Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi I am from Vermont and having been road cycling since 1969. Love riding and working on bikes whenever I can.:)

Hi I am from Vermont and having been road cycling since 1969. Love riding and working on bikes whenever I can.:)

Hi,

My name's Keiron,I live in South Wales,and have been back cycling these last 18 months,I'm 56 and last cycled when I was 12 or 13.Currently I part commute about 10 miles each way to work,on a Carrera Subway 8 bike.I really enjoy my commuting,and it's done me a power of good,I've only lost a few pounds in weight,but feel great and my tousers are alot looser.I just wish I'd rediscovered cycling years ago.

Keiron

keiron curtis said:
Hi,

My name's Keiron,I live in South Wales,and have been back cycling these last 18 months,I'm 56 and last cycled when I was 12 or 13.Currently I part commute about 10 miles each way to work,on a Carrera Subway 8 bike.I really enjoy my commuting,and it's done me a power of good,I've only lost a few pounds in weight,but feel great and my tousers are alot looser.I just wish I'd rediscovered cycling years ago.

Keiron
its never to late to start looking out for yourself.

Hi I'm Geoff,

I live in Castlemaine in central victoria and I hadn't ridden since I was a teenager about 30 years ago. I recently took up riding in order to loose some of this waistline and I've been commuting to work on a Giant Cypress City that I bought in town.

Love those hub gears... so easy to use :D

i'm a pharmacist from ft lauderdale, fl. i ride for fun whenever i'm not working. the next four months in south florida is awesome riding weather.

knirsray said:
its never to late to try to be more fit.that one of reasons i to
ok up cycling plus it help me kick the cigs.
O.K. I'm with you now,It's great you've given up cigs,I gave up smoking a pipe about 3 years ago(after 30 plus years)but hadn't got back to riding a bike at the time and really piled on the pounds,went from 15 to 17 stone in roughly 2 years.Now I've been riding for 18 months or so,but lost only half a stone,I feel great and have lost an inch around around my middle.I'm sure I will lose more slowly on my 20 mile round trip commute everyday(sorry 3 or 4 times a week,I work 12 hour shifts).One thing that is slowing the weight loss is the incredible appetite cycling gives me,I've got to learn to cut down and be strict with my consumption.Any suggestions?

maytown roadie said:
I'm from pa. I work at alcoa, as a setup oper. I ride a cannondale R1000.
I do alot of club rides.
i'm from pa too! there used to be an alcoa plant in cressona, pa. is that were you're working? i also used to work nearby.
KERK2221:)

Hello everyone,

My name is Ellie and I'm interested in buying a bicycle and start riding. Is not so easy since I am very short (5:2) and I want to touch ground with both feet while sitting on the bike. I am also overweight, over 50 and clumsy.
Any suggestions to what of type of bike I should buy? Please don't tell to just forget it because I know with the proper bike I could have fun and lose some weight at the same time.
Please help! I am in Southern California where we have great weather most of the time. Any help with suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Ellie.......first you need to establish a budget then you need to decide what kind of riding you want to do. I would then go to a reputable bike shop in your area. I would inquire about women specific bicycles(most major bike manufacturers make them ie: Trek, Specialized) and see if you can have them "fit" you with a bike.
You can ride no matter how large or small you are. I started riding seriously since last June and combined with diet I've lost almost 25 pounds. Good luck you.

Mercy614 said:
Hello everyone,

My name is Ellie and I'm interested in buying a bicycle and star riding. Is not so easy since I am very short (5:2) and I want to touch ground with both feet while sitting on the bike. I am also overweight, over 50 and clumsy.
Any suggestions to what of type of bike I should buy? Please don't tell to just forget it because I know with the proper bike I could have fun and lose some weight at the same time.
Please help! I am in Southern California where we have great weather most of the time. Any help with suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hola folks! I live in Santa Clara, CA USA. I'm getting ready to head back to school, commuting full time on bicycle. I have not owned a bike (until a few weeks ago) for about 6 years so I'm very excited to get rolling again. I grew up riding BMX and mountain bikes up in Oregon. I'm currently in the process of having a singlespeed put together.

Hello from Boston...I thought members if this community might be intererested in a new book about the first international female sports star who earned her fame as a 'round the world cyclist in 1894-5 (I am the book's author so I am not unbiased). Published this month by Citadel Press in New York, the book is called "Around the World on Two Wheels: Annie Londonderry's Extraordinary Ride." It's available from Amazon and other online retailers.

