Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. mdbiker

mdbiker New Member

Greetings from Annapolis, MD.

I was looking for an activity to keep me in shape for a while now and I think I found my niche here with cycling. I tried running but my back doesn't have what it takes.
    I have been lurking around on this forum for a little while and am really pleased at the quality of people that use the site...there is very little bashing on people...especially the guys (like myself) that have those stupid new questions that everyone has probably heard many times before.
    If anyone is from around my area and wants to go riding please let me know. I just started seriously riding a few weeks ago and am averaging 15mph going 15 miles...working on improving speed and endurance.
    Oh yea 'what do i do' - computer guy

2. CAITLINCREW

CAITLINCREW New Member

I am from Crozet VA and ride a 1992 Tommasini but am in the process of building a new bike. I was going to up-grade the Tommasini but we could not get on side of the campy bottom bracket off. I think that Colorado Cycle used lock-tight on one side to keep it from loosening up. I already bought a new carbon Stronglight compact crank and a 1 in Alpha carbon fork so I am sort of commited to a older Italian frame. I did find a newer never used 1995 Super Prestige Tommasini which is Columbus Thron on ebay but it is going to cost at least $600. I am 56 years old and only ride for fun so I don't really need anything fancy but I have been riding good bikes for 35 years and want something light and responsive. Any ideas?

:mad: I was sadden to see that "Monte of Italy" had died in Aspen on this forum. I knew him when I lived in Aspen in the 1970's. I bought a bunch of bike parts from him and he was a great guy.

I also use to ride with Alexi Grewal when he was 14-15 up Indpendence pass in Aspen and knew his father very well and bought a bunch of bike and Cross County ski stuff from him. Does anyone know where Alexi Grewal is now?

3. SCOTTinNJ

SCOTTinNJ New Member

4. 4wu

4wu New Member

Hello all,
    My name is 4wu, the 4th son at the wu's family. I'm from California Bay Area. I'm a software engineer. Riding road bike is my only hobby other than work.

Question? Does anybody know how to measure stem length and handlebar size? e.g. When it says the reach/drop of a handlebar is 85/145 mm, from which point to which point to do I get these measurements?
    I'm thinking to change the both stem/handlebar to fit my size.

Appreciate your response.
    :)

5. djlen

djlen New Member

This would not be a good place to ask a question. Most people just introduce themselves here. You probably won't get another response to your post.

Len

6. antiatty

antiatty New Member

I live in Austin Texas and work for a software company out of Chicago. I travel a lot, have been to Australia, Japan and to Europe 6 times all in the past year. I am ex military, ex-cop and probably one of the more conservative people on your list. Hard to say though, I may become fodder quickly..

7. duskins

duskins New Member

Probably has something to do with the military, cop and working at a software company in Austin. : P jk. Welcome!

8. antiatty

antiatty New Member

Thanks - ok, so starting a new thread isn't apparently obvious.. how does one start a thread in the Other Stuff section. I saw an article there I really want to respond to but it may be archived. I've searched the FAQ's, no help.

9. antiatty

antiatty New Member

oops -found it, sorry - posted in the Rants section

10. cycle76

cycle76 New Member

hello to all!!! kinda new here, from the A in the states. My method...riding imitates life.:D

11. mnr3

mnr3 New Member

still figuring this site out: I'm from New Orleans originally, now lost in the midwest of the us

12. Inuvik

Inuvik New Member

[Just moved to Seattle from rainy Juneau, Alaska. And people say it rains a lot here in seattle.......heck....it's a sunny tropical island!

13. kenny29

kenny29 New Member

Hey,

MBK newbie from Scotland - just bought my first bike and lovin every minute!!

What bout you? Any bad crashes?

14. sbadman

sbadman New Member

Just joined this forum. I live in Denville, NJ USA. I'm 57 years old and I retired in 2005 from my profession in broadcasting. I belong to the Morris Area Freewheelers Bicycle Club and try to ride with group at least twice a week. My wife rides and we usually do a ride on Sunday, weather permitting.

15. jim9090

jim9090 New Member

Hi. I've just joined also. I teach elementary school -- grade 4 this year -- in Toronto. I've been riding more and more seriously for a couple years, and am duathlon training now. I ride around 250K and run about 30K a week. I've been doing this for about 10 months now, getting ready for this summer. I'm still trying to figure out balancing riding and running -- I have to say, I prefer the riding!

16. gdmsndmxr

gdmsndmxr New Member

Hey Jim,

I am also from Toronto. Where do you ride?
    Grant

17. koichampion

koichampion New Member

I'm from sunny Singapore where you have to be very careful while you're on the road. There are not too many hills, let alone a mountain to enjoy your MTBs. So I switched to a road bike and got myself a Giant TCR C3 full carbon road bike ('05) for about US$1200 from a LBS. I think the price paid is reasonable. Appreciate other full carbon bike users' feedback on care and maintenance. Also, is there an effective life span to such bikes before we upgrade to something better? It has Shimano 105 parts. I cycle 5 times a week regularly and put in about 20km daily, and more on weekends!

18. FURMBIZ

FURMBIZ New Member

Hi, I'm from Brooklyn,NYC, I'm a runner trying to get into cycling, I'm a pretty decent runner, ( I run 3.5 miles at 8- 8 1/2 mile pace 5 days per week on mostly trails. ) but I want to get into cycling. mabye either a cycling group, or possibly a duathlon, but what I really want to do is develop some type of proficency on the bike. I have an brand new Winsdor Bristol bike: Aluminum frame. w/a kinesis taper blade carbon fiber fork. An aluminum triple chainring 52/42/30T. alloy pedals w/ toeclips. The bottom bracket is a sealed crtridge. Front derailleur is a Shimano FD3303. the rear is a Shimano Tiagra. The shifters are Shimano Sora STI. The cassete/freewheel is a Cassette 11-28T. The chain is a KMCIG2-51 The Hubs are Fluminum alloy w/quick release.The rims are Alex Aero profile DA22 alloy. The brakes are Shimano alloy. The Brake levers are Shimano Sora STI. This seemed like an entry level bike. What I want to know is this bike adequate enuogh, or will I need to spend 3,000 or more? P.S.: The description that I gave on this bike, I don't know what any of it means, So please don't get technical when you reply.

19. jim9090

jim9090 New Member

Hi Grant,

I usually ride in the Aurora, Newmarket, Stouville area. I live at Finch/Vic. Park, so I usually take Leslie north. Where do you ride?

Jim

20. jim9090

jim9090 New Member

Hi. Are you talking about the lifespan of the components? With good maintenance, including regular cleaning and lubing, I think the drivetrain should last for years (except for the chain).