Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. franklen

franklen New Member

I have been reading posts here for awhile now, and contributing some too, but haven't introduced myself I dont think. I'm a young 30-something in Harrisburg, PA (state capitol), and when I moved to the metro area here for a job (Programs Coordinator for statewide watersheds and rivers non-profit), I took the opportunity to start commuting by bicycle. Its about 4-5 miles depending on my route. Been doing so since late March, and have been keeping an on-line journal (blog) about it since June (www.bicyclecommutingnow.blogspot.com). I've learned alot here so far and hope to learn more to come. Since I know no other bike commuters here yet, this is my biking community (though my LBSs have been fairly helpful when I have questions on certain things, I give them a 3 out of 5 stars for service selection, a 2 out of 5 stars for knowledge of commuting needs and issues, one didn't even have fenders in stock). Thanks.

2. kathybeast

kathybeast New Member

I'm from the Houston Texas area. I ride about 4,500 miles a year, I'm a registered nurse working part time in a cardiovascular ICU in the Houston medical center and am in grad school full time.

3. larry barr

larry barr New Member

When do you sleep?:)

4. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

What gives? What is wrong with our fair country?

5. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

Peterwall

I too got into cycling while living in Perth (now on the east coast). I bought my first bike from Bikeforce (Sth Perth) and have not looked back since. How is the riding in Adelaide? It must get pretty tempting to ride up to the Adelaide Hills/McLaren Vale every weekend for some vino tasting. I guess Hahndorf would be a good ride too (plenty of hills) with a stop of at a local pub!

6. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Absolutely nothing is wrong with your country. It is me. I bitch about immigrants in my country. So if I moved to Aussie land, that would make me an immigrant. Even if we are all part of Commonwealth.....

Memph

7. MBrazao

MBrazao New Member

I'm from Brazil (south america), and have been out of my bike for a year since my triplets were born! i said a full year with no pedal stoke at all! that is driving me crazy, but i'm planning a come back since the kids are growing and it seems i'll have some of my time back! Anyone with kids to help?

8. dasaint

dasaint New Member

Well I one thing I like being in Manila I just took a nice am ride and it's a 22 C temperature. hehehe

9. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

Jeez, you'd get crucified for having that view here - even though in some cases you may have a point.

10. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I love my country and shall have to deal with the short riding seasons. The dreams of riding year round shall have to stay as dreams......

Memph

11. yayaya

yayaya New Member

What?! I thought you were hardcore... You gonna let weather stop ya???

12. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Am hardcore, just no one in TO seems to be. I don't get the enjoyment of the chase when all are in their warm homes scared.. The snow and -30C weather shall keep me in when it does hit.

Missed last half of work today due to awesome sunny warm weather....

Memph

13. adamholck

adamholck New Member

I live in minneapolis USA. I own a consulting firm and a nude cleaning company. Owning my own business gives me lots of spare time for riding. My goal is to become pro by the time I'm 26.

14. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

Nude cleaning company - conjures up some rather interesting pictures. What gives?

15. yayaya

yayaya New Member

Im not talking about everyone in TO...just you..

[/QUOTE] I don't get the enjoyment of the chase when all are in their warm homes scared.. [/QUOTE]

Since your not riding year round as you stated before does that mean your at your warm home scard too???

[/QUOTE] Missed last half of work today due to awesome sunny warm weather....[/QUOTE]

Its easy to be motivated when its sunny and warm..Hardcore is doing it when nobody else would.

16. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

How old are you now? Do you race now? What level are you at? Good luck, then again a pro in America is far less then a pro in Europe...

Memph

17. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I don't get the enjoyment of the chase when all are in their warm homes scared.. [/QUOTE]

Since your not riding year round as you stated before does that mean your at your warm home scard too???

[/QUOTE] Missed last half of work today due to awesome sunny warm weather....[/QUOTE]

Its easy to be motivated when its sunny and warm..Hardcore is doing it when nobody else would. [/QUOTE]

I ride everyday of the year, either out or in. Out as many days as humanly possible. Most mornings I wak at 3:30am to train before work. Sorry if when the roads are covered with ice & snow & temps with windchill are -40C that I can't ride outside. I do still ride & commute to work in sub-zero temps. Do not see anyone else out. You would either cry or just give up and head into to a warmer temp. If this is not hardcore, then plz tell what is???

Memph

18. yayaya

yayaya New Member

I ride everyday of the year, either out or in. Out as many days as humanly possible. Most mornings I wak at 3:30am to train before work. Sorry if when the roads are covered with ice & snow & temps with windchill are -40C that I can't ride outside. I do still ride & commute to work in sub-zero temps. Do not see anyone else out. You would either cry or just give up and head into to a warmer temp. If this is not hardcore, then plz tell what is???

Memph [/QUOTE]

I never questioned wheter you ride everyday, just wheter you ride outside everyday, as you said "The dreams of riding year round shall have to stay as dreams......" So do you ride year round or not..first its a dream then your telling me you do ride year round, now I question wheter you ride everyday.. You wake at 3:30am, what time do you have to be at work? Granted where I live we dont see much snow at all, however I have ridden in the snow and would do so again, note it was on a cyclecross bike. Good for you that you ride to work..I applaude you, good job. As far as your comment about me"You would either cry or just give up and head into a warmer tem" Do you know me at all, do you have any clue as to what I would really do...no you dont..but ill give you a LITTLE insight...Ive done a double century, thats 200 miles or 321.8 km in below freezing temps..just a little insight. Yeah what you do is kinda hardcore...borderine silly...are you training for the Tour de France...but wait your in Canada...and your probably not pro....so that would make you not capable of hanging with the American pros much less Euro pros...and no I couldnt hang with the top American pros either..so dont feel bad.

19. yayaya

yayaya New Member

...waits for evil retort from Memp...:D

20. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I never questioned wheter you ride everyday, just wheter you ride outside everyday, as you said "The dreams of riding year round shall have to stay as dreams......" So do you ride year round or not..first its a dream then your telling me you do ride year round, now I question wheter you ride everyday.. You wake at 3:30am, what time do you have to be at work? Granted where I live we dont see much snow at all, however I have ridden in the snow and would do so again, note it was on a cyclecross bike. Good for you that you ride to work..I applaude you, good job. As far as your comment about me"You would either cry or just give up and head into a warmer tem" Do you know me at all, do you have any clue as to what I would really do...no you dont..but ill give you a LITTLE insight...Ive done a double century, thats 200 miles or 321.8 km in below freezing temps..just a little insight. Yeah what you do is kinda hardcore...borderine silly...are you training for the Tour de France...but wait your in Canada...and your probably not pro....so that would make you not capable of hanging with the American pros much less Euro pros...and no I couldnt hang with the top American pros either..so dont feel bad. [/QUOTE]

When I made my statement about dreams. It was made thinking of riding year round with shorts, jersey, and enjoying it. Not riding outside with three layers on looking like a marshmellow and hating it.

I train from 4-8ish am, home shower, off to work for 9am (15 min ride to work). Home by 8pm most nights. No, not training for TdF (maybe RAAM, which I consider more differcult a race), but for a comeback into racing.

My riding takes me outside as much as humanly possible on a road bike with 20mm tires. This is Canada an the weather in my location shall keep inside soon. Then the boring wind/rollers begin. Where I use to live on the other side of Canada. Years ago was
    able to train outside over 500 straight days. That was then and a better climate.

You are correct, I know little about you, as you know little about me. I may be crazy for continueing my outside riding now, but that is what drives me.....

Memph