Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. trekchic

trekchic New Member

I love Middle Tennessee, especially this time of year. Lots of cool weather and great rural roads to ride on. I'll admit, come January, I'll be wishing I lived in Florida! We don't get a tremendous amount of snow in Nashville, but the rain, sleet and ice shut this town down! It gets bone chilling cold!!!!!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY NEW BIKE! I spent a little more than I had intended to, but I'm so glad I did! I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to learn to ride as quickly as I have, but determination and practice mean a lot in this sport!

2. fuelrider

fuelrider New Member

Greetings from Spokane, WA. Best road riding in the USA. Ride a clunky old TREK 2100 with Ultegra group set. October 21, and it is a record setting 75 degrees.

3. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

Scuse me for being naive but is that a record high or record low?

Aren't you in fall at the moment?

4. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Had a few races in Spokane, years ago when I use to live in BC. Lived about 2-3 hours north in the Kootenays. I miss the weather an the HUGE climbs.....

Memph

5. campy23

campy23 New Member

Hi, I'm currently living in Providence, Rhode Island but lived in the Seattle area for 12 years before moving here for work. I am a chemical engineer by training who relocated to work for a local bio-technology company.

I am currently riding a beautiful blue Gios on the road, a Raleigh for touring and rain and a Trek 8000 off road. The cycling in this area is good, very beautiful, but not enough riders compared to Seattle. I've ridden 8000 miles since Feb of 2002 including a 2500 mile fully loaded tour through europe. I currently aim for 100-150 miles a week

6. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

What kind of secret drugs do you produce? Anything to turn ppl into "zombies"? .....

Europe trip sounds like it could have been enjoyable.....

Memph

7. campy23

campy23 New Member

nothing to secret or evil. the drugs that we make are for debillitating chronic disease. the trip through europe was a blast. you can see pics at mysite.verizon.net/campy23.

8. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Thanx, I shall have a look.....

Memph

9. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Hello,

I am from (and am still in) Arlington, Virginia. I biked a ton as a kid and even did most of my own bike maintenance, but from 12 to 27, I did not own a bike or go biking. Then about 10 years ago, I bought my mtn bike (rigid) and used it as a commuter bike for 8 years before I actually tried mtn biking. That started my craze to get a better bike and go faster and do more interesting things.

Road bike shopping depressed me for a while because I have fit issues (super short legs--apparently--and a long torso). Thank heaven for the compact frame bike! I'm so glad Specialized makes one in steel too!

This year, I organized a casual biking group composed of mostly people at work on hybrids/mtn bikes, biking easy trails near the Key Bridge in D.C. and a couple of long rides on the W & OD trail. I also biked the BellePlain Fall Century in New Jersey earlier this month (but it killed me--i'm such a newbie at the road bike thing!).

I work at a non-profit called NatureServe (well, i'd give you the link, but i suspect i'm not supposed to do that here), and have mostly done application technical support , engineering and programming. [and if you're a decent java programmer with a heart for conservation, apply for our open job position!!]

But lest anyone think I'm a geek (well, I am, but nevertheless), I graduated with an Engish Major and had some idea that I was going to make my riches through fiction writing. (i take life's bumps as they come...).

Love really good i.p.a. (Anderson Valley Hoppin Ott I.P.A.--mmmm yummy).

Greetings to all. I hope I didn't overdo it on the bio.....

- brightgarden

10. XLR8R Man

XLR8R Man New Member

I am from the Washington DC area living in N. VA. during the week and have a chalet in the mountains of WV. Thats my weekend home and training ground for climbing.

I have been riding and racing for over 20 years and now race Mens Masters on my Orbea XLR8R with Campy Record groupo.

My profession is that of a mortgage broker, great business for many years and these past two have been awesome. :p

I still train to race and am currently hoping to move to Florida:cool: in a few months to spend the rest of my 40's on up living in sunshine on a sailboat doing some scuba diving in the keys.;)

11. torreceuti

torreceuti New Member

hi
    i´m torre form ceuti-murcia-south east spain.
    i own an ORBEA similar to the one used by the MAIA team in Portugal, but "only" with ULTEGRA
    i also own a MASSI CASTA LX for mountain bike.
    if anyone comes around here for holidays and would like a guided tour (either road or mountain bike) just let me know.

12. mbwatson

mbwatson New Member

This has been an interesting read! I work in the IT industry. Ride 3 - 5 times a week. Usual rides are about 1 hour each during the week with a longer ride on Saturday.

Earlier this year I trained for and completed Paris Brest Paris, and encourage any who have the desire to pursue it.

To the responder from the Philippines, I lived in Makati while I attended high school. Makati, Quezon City, Manila, et. al. is not a place to ride! Now, north towards Baguio - that's the ticket!

13. mtbfahrer

mtbfahrer New Member

I'm from Rotselaar, Belgium . Used to do XC races ,as a hobby, up until a couple of years ago. Then I got bored with running in little circles :) . So this year should have been a new start for me as I planned to do some longer distance bike marathons. And then I guess faith cought up with me and I seriously dammaged my right legg.

So I only restarted riding my bikes a good 2 months ago. I do an average of 5 hours real biking a week, an additional 6 hours a week to and from work ( automobile check-up ) , one or two hours of spinning a week and a couple of hours in the fitness-studio.
    With the current healingproces progress, the legg ought to be strong anough to go skiing at the end of november ( other side of the globe : Lake Louise , AB Canada yiehaaa )

Greetz to all the riders / bikers / ... out there.

Herbert

14. mccarten

mccarten New Member

From: Davis, California USA.... Just returned from Kenya but not for bicycling,

Profession: Biologist

Cycling: Not racing (much) anymore. Commute 60 mile round trip to work then ride on weekends as well.

Cheers,

15. dejonica

dejonica New Member

Profession: IT Systems Admin for the CSIRO

Cycling: Just an old peugeot road bike. I've only just got back into cycling after not riding for around 13 years. Ride approx 100-200kms a week.

16. slazer

slazer New Member

I'm from Connecticut, USA but work in Manhattan. Ride almost every morning before work, til it got too dark and cold, and as much as possible on the weekend.
    My husband and I will be in Cape Town, SA in a week. Bringing our bikes so we can ride there. Any good routes??

17. pineapple

pineapple New Member

Anyone else here from Buckinghamshire, England???? or anywhere in the UK? :confused:

I've just finished school this summer, and I'm taking a gap year before going to uni (college for those of us from the states) next October. In the meantime I'm working for Sharp, doing some electronic stuff for them, and earning a bit of money hopefully to make university a slightly less painful experience :) (and also to get a decent road bike - my mtb with road tires is not great for tackling the lanes of the chiltern hills).

18. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

East coast of Canada..... in Halifax. I am just a blue collar guy.....warehouse supervisor. Been riding a MTB since the mid 80`s but got into the road scene in 2002.

19. gwumpkus

gwumpkus New Member

greetings! i'm from Singapore. my main biking interest is in triathlon races. i'm currently racing on a C'dale R-600 Aero with Dura Ace groupset, and training on an older Peugeot Ventoux Steel frame with Shimano 600 7-spd groupset...:p

20. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Holy moly, I used to be a regular on this forum but changed jobs in the beginning of September and has been unable to get on the forum as the server at my new job only dails up every hour and then basicaly only to download e-mail, I'm also on the road a lot now.
    I nearly fell of my chair when I saw how the Forum has grown in this last couple of months that I've been unable to visit. To all you new members - a big welcome from South Africa!
    To the administrators - good to see that you ceeping the Forums the best Forum online, Tx for the great job. Now I want to start catching up a bit on all the news and gossip. C'ya