Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi my name is Anthony (Tony) I am 75 years young. I had a quadruple bypass last December, so I am in good shape once again, although rather slow, due to the medication I have to take, I rode 85k with the clubs medium speed group the other week, I felt like a wet noodle!(slow) They were very good and stayed with me, although I said I was OK. The club is the Newmarket Eagles, here in Ontario. This year is the clubs 25th. anniversary. I was club president for 12 of those years, also a founding member. I have around 6 bikes one is a carbon fibre bike, I bought the frame on ebay, I think Hong Fu was the manufacturer, they make very good frames, I also built a couple of bikes using their frames for club members, one was their high end TT frame, the fellow really likes it. I have a couple of Cyclops bikes and a couple of Wolfe bikes, made by local people. I also have a Redline conquest cyclo cross bike that I have fenders on for wet weather. I enjoy riding, I used to enjoy racing too, however I think that is finished for me.

ColeJustesen said:
Hi everyone! I am new to the whole road bike experience and I was hoping to gather information on what I would need in a entry level road bike.

I can't wait to get setup so I can ride around town and on our community walking/running/biking path called the Greenbelt.

Cole
I went to a road bike shop to ask about a map of bike routes and they were REALLY helpful. The manager even said that he would ride with my husband and I to show us some new bike routes. I would check out a couple of shops!
Kathleen

O.A.I.T.W. said:
Hi Everyone...I'm another new guy...I live in the East Bay in Northern California. I'm retired and I've taken the bike down from the rafters in the garage where it's pretty much resided since I purchased it back in '97. I'm hoping to shrink the waistline as my bike and I get to know each other...
I think that it's great that you are beginning now that you have time to really enjoy the road! I love my rides and the adventure that new routes bring.
Kathleen

Kathleen Forero said:
I went to a road bike shop to ask about a map of bike routes and they were REALLY helpful. The manager even said that he would ride with my husband and I to show us some new bike routes. I would check out a couple of shops!
Kathleen
Hi Kathleen, there are many aspects to look at when purchasing a new bike and you don't know much about them. Go to a bike shop that has enthusiasts who also ride, they will fit you to your bike and after sales support is SO important, free tune ups for a year as well as adjustments, that is worth quite a lot, the price is not so important, if you travel 50 miles to get a better price on a bike, then you could be the loser in the long run. If the local bike shop guys are good, then they are the ones to deal with. Lets face it the bike you buy now may not be the bike you are riding in about 3 years, not if you are bitten by the bike bug!

[lang=pt][QUOTE = Videomaker; 3952114] Eu sou de Hamilton na Nova Zelândia, e eu sou um pintor, não é bom no golfe, mas tomou a bicicleta da estrada como um pato na água, parou de perseguir os pintos depois de pegar um agora tem 5 filhos e 8 netos. [/ QUOTE][/lang]

Here in so cal near the Fullerton and brea area in east Whittier friendly hills. Been riding road bikes for about a year now. Used to own a Giant OCR2 now I own a scattante Cfr sport full carbon with 105 and tiagra components. Love to ride and I'm looking forward to doing some centuries, tours and fun races. Hoping to get really serious about it and make a difference somehow. If anyone is in the area of Whittier, hit me up so we can ride together.

[lang=nl]Haai

Ik ben Dominque, 28 jaar oud woon in berlijn. ben mijn liefde achter na verhuisd maar kom er achter dat het hier soms best eenzaam is![/lang]

Southern is one of Melbourne's largest cycling clubs for seniors riding bikes and masters racing.

We now have a new website which has course maps, heaps of fantastic photos, lots of information for new cyclists in Melbourne, tips for racing and lots more. Its a great website. http://www.southernvets.com.au Melbourne Cycling Club.

hi,everyone:

I am a cyclist in Xi'an P.R.C., we have a cycling club named as ZERO KM, and the website is:bbs.cn0km.com, but i'm sorry it was in Chinese, if soneone want to see it in English, you can visit here:bike.cn0km.com, which was just setup recently, more contents will be added.

hope to see you in Xi'an.

Hi, my name is Andrew. I am 25 and I am a very hefty guy. I have been out of biking for a few years, ever since my last mountain bike got stolen. I am looking to get back into it, so I joined the forums. I am from Drumheller, Canada.

tony40150 said:
Hi Kathleen, there are many aspects to look at when purchasing a new bike and you don't know much about them. Go to a bike shop that has enthusiasts who also ride, they will fit you to your bike and after sales support is SO important, free tune ups for a year as well as adjustments, that is worth quite a lot, the price is not so important, if you travel 50 miles to get a better price on a bike, then you could be the loser in the long run. If the local bike shop guys are good, then they are the ones to deal with. Lets face it the bike you buy now may not be the bike you are riding in about 3 years, not if you are bitten by the bike bug!
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your advice; it was really the long version of the advice that I was giving the other guy. I hope you responded to him! I'm not THAT new!
Kathleen

Kathleen Forero said:
I think that it's great that you are beginning now that you have time to really enjoy the road! I love my rides and the adventure that new routes bring.
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen...I'm beginning to feel the same way about my rides too. My only regret is I didn't get into it sooner...

O.A.I.T.W. said:
Hi Kathleen...I'm beginning to feel the same way about my rides too. My only regret is I didn't get into it sooner...
Check out Google maps. There is a bike icon that can show you the bike routes in your area.
Kathleen

Hi all, I'm Mike from Staten Island, NY. I usually try to do a few "races" a year (like the MSNY bike ride for 100 miles, the 5 borough bike ride, and this year I'm doing one in New Jersey.) Each Saturday I do a training ride by myself that is between 30 and 50 miles on Staten Island (depends on how much time I have that morning.) I am currently riding a 2007 Trek 2100 ZR and plan on upgrading to a 2000 Trek Madone USPS frame.

Treks 4 life said:
Hi all, I'm Mike from Staten Island, NY. I usually try to do a few "races" a year (like the MSNY bike ride for 100 miles, the 5 borough bike ride, and this year I'm doing one in New Jersey.) Each Saturday I do a training ride by myself that is between 30 and 50 miles on Staten Island (depends on how much time I have that morning.) I am currently riding a 2007 Trek 2100 ZR and plan on upgrading to a 2000 Trek Madone USPS frame.

How big is Staten Island?

alienator said:
Fifty miles has gotta be a tight squeeze or a couple loops, anyway.

A very tight squeeze. I go 3 miles north (all uphill) and then come back (3 miles downhill) following by a 6 mile trip east and a 9 mile trip south (to the south shore.) I then start the trip back home, go around a school 10 times (a mile each trip around) and take the long way home.

And that's my 50 mile trip which is very hilly and enjoyable.

Treks 4 life said:
A very tight squeeze. I go 3 miles north (all uphill) and then come back (3 miles downhill) following by a 6 mile trip east and a 9 mile trip south (to the south shore.) I then start the trip back home, go around a school 10 times (a mile each trip around) and take the long way home.

And that's my 50 mile trip which is very hilly and enjoyable.

Cool! You get points for making the most of what you've got. Ride safe!