Where are you from,what do you do?

I recently got into cycling after running and lifting weights for several years. I had thought about doing this a long time ago, but now that I have started I am very happy with my decision. I have a good base from running, but I can tell that it is going to take a lot of hard work, and dedication to fulfill what I want to do, which I have no problem with...none at all. Really taking it easy as I build my base up, then this winter, and next year I will start to ramp up the intensity. Running has given me a good perspective on the whole not doing to much to early kinda thing.

Anyways, I'm 23, from WI, and am a computer programmer by day, though I am really uninterested in computers.

Recently got a good deal on a Trek 2000, and am looking forward to many long, painful, hours in the saddle.

I live in Philadelphia, but I'll always be from Minnesota at heart.

For money, I am a statistician.

For fun, I:

- go out to restaurants which inevitably leads to weight-gain and the need to excercise;
- knit which inevitably leads to frustration and the need to expunge this with exercise;
- read which inevitably leads to a stiff back and the need to loosen up with excercise

...the list goes on, but you get it now I'm sure!

So I joined this forum to seek help with selecting a cycle so that I can start to get that much-needed exercise in a way that's healthy (none of that harsh, knee-destroying running for me anymore) and exciting (the wind through my helmet vents, the bugs in my teeth). I haven't cycled for about 15 years and then it was just on a 10-year-old 10-speed, so I'm a noob! I can't wait to get back in the saddle!

Well this is my first post.
Brief Bio is as follows. I rode for many years in the past. Non competetive. I stopped for about 5 years because the roads were too unsafe where I moved to.
I missed biking and started mountian biking. That was okay but I really missed road biking. I had an accident MB'ing and spasmed my back for about a year. Unbelievably painful. I developed a new found respect for people who have sore backs. My back has never really been the same since.
Anyway I am at a point where I am getting back into road biking. I have been training by running and Lifecycle at the gym. I have been test riding bikes and have settled on a Trek Pilot 5.0. The upright position at my age (44) hopefully will keep my back soreness at bay. So I should be ordering my bike next week and I hope to go slow but get back into it again.
this is a great forum

Hello all I'm from California Morgan Hill actually. Just started riding recently so any advise would be great..

Hi. I'm Petra; born and raised in the south (Georgia), prefer the north (New England) but am back in the South thanks to the Yank I married.

I've never been much for biking and health but now that I am no longer the teenager I am in my mind (I'm 38) I have taken up street biking for the health aspects as well as the competitive aspects (again, thanks to my Hubby. He's very motivating). I am so loving it!

Thanks for having me!

I was Born in Burlington, Iowa then raised in northern areas of New Jersey. I currently live in Ringwood, NJ. I'm 26 years old and been a graphic designer for the past 6 years. I recently found this website and this it's just excellent! I'm a member of many other forums for different sports, but this one is just full of great people. I am new to cycling and just purchased my first bike. I've recently switched my life in the past 7 months to being extremely healthy and active. I participate in many sports such as boxing, surfing and boating. Looking forward to riding with some of you.

Born and raised in Portland, Oregon. I'm a stay-at-home-mom of 2. I just recently started riding and love it. I use my rides as a way to get out of the house and get a little "me" time. Plus its a great way to get in shape after having babies.

I'm from Nashville, TN and I'm a Financial Advisor. I've been cycling for about 3 years after realizing that marathons aren't for me. I ride in as many organized/charity rides that I can per year. The first century I've done was last year. It was probably one of the worst centuries to start off with. I was glad to have rode it, I was glad to be finished though I looked forward to riding it again... the 3-state, 3-mountain in Chattanooga.

I was just reading about the CRX 2 bikes seem to me I am getting the right bike for me , I am 50 very soon and getting a CRX 2 for my birthday .
I am on an old KMART MTB at the moment and I don;t know if am slow or fast on it . on flats I seem to do ok but still the People on road bikes pass me by when I look at they leg RPM . I seem to be doing the same but can;t keep up with them ! I think when I get the CRX or I hope I can stay with them .
I'll let you know how I go !
Any more comments on the CRX 2 bike are most welcome
From shellharbour NSW 1 1/2 HRs South of Sydney

nicgal56 said:
I was just reading about the CRX 2 bikes seem to me I am getting the right bike for me , I am 50 very soon and getting a CRX 2 for my birthday .
I am on an old KMART MTB at the moment and I don;t know if am slow or fast on it . on flats I seem to do ok but still the People on road bikes pass me by when I look at they leg RPM . I seem to be doing the same but can;t keep up with them ! I think when I get the CRX or I hope I can stay with them .
I'll let you know how I go !
Any more comments on the CRX 2 bike are most welcome
From shellharbour NSW 1 1/2 HRs South of Sydney
From what I saw on http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=3635&cat=102&page=2#tab it looks like a good bike.
I started riding on a 18-speed mountain bike (also bought at KMart). The friend of mine that I started riding with bought a new custom made Giro road bike with 27-speeds. He would kick my butt. After I bought a Trek 1000, I do much better on the flats than he does. Believe me, going from a KMart MTB to a lightweight road bike.... you won't believe the difference.

