Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi, You guys will probaly hate me nut I am not a bicycler.;) I actually came to this forum to ask a question about black soy beans. I am very active on many forums and my time is running thin beteen them all. I just began running and participated in a 5K race. Next year, I want to run again with the plans of breaking my own record. It just might kill me:eek: I will turn 50 years old in 2007 and want to hang on to my youth, the best I can. I hope to become somewhtat regular here and maybe pick up a new hobby.

Thanks,
Mary

Hello fellow cyclists,
My name's Gary and I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area with lots of hills to work out on. Good cycling to all.
Gary

I'm from Baltimore and my current job is to keep the world from being overrun by cookies. (I'm retired) I have two 67.5cm (c-c) Fujis that I really enjoy. I'm a roadie. I also have a Burley Limbo a former hanger queen. Today it's 55F already and I'm going for a ride. Check out my bikes via my signature.

Good afternoon. Newbie here saying Hi.

I am 24 live in Manchester, UK and for money I basically answer the phone and write emails. Bet you can guess my name (if not its Andy, or Baz)

I was a bit of an MTB enthusiast as a young teenager but lost interest as women and beer took the focus of my attentions. I play Cricket, Football, bit of a gym nut and do some running.

I ordered a road bike the other week as my aim is to do a triathalon, and have some fun, maybe take part in a few road races (Manchester-Blackpool springs to mind).

Anyway generally here for advice and information. Look forward to speaking with everyone. Oh yeah... and Happy New Year.

Hello, My name is Keegan and I live in Illinois. I'm 24 and want to become the best competive cyclist I can become. Any helpful hints on good races in northern Illinois would be much appreciated! I only have a couple of years of riding under me so feel to give me some good training tips.

Thank you

Howdy, my name is Jay and I live California. I am 29 and race, road races, time trails and triathlon. I raced as a junior, but gave it up for 7 years, and have been back racing since '03.

Hi I'm Steve from RSM California. I've been riding (March 05) my bike to work after several years (since 2000) of talking about it. What a great way to get in shape and feel great at work! The real workout is when I'm bringing papers home to grade. Yikes! I'd like to get into a little racing, but with three little ones, I think it's going to be difficult.

I use to do a lot of riding as a kid (BMX) and some MTB in the early days. I finally got a road bike since most of my MTB was on the road pulling two of my kids in a trailer. I love being out on the road - have had a few close calls already in construction zones.

I know that there's a lot of cycling groups in our area, but I'm not sure which one to get involved with. Any suggestions for South Orange County area?

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm from Ireland. I work in an Architect's Office. I raced for several years. Now, after 5-6 years off the bike I am trying to get into shape to race in 2007 season. It's not that easy, weather is terrible. 130km/h wind and horizontal rain!!!

Hi Im Maru
I'm a newbie in a way I used to ride at home in south america but I got in a small accident and decided to leave it for some time...10 years wow:eek:!
I'm trying to comeback and I got a bike in Xmas but is too heavy for my frame
I'm 5'2 so any advice? brands ?

beaverstuff said:
I'm from Baltimore and my current job is to keep the world from being overrun by cookies. (I'm retired) I have two 67.5cm (c-c) Fujis that I really enjoy. I'm a roadie. I also have a Burley Limbo a former hanger queen. Today it's 55F already and I'm going for a ride. Check out my bikes via my signature.
Holy cow. How tall are you? I saw pics of the bikes on your site... :eek:

Hello to everyone who loves cycling,

I am from Constantza-Romania, and I am happy to be with you , on road or net.
I introduce me, first, with 8200 km in 2006 and hope more for 2007, on road with my three bikes:
1- an old steel bike ALOIS LANG, with Campagnolo and Shimano parts
2-Look KG 381 , carbon frame, fork and handlebarr, with Campagolo Record and Veloce set, Gippieme wheels
3-COLNAGO TITANIO ART DECOR( this is my jewell), with carbon fork, stem and handlebar, ULTEGRA and FSA parts and MAVIC wheels.
I am 38 old, engineer, married, one child. I like performance, next day must be better

Thank you , and many kilometers

Hi I'm from the Central coast of NSW Australia. I'am an IT outsource manager and Ride a titanium Lemond with Chorus

Hi all,

I'm Jamie Fellrath, from Columbus, Ohio USA. I'm married and have one little boy. I'm a computer programmer at Ohio State University and I'm a bike commuter. I've been doing it for a couple months and so far I love it. I used to take the bus but it's so much nicer to control your own transportation and get exercise at the same time.

