Where are you from,what do you do?

I'm from south-western Ontario, CANADA. I'm 65 years old, retired NORTEL employee and do self-contained bicycle touring for the most part of the summer. This is my season for "dreaming" of next year's tour. Any suggestions out there? I prefer touring in north America........byfred

Originally posted by Ed Roy
Here on the eAst Coast, its 42 and rainy, so Im
jealous millie. It was in the high 70s here last week and got
in some nice comfortable miles.

always heard burning man was pretty wild
Im a lawyer out here

What is Burning Man?

Greetings.

I am a just-turned-49 husband and father of 2 kids (4 and 10) from the Los Angeles area. My profession is real estate appraisal and I have been s busy with work during the refinance boom of the last several years that I had little time for exercise and have gotten very out of condition.

I bought new bikes for myself and my family so my younger child can learn to ride, my older one can improve and start riding to school and with her friends, and my wife has a way to keep fit. I have been riding my bike as often as I can and am enjoying getting back into condition. I have no interest in racing, just riding for recreation.

Matt

G'day all,

I'm a Mr Mom due to work related injuries and spend my time designing and fabricating custom cycles. About to build my fifth custom chopper cycle after a two year break. Great forum here, take a while to get through.

We recently moved north to Bundaberg from Brisbane (400 kms)and after settling into the new house I've been organising the family cycles. A classic original '70's BMX for my wife and currently fabricating a BMX/MTB hybrid for my 13 yo son.

We have a great mass of trails in the bushland opposite the house which receives regular visits by the locals and my son informs me it's quite a challenge on mum's bike, so I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers all :D

Originally posted by byfred
I'm from south-western Ontario, CANADA. I'm 65 years old, retired NORTEL employee and do self-contained bicycle touring for the most part of the summer. This is my season for "dreaming" of next year's tour. Any suggestions out there? I prefer touring in north America........byfred

Was it a forced retirement? Use to work for a company here in Ontario, that had many ex-Nortel employees and equipment.....

Memph

Hey! Im originally from Connecticut but am now in Massachusetts for college. Im a freshman right now and studying to be in advertising.

ok im aa little late into this thread but im from sydney Aus,

By day im a ciomputer nerd, but by nite i can be found chugging away on the home traininer or scaring myself silly on the roads of sydney

Weekends are reserved for my true biking passion : XC mountain biking.

Other than that theres not much to tell!

happy trails

Originally posted by Memphmann
Was it a forced retirement? Use to work for a company here in Ontario, that had many ex-Nortel employees and equipment.....

Memph

It was as good as "forced retirement"!! I was in the London Plant for 31 years and was offered an incentive to retire, which I jumped at. Two years later, the plant was gone and the jobs were in Mexico & Calgary. I love retirement and do a lot of self-contained bicycle touring........byfred

I suggest Thailand as a the best place for touring in the world!

Originally posted by ianf
I suggest Thailand as a the best place for touring in the world!

Have you been to Thailand? What makes it so wonderful for touring?
I enjoy the Canadian Maritimes, ie Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia & New Brunswick.......byfred

Have you been to Thailand? What makes it so wonderful for touring?
I enjoy the Canadian Maritimes, ie Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia & New Brunswick.......byfred

Thailand is justv wonderful. Go to www.cyclingthailand.com and you'll find details of Khun Tanin and I's tour of the north. Very quiet roads, great food, great scenery, flat or mountainous (up to you). In October next year we're doing the very north to the very south - a fast tour of 11 days and 2100km. Come and join us and raise much needed cash for a rescue centre for sexually abused (by tourists) children. Contavt me at www.speechmark.net

hello everyone!
I live in New England...am originally from NY (Long Island). My poppy (from Italy) was a HUGE Bartoli fan-my uncle preferred Coppi. both empassioned on their stance!
Work as a drug counselor (could get work w/the uci I suppose!). Also work w/abused children. byfred: keep up the fundraising-those of us in the field put it to good use for our kids!
As an adult-rode mostly mtn bike until 4 yrs ago and went back to road riding.
ciao!

Greetings from Texas! I'm a cycling nut. I've been at it for over a year and just celebrated my fourteenth thousand mile on the bike this week. In addition, I've lost over 35 lbs. It's literally changed my life. I'm a Certified Public Accountant who doesn't spend too much time chasing numbers these days ... only cars.

I'm 38, based in Prague,Czech Republic. Work as a bookseller, started mtb 3 years ago and and by now I'm fully addicted. Ride 6 days a week,structured training,all that jazz, aiming to become top rider of my age group in the country within next two years. I race mtb marathons but train mostly on the road. I love it but have to warn some of you: my dedication to the sport nearly cost me my marriage so be careful and set your priorities straight.

I am from Milwaukee, WI, USA and started riding this summer on a new bike that shall remain nameless. I quickly discovered that cycling is for me and am now going to step beyond the heavy hybrid and go for a road bike. I must say, though, that the heavy bike helped prepare me for my October bike trip in Tuscany. And THAT trip taught me that I needn't be as intimidated by hills as I had been. :-D

I enjoy reading posts I don't even understand (from a technical standpoint) but the more I read, the more it sinks in. I also appreciate that members stay on-topic.

If anyone can recommend info re: small group rides outside the US (and Europe), I'd love to hear from you.

By day I'm a professional resume writer.

Ellen

Originally posted by gimmeabreakcz
I'm 38, based in Prague,Czech Republic. Work as a bookseller, started mtb 3 years ago and and by now I'm fully addicted. Ride 6 days a week,structured training,all that jazz, aiming to become top rider of my age group in the country within next two years. I race mtb marathons but train mostly on the road. I love it but have to warn some of you: my dedication to the sport nearly cost me my marriage so be careful and set your priorities straight.

That is why you have to have spouse/g-friend/b-friend that understands cycling.

Mine is one such person. Her father is a cyclist who attempted to race. After club rides, he use to tell his family of this cocky racer. He would never shut up, even when they all were exhausted from attempting to drop him. Then he would finally jump and be gone. She finally saw this cocky bloke in a mtb (1st mtb race, entered to prove how weak these racers are, and proved that point well) race, and got juiced over his body. The last she saw of him until 4 yrs later. He was already out of sport. She was the one that finally got me back into riding. Am lucky, now my turn to get her into this sport. With the proper training, she could be an elite female racer in 2-3 yrs tops........

Memph

Originally posted by Guest
(Unless I missed something) I'm the only American and the only WOMAN here!!

WOO HOO!

Here is another woman! No American, though, but German. I live in T-Mobile Town but am a die-hard US Postal fan. Am saving up to buy my first racing bike (better late than never!). Guess what brand.

Originally posted by Kathrin
Here is another woman! No American, though, but German. I live in T-Mobile Town but am a die-hard US Postal fan. Am saving up to buy my first racing bike (better late than never!). Guess what brand.

American here, rhode Island, east coast, road biker, male