I still haven't figured out how spending $7000 on a road bike can be that much better. The money spent on each gram less on a bike gets ridiculous.

From Sydney Australia - inner city /east.

42, have a media production business, although I have spent a lot of time as a media academic.

My rides are all pre-6am as I have 2 small kids to get ready for kindy, and a wife to make coffee for when I get home :)

Mostly ride about 30k a morning - longer on the weekends, although no later to start! Every day it's dry I'm out.

Started riding a Trek hybrid/flat bar /road bike this year, and realised that this was going to be a serious thing, so I bought a Cervelo Soloist carbon a little while ago [LOVE it!] Kept the Trek for commuting. Afetr 20+ years in the gym I am 105kg and falling - but am finding my fitness and ability going up in spades. I also get a pretty good flat sprint going - I developed a lot of power using weights - just need to build my Lactic threshold for riding!

Thinking of starting some group rides soon - get up to 80 - 90ks on the weekend. Maybe try riding a little D grade next year!
:)

From New Baltimore, MI. I own a small manufacturing company that makes professional quality bags for the hotel and hospital trades (for 41 years).

Just purchased a Trek 200 and am pleased with it so far. Before the Trek I ordered a Landrider from an infomercial on TV. Big mistake! While the Auto Shift idea is interesting and inviting, in practice I could never get it to work for me. As a mechanical designer, I had no difficulty understanding the concept and spent much time adjusting the Auto Shift.

When I called and asked them to take it back they were gracious and sent me a return package.

I would be interested to know if anyone has a satisfactory experience with the Landrider.

I am from the Bay Area, CA and manage the product development activities for a semiconductor laser manufacturer.

Rode a Specialized Rock Hopper since 1990 and picked up my first road bike last summer. I ride for fun and average about 80 miles per week.

Trek Madone 5.2
Ksyerium ES Wheels
FSA K-Force Carbon Compact Crank
Dura Ace and Ultegra Components
FSA Ceramic Bearings

A pic: http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=33366_bike1_521lo.JPG

I'm from SoCal and I'm a scientist and executive at a cancer research center. I'm also CEO of a start-up biotechnology company. I turned 50 last month and after 9 years of formula car racing at the semi-pro level and winning the masters series three years ago I decided to return to my cycling roots. I've been off the road bike for about 10 years, though have decent miles on my mtn bike. I bought a 2005 full Dura Ace Fuji team issue on clearance sale last month. Back in the day (78-86) I raced as a Cat 2 road/track out of Boulder Colorado. My best years were 80-82 when I got the chance to train under Eddy B at the OTC. Also got to be part of a VO2max study being performed at the OTC at the time and subsequently published. I believe it was an important paper at the time. I was also a director of the Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado, a chief official and frame builder. I was little more than a bike bum. Visions of turning pro filled my mind. Common sense finally overwhelmed me (I was toooo old already) and I went back to finish college (a feat that thanks to cycling took me no less than 11 years - not counting graduate school). That got interrupted by the opportunity to be in the Kevin Costner film - American Flyer. Bar hoping with Kevin, Rae-dawn Chong and Alexandra Paul was the high point of that experience ( that and having convinced the director that the only way they would get us to ride for longer distances for the helicopter shots was to pay us an additional $75/day).

As a scientist, I do gene therapy and was in the lab that performed the first human genetic engineering trial back in 89. After that, I became co-responsible for the first direct administration of a genetically engineered virus to a human to transfer a gene to try to correct cystic fibrosis. A documentary of our current genetic engineering project in patients with AIDS lymphoma was aired in February.

I'm just trying to get back in reasonable shape again, but I know I will end up racing. It's in my blood and there's nothing I can do about it. As Juan Manuel Fangio once said: "Racing is living, everything else is just waiting to race".

I am from Northern Virginia and I started riding again after a long 6 year layoff. I used to ride a rode (racing) bike all my life and organized a bike club in the ‘90s. I now ride a Burley Canto (recumbent) bike. It is a transformational experience for me and I like it.

I'm reins I'm from Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. I mainly do long distance running and done well with that and I've recently started getting into triathlons. I enjoy doing them but I don't have a decent bike (I have a bike with skinny tires but its a comfort bike so no racing handle bars) But, I do really well in them I just have to pull more in the running/swimming stretches, I got first today but I think I'd do a lot better with a decent bike. So I'm here for some info about racing/street bikes and recommendations.

Greetings-- I'm a steel frame CX guy from Chicago, ride a Gunnar CrossHairs set up for commuting. Love steel! I'm a teacher and graduate student in South Asian Studies/Indian History/Hinduism/Buddhism.

Glad to join the family! Cheers, Jeremy :)

I live in York, PA and have just bought a Trek 7200 hybrid. I haven't ridden a bike since my teenage years. ( which is quite a while ago ) After finally quitting smoking a little over a year ago, I decided it was time to get back in shape. ( other than round ) I ride mostly on the rail trail.

Im from San Diego California. I ride my bike to work (almost) daily (rain or shine) for a 56mi round trip. I have been doing this for several years.

Anyone from San Diego, is welcome to give me a shout. Im interested in doing some training for a Century (Tour de Poway).