I ride a Specialized Expedition Sport that I got for my birthday, and I'm looking at making modifications to it to make it more commuter-friendly (though it already is quite a great commuter bike). Chainguards, fenders, etc. would all be nice, so I would welcome input from anyone who has suggestions for these.

Looking forward to chatting!
Jamie

jfellrath said:
Hi all,

I'm Jamie Fellrath, from Columbus, Ohio USA. I'm married and have one little boy. I'm a computer programmer at Ohio State University and I'm a bike commuter. I've been doing it for a couple months and so far I love it. I used to take the bus but it's so much nicer to control your own transportation and get exercise at the same time.

I ride a Specialized Expedition Sport that I got for my birthday, and I'm looking at making modifications to it to make it more commuter-friendly (though it already is quite a great commuter bike). Chainguards, fenders, etc. would all be nice, so I would welcome input from anyone who has suggestions for these.

Jamie
Hi Jamie:

Im glad to here your riding back and forth to work your right good for your health and not to mention your pocket book. Im a road cyclist my self there is a place I use a lot its called nashbar you can find it by going to www.nashbar.com they have all kinds of things you can buy for your bike I shopped there for a long time and have been happy with them . Dont forget the most importaint thing always wear your helmet when you ride be aware of other cars always act as if they dont see you because most of the time there not looking for you have fun and be carefull on the road.

Take Care and Keep Em Spinning!!!!

Tim4706

I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THIS SITE. :rolleyes: I WAS READING THE ARTICLE ON "CEREALS DO NOT QUALIFY TO BE CALLED FOODS" AND WANTE DTO REPLY. REGISTERED ON THIS SITE AND NOW I GET TO THIS WHERE ARE YOU FROM...ETC AND SEE ALL OF THIS STUFF ABOUT RACING. HOW DO I GET TO RELY TO THE ARTICLE I READ? :confused: IT SEEMS I AM ONE OF THE PERSONS WHICH THAT ARTICLE REFERED TO. IT DOES NOT SEEM THAT I AM BUT I AM. I KNOW MY RESERAH VERY WELL AND WOULD LIKE TO RESPOND TO THAT ARTICLE.
I AM A NUTRITIONIST LIVING IN AFRICA.:D

jfellrath said:
Hi all,

Jamie
Hi Jamie, welcome to the world of commuting. Today I passed a line of about 100 cars that were stopped at a train. It is nice to "control your own transportation and get exercise at the same time". Sorry about those Buckeyes. Just a case of Florida played about as well as they could, and OSU played about as bad as they could.

jfellrath said:
Hi all,

Jamie

I'm a commuting expert. Done it for years-decades.

Since you have access to lockers, showers and presumably a fridge and microwave as a OSU employee, this simplifies things.

Forget fenders and chainguards. You can get **** on you from all directions in the rain. You should always tie up floppy pants anyway. A bright goretex rainsuit might be nice in the rain, but you'll still get wet inside it from sweat. Avoid overdressing. If the roads are slick, know when to drive.

Wear cycling clothes on the bike and keep nice clothes, a shaving kit and towel and frozen dinners(if the cafeteria is closed) at work. You may have to use the car Mon or Fri to resupply.

If lockers, showers, fridges, etc are unavail, you must pack everything. You may have to spongebath, or Brut cologne smells nice and is cheap.

BRIGHT CLOTHING AND A HELMET IS VITAL!!! IN THE WINTER ONE OF YOUR TRIPS WILL BE IN THE DARK, SO BE WELL LIT, ESPECIALLY UP FRONT. ADD REFLECTIVE SASHES AND TAPE AND LEAVE ON THOSE STUPID CPSC REFLECTORS!!!

You're most likely to be cut off in front than hit from behind, especially if you are fast. I favor 2 independent headlights and taillights. Brighter and you stil have lights if one fails. Carry spare bulbs and batteries.
You also get what you pay for with LED lights. The more expensive ones are bigger and brighter.

Bright yellow clothes can be found at bike shops. Sporting goods stores stock hunter orange clothes, gloves, balaclavas and backpacks in the fall, when deer season starts. Basketball warmup pants come in bright colors and are brighter than cycling tights and lighter than hunting pants.

Also carry a small seat pack with a spare tube, 1 plastic spoon, CO2 inflator w/2 ctgs, multibit, jackknife style allen wrench and maybe an appropriate screwdriver

Brian
Des Moines