Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

CPA I like your style!

BTW I am 6'3 and 105kg's (ex-rugby forward). Not a mountain goat either but get me on a flat and I am hard to catch. Thats why I love riding in Perth so much (except when the 'doctor comes in). My oldies have a place in Sth Perth so it's easy to get on the long rides south and north.

Good luck with the Aussie Rules, which club?

My Grandad played for West Perth a long time ago.

2. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

I know I could look it up in an instant on the 'net but I am going to go with my instincts here as say HMAS Bunbury is a Patrol Boat.

Am I right?

I have a really good mate on one of the Collins class based at Stirling.

I appreciate anyone who is out there getting dirty making sure we can live the life we want to.

3. Jade

Jade New Member

OIC.
    So any person in any other profession who tells what they do on a thread that specifically asks what we do is just telling it as it is... But if an exotic dancer tells what she does, she is "advertising"??? LMBO
    I suppose that means equality only applies to those with a so-called "real" job. It's a darn good thing I didnt tell you what I do now. ;)

I have worked at everything from waitressing to being a high end executive. At times in my life I worked three jobs at a time still struggling to make ends meet and with no time for a life. What I have learned is to find something you enjoy doing and are good at and then find a way to make money doing it. In the end... Image is worthless. Living is everything.

But please explain to me the contradiction between the pic and telling what I used to do for a living. It would seem they are more corroborative than contradictory, even as tame as it is. Oh well... nevermind... like I said, "Judge me as you will". I'm used to people who do not understand.

4. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I can care little about what you use to do as a job. That had nothing for me to do with that pic. Great for you thatyou made out of stripping (opps, exotic dancing) in one piece. My friend was not so lucky before she left.

Just the pic (which you lQQked goood in) in my opinion was not cycling stuff. Hey this is my opinion.....

Memph

5. cpa

cpa New Member

LMAO !.....
    I've seen better looking SADDLE-SORES !

6. cpa

cpa New Member

Yay,....... another 'big fella' !
    'The Doctor' was well and truly in this afternoon.
    Annoys me most of the time.... I ride (to work) into an easterly in the mornings, and by the afternoon, the sea-breeze is in and I'm headlong into that as well on the way home.

I agree with the weight thing. When I was playing footy I was 104kg at my 'bulkiest' (but very lean - that weight was about the best compromise I could get to be v.strong, yet still maintain good agility). I'm down to 97kg now, and think there'll be a couple more kilo's in it. Concentrating on climbing now. I too fly on the flats, but really want to get some credibility on the inclines.... I'm getting there. But as I've said before... never gonna be a mountain goat.... the wife won't let me lose any more of the upper body !

Oh, the Footy's finished since I did my right knee (ACL) last year.
    Played A/B grade in the WAAFL. Miss it like hell, but the new bike's taking my mind off it !

7. generalxue

generalxue New Member

Ok, here it is:

I know I'm not the only one who rides my bike on the pavement and is fed up with people shouting at me in the street. I used to feel guilty for riding on the pavement, but now I have changed my mind. I got hit by a car pulling out of a car park, at slow speed, and it buckled my wheel and badly hurt my leg. That's at about 5mph - imagine what would have happened had the car been doing 30mph! We all know the answer to that. I saw a boy get hospitalised outside my house when he was knocked off his bike.

So, nowadays, I take the pavement as the place to ride, and when people shout at me, I ask them politely if they have ever been hit by a car..

As far as I'm concerned, it contradicts my rights to be forced (by the law) to ride in the road, and that includes those ridiculous 'cycle lanes' which are just lines painted by the side of the road (How do they make any difference?). It contradicts my right to a safe journey, and to keep myself alive.

People say that is dangerous to pedestrians to ride on the pavement. Fair enough, it can be dangerous if some nutter runs over your little kid, but how many people have been killed (or even seriously injured) by a bike on the pavement. Not many, I should think, whereas the death toll for cyclists on the road is much higher.

Therefore, it makes no sense that cyclists should have to be shoved into the road and even fined for simply doing what is right (riding where the least death can be caused).

I propose that the law be changed so that cyclists are allowed to ride on the pavement wherever there is one, unless, in the same road, there is a cycle lane that is separated from the road by a curb.

Thank you for listening,

Dean Wybrow

If you agree with what I have said, post a reply and/or send me an email ([email protected]) and let me know, and perhaps we can get the law changed. It is possible! If we get enough people, I should be able to organise a protest or something.

Please feel free to use what I have written in a letter to your local MP or to a newspaper, just put it in quotation marks and put my name after it. Thanks.

