Where are you from,what do you do?

Greetings from the 43rd State :D !

Just getting back into cycling/commuting. The last bike I bought was a Cannondale Super V 1000 back in 1996 so I'm a little behind the times in cycle tech :eek: ! I'm hoping to catch up on cycling tech and riding skills by joining this forum.

And I'm a medic in an E.R. I've been in E.M.S. since 1988.

Hello to all,

A quick introduction because I'm new to the cycling forum.

My name is TJ, I'm 24 years old and live in Amsterdam.
I used to cycle a lot form my 9th untill my 15th, but quit after that.

Now I recently bought a new hybrid bike (probably not a real bike to some of you :D )
and started cycling again!

I'm happy to have found this forum, it looks great!

Ciao,

TJ

OK,here we go. My name is Jeff and I'm from Nashville tn. I have a wife three kids and I work in a button factory:D. Actually my wife is a pediatrician and I manage the business. I work out on an irregular basis. as I age I would like to find an exercise that I can do long term that is fun. I am thinking bout doing the Jack n back for my first run, but need to train first. Just looking for info on beginner stuff. I am not a type a person, but would like to get into shape and stay that way. Any help would be appreciated.
Later,
Jeff

- Name: Jonny Perrott
- Screen name: jonnymrp
- from: Uxbridge ON, Canada. lives in Zomba, Malawi, Africa.
- do: Director of Africycle.
- rides: giant MTB, Mongoose Touring road bike
- enjoys: credit card touring and x country racing
- hobbies: design, management, fabrication, reading,

Hi guys, my name is Carl and I am from Largo, FL. (central Pinellas county).

Mostly I've done VERY recreational mountain biking, and recently I have really gotten into running but I want to branch off into biking as well. I've kept my morning runs, and added an evening ride as well. Actually, I'm looking for a new bike too, so I was hoping to sort of use you guys for some insight on the best type of bike for what I want since there really isn't a lot of mountains or off road trails where I live now.

Hi Ladies and Gents,
My names Doug . I am a Ice Hockey Director/Ice Rink Director from PA. Just starting out in the cycling world and really loving the adventure I am finding in it. Mainly I started just to keep in shape for the college hockey off-season but quickly realized I am loving this sport more and more as a means of competition and fun.
Ride: Giant Defy 2
What I want out of this place: To find out how to maintain a lifestyle in the sport and not kill myself after coming to a stop with my clipless system(i.e. restarting and not falling over on a slight incline.)

DSGoalie31 said:
Hi Ladies and Gents,
My names Doug . I am a Ice Hockey Director/Ice Rink Director from PA. Just starting out in the cycling world and really loving the adventure I am finding in it. Mainly I started just to keep in shape for the college hockey off-season but quickly realized I am loving this sport more and more as a means of competition and fun.
Ride: Giant Defy 2
What I want out of this place: To find out how to maintain a lifestyle in the sport and not kill myself after coming to a stop with my clipless system(i.e. restarting and not falling over on a slight incline.)

Welcome to the forum. As you approach your stop switch gears to something 'easy' smaller chain ring and bigger one on the back (low gears) that way when you start forward you won't have to push so hard to get moving. Hope this helps.

concord said:
Welcome to the forum. As you approach your stop switch gears to something 'easy' smaller chain ring and bigger one on the back (low gears) that way when you start forward you won't have to push so hard to get moving. Hope this helps.
Thanks man it really does!

Hey guys!
Im from Toronto, Canada. I've been riding my whole life, and always mountain bikes. Recently, me dearly beloved Haro Vector got stolen, so I bought my first road bike ever for 80$ on Craigslist!! It rides great, and so far im loving the sport.

Hey, im from Western Scotland, I ride a mountain bike at the moment but that,s just not good enough for speed etc etc. not started road cycling yet but plan to once I have the funds for a bike. My day job is a student. Im 6 feet 2 inches tall and weight about 13.5 stones.

Hey all - My name is Carrie. My husband and I starting riding this spring and are hooked, I bought a used Raleigh C-40 to get started and I am already ready to invest a nice new bike.
I hoping to get some great advice and learn as I go here.

NW Arkansas USA, retired.

Aeronautical engineer, spent most of my life as a free lance photographer. Primarily
doing F1 shoots.
Married, one child, five grand kids, no dogs or cats.
Wife is a retired model, lawyer, now flying as a relief pilot for a large corporation.
She flies no more than five days a month.

