Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. B Rubble

B Rubble New Member

I live in Los Angeles, fairly close to the beach bike paths. Mostly use the bike for commuting and recreation.

I have a 13 mile (one way) commute to the bus stop (mostly beach paths) or a 28 mile commute straight to work (bureaucrat).

2. colnagocampynme

colnagocampynme New Member

Alright, I'm from Bakersfield California, about 100 miles north of Los Angeles, and during the summer months it is too hot for me to ride here because I have a poor cooling system. I sweat very little despite taking in as much water as I possibly can. (I've been like that since high school 25 years ago) I do most of my riding the other 3 seasons of the year. I just started riding centuries and am scheduled for another in September. I am currently not employed but I earn my living selling on e-bay, mostly bike stuff and mostly Campy parts. I do high end bike restorations as a hobby, specifically vintage steel. Colnagos are my delight. I own a Mexico, Master, Master Light, 2 Celo Europas that are manufactured by Colnago, a Harry Quinn and other miscellaneous bikes. So that's where I'm from and what I do.

3. Dessieboy

Dessieboy New Member

That's brilliant! Thanks very much. Spooky you coming from Perth. My brother lives there and I'm flying there on Christmas day for a holiday after going there twice in the last two years!!

4. alwaysmiling

alwaysmiling New Member

G'day bike riders

I am from the Lower North Shore of Sydney, Australia.

I like to volunter on bike ride camps. So far I have been a volunteer on two NSW Big Rides, Cycle Queensland 2005 and The 2006 Great Western Australian Bike Ride.

5. Rick Taylor

Rick Taylor New Member

I'm from Tucson Arizona. I'm an electrical engineer, ride bicycles, and fly/crash RC controlled air planes. :)

6. 3bikekid

3bikekid New Member

hi my name is bob i live in ohio i like old schwinn bikes
    i have 9 all schwinn but 1 it is a columbia
    my oldest is a 1949 royal b6 iwould like some info on it
    i have sevarl books and none have any thing on it
    the head badge is very unusal it is shaped like an s
    and reads schwinn royal any info would be great
    thanks

7. russshaber

russshaber New Member

First post: I'm a mid 50's bike fan. I dropped 60 lbs riding both road and mountain bikes. I'm currently single and live in the mountains southwest of Denver. I have great mountain and road rides right out my door.

8. Dieselis

Dieselis New Member

Hello everybody.... I'm from NYC where I am a teacher of Special needs children. Over the past three years or so I've had a very busy schedule of work and school and have all but stopped excercising and have gained weight. I've recently decided to make some changes and purchased a bike (Marin Pioneer Trail MTB) to get back into shape. The last time I owned or rode a bike was about 16 years ago and I love it and i am so upset that I've waited so long to purchase one. I'm very excited about cycling and decided to join the discussion board to learn from some seasoned vets of cycling:)

9. king koeller

king koeller New Member

I'm from Moline Illinois, but i'm stationed overseas in Tokyo, Japan with the Military.I started riding bikes with my first Schwinn Junior Stingray(Blue) in 1968, then my olders brothers Deluxe String ray 1971 (Metalic orange sparkle)
    My first ten speed was a brand new Schwinn Varsity (Green) in 1974, I put a leather saddle on that one, (Idealae 99)
    I got my first true light weight in 1976, A Centurion Super Lemans,silver,with chrome tips and stays. Fully Lugged, double butted tubing, My brothers Vicount Areospace tubing frame cracked, so I took all the Campy Nuevo- Record, and transferred them to the Centurion. It's still my main bike, with a Wright leather saddle.
    Here in Japan, I picked up some vintage mountain bikes, that i 've had the fun of restoring.The first is a Focus MB 350,TANGE fully lugged, Suntour Sport LX components and it looks exactly like the very first Stump-Jumper. Someone even told me they were made in the same Japanese factory. My other Mountain bike is a vintage BCA,(Bicycle Corporation of America) makers of Ross, with a Bio-pace crank, old school canti's, fully lugged chrom-moly frame made by TANGE,and Shimano's first indexing system(SIS)components. Both bike unsuspended hardtails.
    Yesterday, I got an old school Bridgestone Radac 1989, full aluminum lugged road bike with 700cX28 touring tires by Panaracer,Suntour 6 speed,and Dia-compe brakes.
    As you can tell, I love bikes, but i'm not crazy about over-priced new ones.
    I love to fix up old neglected classic reynolds 531 bikes and vintage mountain.
    I look forward to meeting all of you.
    I'm also a member of Bike Forums..
    King Koeller

10. vinger

vinger New Member

Hi!