Please join the fight for your rights. This affects you all. You do not want to wake up one day under the wheels of car..do for practice? 8) [/B][/QUOTE]

8. wadoflove

wadoflove New Member

Dean,

Lets assume for one post that you are not a driver with an agenda to get bikes off the road and answer your question seriously...

I think you are a little short sighted. Riding on the sidewalk is OK for kids under the age of 9 or 10 and adults over the age of 65 who are crawling along and/or not able to ride in a straight line. But who in their right mind would want to have some serious bikers riding along the sidewalk at 30-40km/h with people walking out of shops not watching where they're going etc? People have certainly been killed by speed differentials in the past. Two guys collided on a bike path in Toronto many years ago and one died (the other only had brain damage), granted they were both riding bikes. Furthermore, the sidewalks would have to be sufficiently wide and in good shape everywhere.

I have been riding for more than 20 years and have never been hit by a car, though I did ride into one that stopped unexpectedly in front of me when I was going around 25km/h. Your little accident obviously scared you but it is no reason to change the law. Bikes belong on the road or good quality bike lanes due to the speed they are moving relative to pedestrians and the fact that pedestrians can change direction or arrive from another direction unpredictably. There would be many dead old people and kids if everyone was forced to ride on sidewalks.

If you want to campaign for something reasonable campaign for the dutch system of bike lanes and giving bikers right of way over cars. That would make the most sense to me.

9. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Be a man & ride on the road. Unless you ride as slow as really old ppl & crawl along at a snail's pace. Then the sidewalk might be alright. But even the average cyclist speed is not acceptable for the ppl waking on sidewalks. This issue is also being debated with skateboards.

Can't handle the road. Then either get a mtb or get out of cycling. Seems like you can't handle it......

Memph

10. wadoflove

wadoflove New Member

Wow, the Mman and I actually almost agree on something! :confused:

11. dasaint

dasaint New Member

I pay the same taxes with those who use their car. So If I want to ride my bike on my road it's my right

12. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Yes we did. Except your reply was long winded & polite. Mine was right to the point...... :)

Memph

13. mark_in_maine

mark_in_maine New Member

I live in Maine, where the weather makes it difficult to ride a lot at this time of year. I ride on a trainer in the winter time, and when weather permits on the roads. I have done a couple of charity rides, but mostly ride just to keep fit. Last year I rode 2500 miles on the road.

14. James Cameron

James Cameron New Member

You got it. Darwin based patrol boat. Used to be Stirling WA. You never know, I may end up meeting your mate down the track. I hope to move to subs in a year or two. And it's not the biggest navy around either.
    Hope you all enjoy your riding. Was on the bike today, but go out on patrol tomorrow, and won't be back on the pushy until at least early January! It's going to hurt.
    Have a merry Christmas.

15. silly

silly New Member

Hello everyone!!
    I'm from Holland (18) and I am a big cycling-freak. My favourite cyclist is Vinokourov
    Hopefully I can have a lot of fun with you all in this forum.

xx Silly

16. cpa

cpa New Member

Welcome Silly !

I've got a friend called Billy, and he likes to ride when it's chilly and where it's hilly. Girls don't like him coz he's got a little willy..... and his favourite group was Milli Vanilli...........

Ever stuck your finger in a dyke ???? :D :D :D

Welcome !!!!

17. silly

silly New Member

hahaha thanx, nice rhyme!!

And no, I never stuck my finger in a dyke ;) I wonder how that would feel.....

18. bioguy

bioguy New Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Riding on the sidewalk is more dangerous than riding in the road. The only thing more dangerous than riding on the sidewalk is riding the wrong way on the road. Here's a good article that does risk assessment. http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/riskfactors.htm
    The problem isn't where we ride. The problem is ignorant motorists. It seems to me that the solution is to educate motorists. If they're too dumb to educate, ignore them. Just keep pedaling.

19. Fla. George

Fla. George New Member

Hi ya'll
    I'm in Florida USA. I ride my recumbent from 1 hour per day to 50 miles, depending on amount of time. Did 30 miler today 12-14-03 and was riding along the Atlantic ocean in Miami when a very shapely young woman in a flesh colored riding outfit, blew by me at about 20. We could see through her outfit. She wore no undies. This is a first since I started riding 4 years ago. Very slick.
    Peace to all who read this post & happy holidays,
    Fla George

20. Aussie cycler

Aussie cycler New Member

Sounds like a relation of Memph's. Do you have any southern cousins Memph?