Where are you from,what do you do?

Hello everyone, I live in Chicago, IL... I'm new to long distance cycling and triathlons. I've decided to try my first triathlon in Sept. The triathlon consists of 6 mile kayak ride, 17 mile bike ride and a 5k run...

Any advice for a novice is greatly appreciated...

Howdy Y'all, I'm from Brownsville, Texas, USA, and my bicycle was my primary transportation. I work as a pirate/cook/deckhand on South Padre Island, Texas.
I stumbled upon this forum as I sailed the seas of cyberspace. LOL YAAARRRR!
I am planning a cross country trek, and am building my own camping trailer to haul behind a bicycle. My bicycle was recently stolen from me, the day before yesterday!

TheTexasPirate! said:
Howdy Y'all, I'm from Brownsville, Texas, USA, and my bicycle was my primary transportation. I work as a pirate/cook/deckhand on South Padre Island, Texas.
I stumbled upon this forum as I sailed the seas of cyberspace. LOL YAAARRRR!
I am planning a cross country trek, and am building my own camping trailer to haul behind a bicycle. My bicycle was recently stolen from me, the day before yesterday!
hi TTP Check Ebay for a replacement(no I don't work for
ebay LOL) I check there alot and do see the occasional bargain around south tejas.

10 speed said:
Here in the U.S. with our recent rise in the price of petrol people are starting to talk about rickshaw businesses mainly jokingly. People here would rather drive 4blocks (1/2km) than walk or ride a bike.Its insane how addicted we are to gasoline.
It's not that surprising 10 Speed, even with the cost of gas (or petrol) in the States, it is still considerably lower here than it in most "developed" countries. Also, here a car (or truck, or SUV) is only a status symbol if it is luxury. Most people that do not live in the major cities, are expected to have motor vehicles, and are expected to use them.

I can't speak to the major metropolitan areas as I have never lived in one of those, and San Antonio probably has more motorists than people that use Public Transportation. :)

Brandon, MS. I ride a Masi, swim in lakes, and grudgingly run a bit. For money I work in a Bank.

I live in Washington State and I'm 42 years old. I'm a Radio Program Director who loves to kayak as much as ride my bike.

I'm riding in order to lose weight, improve fitness, develop some strength and endurance.

Happy trails everybody......

Im from West Central Missouri...love to ride rural areas. Have about 500 miles on my latest upgrade ( Allez elite Triple, Red & White) . Started out on an entry level Allez Triple.

We, my wife Cat & I are from Southern California. We completed and around the world ride (23,000 miles, 57 countries, 4 years) in March 2006. Like all cycling we had our ups and downs but never quit and always found new and exciting places and people along the way. Check out the site, 10 million words, 15,000 pictures. Maybe our paths have crossed? Opps, almost forgot what we did before and still do now, in a limited sort of way, we're Realtors.

Pat Patterson

Howdy y'all! I'm a 32 year old software salesman from Jacksonville / St. Augustine, FL. I currently ride an 07 Trek 1500 (stock for now - looking at new wheels and saddle) and a 2000 Diamond Back Response Sport MB.

Father of one amazing little boy, soon to be two.

Nice forum here, thanks for having me!

I am from Houston. I ride, and ride, and ride...clean (USAC Cat 5). I am currently training for First Magnus' El Tour de Tucson XXV with Team & Training and for the Tri One0One in the Woodlands (sprint distance) for Athletes for a Cure/Prostate Cancer Foundation. Wednesday night crits here are at Memorial Park on the Picnic Loop. I attend culinary school full time and I am a chef full time at Hotel St. Regis/The Remington Restaurant currently in the pastry department but I am a misplaced line cook.

CycloJeto said:
I am from Houston. I ride, and ride, and ride...clean (USAC Cat 5). I am currently training for First Magnus' El Tour de Tucson XXV with Team & Training and for the Tri One0One in the Woodlands (sprint distance) for Athletes for a Cure/Prostate Cancer Foundation. Wednesday night crits here are at Memorial Park on the Picnic Loop. I attend culinary school full time and I am a chef full time at Hotel St. Regis/The Remington Restaurant currently in the pastry department but I am a misplaced line cook.
Cool avatar...welcome!

I am in to any physical outdoor endurance activities and have come to this forum to share my thoughts. I came across cyclingforums.com while replying to another persons post regarding sunscreen. I have discovered a really good product that seems to work really well as a natural, all around skin conditioner and UV-A / UV-B sunscreen. "BE MAUI BROWN!" from www.BeMauiBrown.com. It's SPF is unrated, but its natural ingredients and zinc oxide add up between 4 and 12, it sounds low but its benefits outweigh the pasty white stuff. I use it in and out of the sun. The Polynesians were the first to formulate a sunprotector like this one. It protects, heals and shields the skin during and after sun exposure. Plus it didn't burn my eyes while sweating. I love it on my feet while running and cycling. I can't explain the feeling, other than it coats my feet and prevents the tiring friction and sweat build-up, making it feel cooler and free:cool: . Just thought I would share a discovery of mine.

I am in to any physical outdoor endurance activities and have come to this forum to share my thoughts. I came across cyclingforums.com while replying to another persons post regarding sunscreen. I have discovered a really good product that seems to work really well as a natural, all around skin conditioner and UV-A / UV-B sunscreen. "BE MAUI BROWN!" from www.BeMauiBrown.com. It's SPF is unrated, but its natural ingredients and zinc oxide add up between 4 and 12, it sounds low but its benefits outweigh the pasty white stuff. I use it in and out of the sun. The Polynesians were the first to formulate a sunprotector like this one. It protects, heals and shields the skin during and after sun exposure. Plus it didn't burn my eyes while sweating. I love it on my feet while running and cycling. I can't explain the feeling, other than it coats my feet and prevents the tiring friction and sweat build-up, making it feel cooler and free:cool: . Just thought I would share a discovery of mine.

physfit said:
What do the Polynesians know about cycling anyway?

Yeah, come to think of it, Gilligan was the only cyclist I saw on the deserted tropical isles. Well, atleast the Polynesians got the sunscreen portion right :D. Canoe, bicycle.....minor mix-up, could happen to anyone. LOL.

Hi to all.

I am a 47 year old female who was introduced to mountain biking from one of its masters ;) - he knows who he is :)

I live in Berlin Germany and am looking for mountain bikers in my age group - male or female - if you visit Germany please feel free to contact me as well.

I live together with my 6 soon to be 7 year old , work as a translator and occassionaly also in photography.

I am new to this site. I am from Tennessee, living in southwest Florida. I am searching for training advice. I am new to cycling and want to improve my average speed as well as my distance. Any advice will be appreciated.:)

daisygirl53 said:
I am new to this site. I am from Tennessee, living in southwest Florida. I am searching for training advice. I am new to cycling and want to improve my average speed as well as my distance. Any advice will be appreciated.:)
What is your average speed at the moment?