Hi everyone,
I just signed up at this forum. I've had bikes for most of my life, but more the generic 10 speed type bikes you can buy anywhere. I just bought a road bike. It's a Trek 2000, 47cm bike. It's a used bike. I'm very happy with it. I got it last weekend actually. I'm 5' tall. Actually we just picked up my husband's new road bike. He got a Cannondale bike. He's always ridden mountain bikes, so he's getting used to the road bike. He has a Trek mountain bike. Our next purchase will be finding a mountain bike that actually fits me.
I work as a merchandiser for several companies. We're in the Jacksonville, NC area.

Hello everybody,
My Name is Walter,grew up in Switzerland, live in Colorado now.
I love Road Cycling, just started a couple of years ago but I'm ready
to build my own ride now, so I'll be bugging you guys a bunch I'm sure;)

I'm Susan from the MetroWest Boston area. I've been biking for the past 18 years and tend to take a supported active biking vacation almost every year. Between these trips, I cycle 20-40 miles at a time (40 rarely) from May thru early November. I don't like to bike in bad weather. I do spin all winter to stay in shape.

Its not about the bike. Mine is 4 years old and it's a mid-level Trek road bike, I don't even know or care what the model is.

It is about seeing the world up close and personal, even if its in just the surrounding towns or across the world.

I'm as fit as I've ever been, but am just having the hardest time getting motivated and setting aside the time to even do 20 miles. I'm planning on a flat century (FCOE) in September and a 300 mile bike benefit across Israel in October, so I really do need to get in the saddle and get some serious miles under my bum.

Nothing is preventing me from riding...I just seem to have lost the spark and this scares me. Has this ever happened to you and what did you do about it?

hi guys maybe anyone out there could help Im from Miami Florida started cycling about 10 months now and im in love with the sport. Just one problem severe quad cramps does not happen when im riding just when i take time off the bike say 4 to 6 days off the bike. They get so bad that my quads start to cramp when I walk try to go for a run or try to get back on the bike. Has anyone gone thru this. I need some suggestions or help. thanks

susan508 said:
I'm Susan from the MetroWest Boston area. I've been biking for the past 18 years and tend to take a supported active biking vacation almost every year. Between these trips, I cycle 20-40 miles at a time (40 rarely) from May thru early November. I don't like to bike in bad weather. I do spin all winter to stay in shape.

Its not about the bike. Mine is 4 years old and it's a mid-level Trek road bike, I don't even know or care what the model is.

It is about seeing the world up close and personal, even if its in just the surrounding towns or across the world.

I'm as fit as I've ever been, but am just having the hardest time getting motivated and setting aside the time to even do 20 miles. I'm planning on a flat century (FCOE) in September and a 300 mile bike benefit across Israel in October, so I really do need to get in the saddle and get some serious miles under my bum.

Nothing is preventing me from riding...I just seem to have lost the spark and this scares me. Has this ever happened to you and what did you do about it?

Hey Susan, welcome !!

You know how to get that spark back ??

Just think of the beautiful winter weather we always get here, and remind yourself that it's coming faster than you think :). The salt, the sand, the freezing winds that take your breath right out of you..... aaahhh, wonderful ! lol.

Where abouts in MertoWest are you ?

Chapin said:
hi guys maybe anyone out there could help Im from Miami Florida started cycling about 10 months now and im in love with the sport. Just one problem severe quad cramps does not happen when im riding just when i take time off the bike say 4 to 6 days off the bike. They get so bad that my quads start to cramp when I walk try to go for a run or try to get back on the bike. Has anyone gone thru this. I need some suggestions or help. thanks

Hey Chapin, welcome. Here are my options.

1.Try to drink lots of water on your rides, and even throughout the day when you're not riding.

2. If you can, get a bike fit.

3.If your schedule allows, try to take no more than 1 or 2 days off.

4. When you ride, don't overdo it, pace yourself with distance and intensity.

5. Always stretch out AFTER your rides.

6. Again, drink lots of H2O. Dehydration is a huge cramp instigator.

Good luck.
-Greg

My name is Eduardo, I'm Peruvian but I moved to Arlington, Virginia over 4 years ago. I'm 20, a sophomore in college (studying Marketing), and I recently got a schwinn suburban bike to ride to class (apparently it's faster than commuting).

I'm really new to cycling but so far I'm really enjoying it =D I went on a short ride today to get familiar with the bike and the roads I'll be taking soon, and ended up making quite a few wrong turns and turning a 10 mile trip into a 16 mile one - but I have to say, I've never had this much fun while being lost.

I have to admit by the time I got home I was exhausted (the fact that I was wearing jeans didn't help much), but I'm really hoping I can get adept enough at this whole cycling stuff to go on long trips just for leisure (I'm thinking 200, 300 miles) without passing out in the middle of the road =P

Anyways, I hope I get to hear from (any of) you soon! Take care!