I am copying here a brief release about the book and am happy to answer any questions about it. I also happen to be an avid cyclist:

New Book Tells the Astonishing Story of the Young Mother from Boston who Circled the World by Bicycle in 1894-5

It was, declared the New York World on October 20, 1895, “the most extraordinary journey ever undertaken by a woman” -- an audacious, solo, ‘round the world race against time on a bicycle – and the woman who made it was a working class Jewish mother from Boston, Annie Cohen Kopchovsky. Though she became a global sensation in the mid-1890s, and was a singularly colorful and eccentric woman, her story had been lost to history for more than a century.

Around the World on Two Wheels: Annie Londonderry’s Extraordinary Ride (Citadel Press, 2007), is the remarkable story of the woman who transformed herself into an international celebrity as the globe trotting cyclist, Mlle. Annie Londonderry, a pseudonym she took from her first corporate sponsor, the Londonderry Lithia Spring Water Company of New Hampshire.

The journey, set against the backdrop of the women’s movement, the bicycle craze and an intense periods of globalization brought on by advances in communications and transportation technology, illuminates many vital aspects of late 19th century life.

Miss Londonderry was reportedly set in motion by a novel, high-stakes wager that required Annie not only to circle the earth by bicycle in 15 months, but to earn $5,000 en route, as well. This was no mere test of a woman’s physical endurance and mental fortitude; it was a test of a woman’s ability to fend for herself in the world.

Traveling with only a change of clothes and a pearl-handled revolver, Annie earned her way, in part, by turning her bicycle and her body into a mobile billboard, carrying advertising banners and ribbons through the streets of cities around the world. Thus adorned, and riding a men’s bicycle and a man’s riding suit, Annie turned every Victorian expectation of female propriety on its ear. She was outlandish, outrageous, radical and charismatic and she set out to do what no woman had done before.

Hello from Boston...I thought members of this community might be intererested in a new book about the first international female sports star who earned her fame as a 'round the world cyclist in 1894-5 (I am the book's author so I am not unbiased). Published this month by Citadel Press in New York, the book is called "Around the World on Two Wheels: Annie Londonderry's Extraordinary Ride." It's available from Amazon and other online retailers.

I am copying here a brief release about the book and am happy to answer any questions about it. I also happen to be an avid cyclist:

New Book Tells the Astonishing Story of the Young Mother from Boston who Circled the World by Bicycle in 1894-5

It was, declared the New York World on October 20, 1895, “the most extraordinary journey ever undertaken by a woman” -- an audacious, solo, ‘round the world race against time on a bicycle – and the woman who made it was a working class Jewish mother from Boston, Annie Cohen Kopchovsky. Though she became a global sensation in the mid-1890s, and was a singularly colorful and eccentric woman, her story had been lost to history for more than a century.

Around the World on Two Wheels: Annie Londonderry’s Extraordinary Ride (Citadel Press, 2007), is the remarkable story of the woman who transformed herself into an international celebrity as the globe trotting cyclist, Mlle. Annie Londonderry, a pseudonym she took from her first corporate sponsor, the Londonderry Lithia Spring Water Company of New Hampshire.

The journey, set against the backdrop of the women’s movement, the bicycle craze and an intense periods of globalization brought on by advances in communications and transportation technology, illuminates many vital aspects of late 19th century life.

Miss Londonderry was reportedly set in motion by a novel, high-stakes wager that required Annie not only to circle the earth by bicycle in 15 months, but to earn $5,000 en route, as well. This was no mere test of a woman’s physical endurance and mental fortitude; it was a test of a woman’s ability to fend for herself in the world.

Traveling with only a change of clothes and a pearl-handled revolver, Annie earned her way, in part, by turning her bicycle and her body into a mobile billboard, carrying advertising banners and ribbons through the streets of cities around the world. Thus adorned, and riding a men’s bicycle and a man’s riding suit, Annie turned every Victorian expectation of female propriety on its ear. She was outlandish, outrageous, radical and charismatic and she set out to do what no woman had done before.

For more information see http://www.annielondonderry.com

Hi, The Bothy Ghost here.

I'm Scottish, from Fife, and a mountaineer.

I was attracted to post in this site because of some of the things I read in a "Cycling Forums" thread entitled "Bothys" (sic)

Many bothies in Scotland are maintained by the MBA (Mountain Bothies Association), which is a Scottish Charity whose remit is, "To maintain simple shelters in remote country for the use and benefit of all who love wild and lonely places.", although there are probably more bothies in the country which are maintained by estates and private groups.
If you are genuinely interested and love remote places, then look for this thread, read what I have to say and consider it deeply.

Kind regards,

The Bothy Ghost. (Bill)