Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. trebs333

trebs333 New Member

Hi, I'm from Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. I'm a self employed Carpenter/Handyman/Toymaker.I'm 54 years old. I haven't been on a bike for about 35 years. I was very competitive in my youth, and did Track and Road. Represented Rhodesia(now Zimbabwe) in 1974 on the Track at the South African Champs. It was a much simpler cleaner era then! My 17 year old son has progressed into competitive Mountain Biking, and is improving nicely. I've been helping with his training a bit. I've also been riding his old Mountain Bike and the bugs bitten me big time. I used to smoke, but gave up About 27 years ago. I run about 5 kms 1-2 times a week, and do a high rep low weight workout in a small home built gym I need help for myself and my Son Nathan with training. The Technical abreviations have me stumped. We have no High Tech Gadgets or Gizmos. My Son has a new KARAKORAM GT bike, but cash is a problem so we have to be very careful how we spend our money. Although self employed the past year has been tough as a year ago I was diagnosed with C-PTSD and Severe Depression. So been out of action. The Psychologist prescribed lots of cardio exercise for me, especially with my Son, because our relationship wasn't the best in the past. But when we involved in the whole Cycling thing it's GREAT. Also any advice on how to make/mix our own electrolite replacement drinks/energy drinks, diet requirements for a 17 year old competing. Also would a man of my age be able to get fit enough to compete? Sorry about so much info and questions. Regards from SA.

2. jpietrella

jpietrella New Member

hey all,
    I Live here Ct, and work for a craft brewery Harpoon, in Boston MA. I just started road biking for about 9 months now...and haven't gotten off the saddle since. I'm going to be riding the Harpoon P2P in VT, and the B2B, riding from Boston, Ma to Windsor VT this year, as well as a few more century's. I'm on here to learn as much as i can about every aspect of the sport.

Cheers,

Jared

3. Antan1

Antan1 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum only joined a few days ago.
    I'm English but have lived in Southern Spain for the last ten years, married with one son who lives with us here, semi-retired joiner spending my time on the upkeep of my house, reading and cycling.
    I own a Cannondale SL4 MTB which I ride road and track two days a week and a Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 which I ride a couple of days a week.
    The climate and countryside around here is ideally suited for cycling apart from mid summer when it can reach 40c midday, when you have to get up early to get back before it gets to hot.
    There are loads of great tracks to ride with great scenery, on road the roads are reasonably quite compared to other areas of Spain.
    Bye for now
    Rob.

4. rollinmusic

rollinmusic New Member

yeah Wow not too many Americans here Lucky I'm one of them here in Michigan- southern Michigan not too many hills, mountains here some hills but not bad. Right now I'm a DJ for lildevilradio.net I also just out of college I am a Cert. Medical Asst. still lookin for a job- hard to find here in the US so I have alot of hobbies that don't pay anything but I sure have fun doing them. cycling is one of them just moved form Alabama to here in Michigan and not an hour ago ordered a GMC Denali road bike online it had real good reviews for a bike under 200 cant buy a Cannondale or anything of the sort without a job so gotta settle with the funds I got. might even post some pics of it for ya out here

5. miah1999

miah1999 New Member

6. NoodleArms

NoodleArms New Member

Hi there - was originally born in Texas, moved to NJ when I was 12, have lived in San Francisco briefly (would love to go back), currently in Brooklyn, NYC. I am a full time admin at an investment bank here, and also a part time student nurse. busy busy!

7. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Make sure you enjoy some of our superb bike racing action, both in Prospect Park and out at Floyd Bennet Field before you let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

PS please ignore my sense of humor if it offends. I originally moved to Brooklyn with plans to go back somewhere else too. That was 20+ years ago. Welcome... to the forums, and to Brooklyn!

8. San Remo GT

San Remo GT New Member

I now live in Chicago. I use my bike to cycle to and from Mcdonalds and burger king mostly but sometimes I just like to get out for a bit. I dont get how people are doing massive distances, 7 miles is enough for me although I can do 10 miles but it dam near kills me.

9. pgmac123

pgmac123 New Member

Hi, I'm from Manila Philippines. Just started biking recently and I'm enjoying the sport. I'm here to find out more about cycling. Hoping to learn more from you guys.

