclery
(2) David Borda - Long Island Speed
(3) Mohammed Ansari
(4) John ****
(5) Ruli Shi
Pro Elite Women
(1) Barrie Hartman - Unity/Transpack
(2) Marci Francis - Run Jane Run
(3) Cyderae Daly - K2/Ski Pro
(4) Melody Rivera - JT Skates
(5) Alison Sawyer - Unity/Transpack
Pro Elite Men
(1) Rob Mayer - Miller Racing
(2) Eddie Wilcox - Hyper
(3) John Ristine - Belfont
(4) Ryan Wilcox - Kryptonics
(5) Brian McDonough - K2/Powerbar

For details of next years race, call David Walker on (212) 865-9606

NY Sports On Line
Bottom_l.gif

EMAIL
|
|
Copyright © 2000 NYSOL Inc.

Harlem, NY - In sweltering temperatures of up to 96 degrees Marcus Garvey Park was the venue of the 26th Annual Harlem Skyscraper Classic Professional and Amateur Cycling and In - Line Skating competition on Sunday. The national and international line-up included racers from as far a field as Florida and Australia competing for the prestige of the event and a share of over $8000 in prize money.
The first half of the afternoon was dedicated to the in-line skating events with races for Category 3 and 4 skaters (men and women), Masters (40+), Cat. 1&2 women and Cat. 1&2 men.
However, as the afternoon sun beat down relentlessly, it was the cyclists who drew the big fields, the big crowds and the big money. The cyclists were in view for most of the crowd for a quarter of the one mile circuit as they whizzed down the home straight at speeds of up to 40mph with only inches between their wheels and certain disaster. Although the home straight seemed accident free, collisions on the remaining 3/4 of the track sent a few competitors home limping and bloodied.
NYSOL spoke to Laurie Wituchi from Princeton about the women's event and her chances in it.
"It's a tough field which includes National and World champions, pros through to category fours," she said. "It's my first time at this event . I've had four months racing experience with the Princeton program and I competed in the Collegiate Nationals, but as a category four I hope to just try and learn something today."
The women's race over 15 miles was won convincingly by Laura Van Gilder from Pocono Pines, PA by a margin of about a quarter of a mile after establishing an early breakaway from the chasing pack and constantly extending her lead.
skyscraper98_2.jpg
Eric Gerolstein, a category two rider from Florida, competed in last years Pro. Men's Cat 1/2/3 but did not finish after getting caught up in a pile-up " I hope to do better this year ! I think I can finish in the top twenty although I've raced against a lot of these riders before and I know it's going to be fast, especially some of the Australians and of course Jonas Carney."
Indeed, it was Carney who won the event. Representing Team Shaklee, Carney, who will be competing in this summer's Goodwill Games, was in amongst the chasing pack for most of the race, some sixteen seconds down at one stage on a breakaway group of four riders which included eventual second placed Jason Snow and third placed Oscar Pineda. However, the pack was gradually pegged back and in an exciting sprint finish Carney nudged it by half a length and became the first American rider to win the Classic in a number of years.
So a Father's Day of high temperatures ended in high excitement, the crowd having happily sunned themselves whilst enjoying the sounds of an in house DJ and the spectacle of high quality racing from top class amateurs and professionals alike.
CYCLING RESULTS
Male (35 miles)
1. Jonas Carney Shaklee NJ
2. Jason Snow Breakaway Courier MA
3. Oscar Pineda Menguni Guatamala
Female (35 miles)
1. Laura Van Gilder Navigators PA
2. Barbara Gradley Fat Dog NY
3. Ashley McCulloch Sony
Con Edison Club Rider III & IV (20 miles)
1. Patrick Gellineau Trinidad Squiggle
2. Juan Orlando Pimentel Brooklyn Velo Force
3. Barney O'Brown CRCA
Veteran's Classic (20 miles)
1. Chris Chong-Tenn Jamaica Navigators
2. Stephen Pate Carnegie/Caulfield
3. Aubrey Gordon Guyana Squiggle
Midget Sprint #1, 10-12yrs (3 blocks)
1. John Tempro Brooklyn
2. Scarlett McCollar Harlem
3. Nirlia Jimenez Bronx
Midget Sprint #2, 10-12yrs (3 blocks)
1. Omar Senior Bronx
2. Stephanie Lopez Manhattan
3. Jose Jimenez
Midget Sprint #3, 10-12yrs (3 blocks)
1. Dexter Watters Manhattan
2. Osante Williams Teaneck, NJ
3. Durrell Joseph Brooklyn
IN-LINE SKATING RESULTS
Kids
1. Luke Percival Sk8deal MA
2. Sam Percival Sk8deal MA
3. Ramsi Harrison Unattached NY
Cat 3/4
1. Ron Yu TEAM Summit NY
2. Chris Whekzyk Unattched NY
3. Manuel Gil Empire Speed NY
4. Micheal Shafran Empire Speed NY
5. Mohammed Ansal Empire Speed NY
Masters
1. Anderson Herbert Unity/Transpack NY
2. Joe Frazetta Unattached NY
3. John **** TEAM Summit NY
Pro Elite Women (Cat 1/2)
1. Nancy Frampton High Voltage NY
2. Betsy Atwater Empire Speed NY
3. Barrie Hartman Unity/Transpack NY
Pro Elite Men (Cat 1/2)
1. Shane Keene Sk8deal MA
2. Nick Esposito Miller NY
3. Mark Stankowski Sk8deal MA
4. John Percival Sk8deal MA
5. Dillon Beqouac Unity/Transpack NY
6. Franciso Ramirez Unattached MA
7. Arlend Maeasieh Empire Speed NY

For details of next years race, call David Walker on (212) 865-9606

NY Sports On Line
Bottom_l.gif

EMAIL
|
|
Copyright © 2000 NYSOL Inc.

jim greene
head communications inc (retired)
(212) 360-5583
[email protected]

I'm new to the forum but have biked for years. I live in Somerdale NJ USA and ride between 15 - 20 miles daily.
I've lost a 'step' or two over the years, but still try to maintain a 15 mph average which I find works to keep me in shape. I'd like to find someone in my speed/distance range to ride with occasionally because I know that it's more gratifying to be pushed and difficult to do that when you ride by yourself.
But I love this sport/hobby and can't imagine doing anything else on a daily basis for excercise.

Len

morning all! Asterope from Brisbane, Australia here :)

very much digging the 2 wheeled lifestyle...

commuted around 30kms every day for about 2 years to get to work and uni until work moved out to woopwoop... couldnt justify the extra 2 hours travelling/cycling time so bought a 50cc scooter. (i know it dont got pedals, but its a cheap 2-wheeler!)

i try to get out on my bike at least once a week, as work and uni see fit, but as i bought the bike from a rather pushy salesman, i didnt get the right fit and incidently developed really sore knees as i developed my own riding style. so now im going to upgrade to a road bike so i can use it more!!

and im definitely going to be uprgading to a full suspension XC in the near future because im going to miss riding those sticky rocky muddy trails :D

glad to be a part of the forum!!

I'm from Orange County in So. California. I'm 20 years old, and getting ready for the Navy. I'll be shipping out Aug. 22, 2006. I'm more of a runner, but I'm taking up biking as a means of getting low-impact exercise... and to save on gas... and because it's better for the environment... in that order.

Play: Urban assault, trails, and drunken cycling
Bike: 04 Bianchi S.A.S.S. (GO Singlespeed).