I live in Brooklyn, NY and just bought my first road bike (specialized allez elite double). So far I love it.

I have been riding MBs and hybrids for years, but now have the need for speed!

My day job is a pilot for a major airline that flies out of New York, so I have alot of time off to ride! :D

11. Kallenovsky

Kallenovsky New Member

Where are you from? I'm from a suburb called Frankfort outside of the city of Chicago, IL USA. I just moved here from the southern side of the city. :)

What do you do? Well as of right now I'm a collegiate student and I pass the time away playing sports such as rugby, football (soccer), and ice hockey. I cycle, though I'm afraid I'm not that good. It's still my second sport though and can't get enough of Pro. My favourite teams right now are Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balaers and Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team. My favourite cyclists are Alejandro Valverde, George Hincapie, and Tom Boonen. I am a large contributer to building the cycling portions of Wikipedia.

I also mod video games and ever since I became very good at it I've been working with a team of friends at programming our very own cycling game over the last four years. I'll post about that in another thread anyway for those interested.

I play rugby very well, so well that I've been told to try out for European Union leagues by a scout. So I'm off to Europe in October after some training to check out some things and then propose to my g/f in process. ;)

Lastly for other interests I play a variety of different instruments including the bass guitar, double bass, piano, and keyboard synth. Some of the musicians I listen to are Venus, dredg, Stellastarr, Half Asleep, Vitalic, Under the Influence of Giants, the Cloud Room, the Cure, and the Kaiser Chiefs to name a few. Hope to see you all around and to have a great time. I really don't like confrontations so don't expect that from me. :)

12. gozzo

gozzo New Member

vinger,

I test rode a Specialized Allez Elite yesterday - loved it.
    I have a couple of questions for you.
    Firstly, I climb some steep hills, if you do too I would be interested to know how your bike performs.
    Secondly, if you do any 100km+ rides you would probably be in a good position to tell me if riding the Allez is a lot harder on your body than a hybrid.
    I currently ride a Giant hybrid and am basically feeling the need for speed:)

13. Jyag

Jyag New Member

Hello everyone! First off I'm new to the forums and only 15 years old. I just started cycling a few weeks ago with my dads old schwinn. Its a pretty nice bike. I live in the US and am a student in high school. I really want to compete in an event before the year is over. My question is to you all should I lift any weights? Eat different? What should I do to train for an event? Thnaks for all your help and I cant wait to start posting! :)

14. titnee

titnee New Member

15. djorzgul

djorzgul New Member

Just a quick sign in & hello:)
    My name is Djordje, and I am from Belgrade, Serbia... although soon I will relocate to Valence, France...

16. msclaudine

msclaudine New Member

Hi Claudine here! I am from Las Vegas NV

I'm a student in Bethany University

17. bevsta

bevsta New Member

Hello :)

Im from Ballarat, Victoria

I am a Barman at a local Hotel and nightlub.

Currently riding a custom built 2006 IronHorse Warrior mountain bike, But i am on the lookout for a flatbar roadie. :D

Cheers bevan

18. chicostee

chicostee New Member

I'm from south-central texas, I'm "chief bottle washer" for a small business, I ride just for the fun of it, I' am over half a century old, but when I ride I'm a kid again. Cycling (for me), is nearly as much fun as chasing granny around the house.

19. ibthr4u

ibthr4u New Member

Hello folks, I am from Long Beach, California. I have been riding bike for many years and I ride for recreation and work. I am glad to know you guys via the cyberspace...Have a great summer and stay cool.:)

20. Carlos Perez

Carlos Perez New Member

Carlos Pérez from El Paso, TX. Just starting. College studend. Will need some help about training.

Will appreaciate if some one can help me.

Thanks

µ nø±ð®¥öù§ ²³