10. GaryBPT

GaryBPT New Member

Hey guys!

I'm the Managing Director of my own company here in the UK named G-Rex Fitness. I've been a personal trainer for the past 7 years, but I do more corporate consultancy work these days. I've just started my own outdoor fitness class side of the business within the inner cities, and I host an annual charity event named the Great Yorkshire Stairclimb for the Yorkshire Cancer Centre.

I love my cycling, relatively new to the sport, but completely hooked! I average around 40 miles per week at the moment, but when I get my bike repaired I'll be increasing this dramatically. I'm currently in the planning process of my own little expedition, I'm cycling the east coast of Australia in August 2016. I've chosen such a far away date because I need time to plan and to save. If anyone fancies getting involved please do let me know, and for all you Aussies out there, I'd love for you and your cycle groups to do some rides with me on the trip /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Gary

11. Tralala

Tralala New Member

I Croation living States here. Come here for school and love. School worth it, love not :( I stay though in new land- I near Philladelphi now.

12. Monday Magic

Monday Magic New Member

Hi all, I'm Lou from New Jersey. I am usually in the tropical fish business, mostly wholesale but right now I'm between jobs. Hope to learn the finer points of cycling here.

13. Tralala

Tralala New Member

14. chuck68429

chuck68429 New Member

Hello bicycle forum, My name is chuck and I live in Hampton Va. I am an HVAC Controls Technician. I started riding again last year, after a 10 year break. I ride an old ( vintage ? ) 1996 Mongoose Hardtail with several upgrades( RST Capa front fork, V- brakes, Bontraeger tires Etc.). I ride light XC and road/ trail. I'm really glad to be back!! I look forward to talking to all of you. Thanks!!!!

15. rubberfish

rubberfish New Member

Hello. Bob here from Langley B.C.
    Truck driver during the day and a dad and husband eve and weekends.
    Get a drive in in the morning and a 28 km ride home in the afternoon.

16. Jenniferawhile

Jenniferawhile New Member

I just moved to Tucson, Ariz and coming from Miami, FL. I was a bike commuter in Miami where there are no bike lanes and I am loving Tucson where there are bike lanes everywhere and where motorists respect cyclists....although a number of Tusconians would disagree with me.

17. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Congrats. I lived there 8 years and loved it. I didn't have an issue with many drivers at all. Tucson drivers are several orders of magnitude better than the idiots that drive cars in Ohio. Here's a short to-do list for living in Tucson:
    1. Ride up Kitt Peak.
    2. Ride up Madera Canyon.
    3. Ride up Mt Lemmon.
    4. Ride Gates Pass--both directions--regularly.
    5. Ride up A-Mountain regularly.
    6. Ride the McCain Loop regularly.
    7. Ride the loop around Saguaro Nat'l Park East regularly.
    8. Eat at El Charo's downtown.
    9. Eat at Cafe Poca Cosa downtown.
    10. See movies at the Fox theater.
    11. See bands play at the Rialto.
    12. Regularly attend Geeks who Drink at one of its locations around town.
    13. Watch roller derby at the TCC.
    14. Look up at all the stars (doubly cool with night vision goggles).
    15. Get beer, pizza, and beer at 1702.
    16. Get used to how dark the city is at night.
    17. Ride a lot.
    Have fun.

18. ash whitey

ash whitey New Member

My names ash. I'm from huntingdale in perth Looking to find a Riding group somewhere. New to the whole seen of cycling. (Used to having a motor on it)

19. PinarelloPimpin

PinarelloPimpin New Member

What's up, good people?

My name is Shawn...and I'm a licensed Funeral Director in Gainesville, Florida. Just started road cycling...upgraded from a full-suspension mt. bike to Pinarello - major difference! I'm here to learn...so, I'll be asking questions!

20. dayviebone

dayviebone New Member

Hello! My name is, Dave. I'm an RN on a CV surgery ICU at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Originally From Marquette, MI. Live for my days off to put the hours in on the bike! Currently ride a 2012 Trek Madone 4.5 with many upgrades. Been a member since 2010 but am just becoming active.