Where are you from,what do you do?

I'm in Montreal Canada. I'm a former racer and club rider. Currently I'm working as free-lance writer, fishmonger and house renovator. Today it's 14 below celsius with a strong wind. Normally I cycle the 55k round trip to my work sites but during the winter the bike is hung up and I hitch up the huskies and take the dog-sled. If you don't have much snow where you live, count your blessings, or learn to enjoy skiing.

In place where I live is at the moment 10 c below 0 and I can only think about riding:rolleyes:

I from Kansas City, Missouri, originally, but I live in SLC, Utah, home of the 2002 Winter Olympics. I am a biologist and soil scientist working for environmental consulting firm. I do work in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, and Alaska.

I don't give much of a rip about my job, though. Always waiting for the next good ride. I have 3 bikes: an Orbea road bike, Gary Fisher Mt. Tam_29, and an old Bianchi San Remo I built into a commuter. Hence the phrase: All my bikes have 700c wheels.

Cheers,
James

Originally posted by jmcmillanut
I from Kansas City, Missouri, originally, but I live in SLC, Utah, home of the 2002 Winter Olympics. I am a biologist and soil scientist working for environmental consulting firm. I do work in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, and Alaska.

I don't give much of a rip about my job, though. Always waiting for the next good ride. I have 3 bikes: an Orbea road bike, Gary Fisher Mt. Tam_29, and an old Bianchi San Remo I built into a commuter. Hence the phrase: All my bikes have 700c wheels.

Cheers,
James

How is your Orbea? Was looking at one at my LBS. Have 2 bikes narrowed down, kinda, a Orbea or TCR1.....

Memph

WORK: Warehouseman

I ride yearround in temps from +40C to -35C. Riding in the cold

weather is not at all difficult with the correct gear.(Studded tires

and layered breathable clothing) Yes, a Crazy Canuck!!

Saskatoon is the biking capital of Canada with more bikers per

capita than any other Canadian city.My commute is 25km round

trip and is generally along trails, which in the summertime get

congested and dangerous.

Originally posted by fuzzcan

WORK: Warehouseman

I ride yearround in temps from +40C to -35C. Riding in the cold

weather is not at all difficult with the correct gear.(Studded tires

and layered breathable clothing) Yes, a Crazy Canuck!!

Saskatoon is the biking capital of Canada with more bikers per

capita than any other Canadian city.My commute is 25km round

trip and is generally along trails, which in the summertime get

congested and dangerous.

Geez!!! Riding year round in Saskatoon, it must be just about dark outside for both ends of your commute. ............byfred

Originally posted by byfred
Geez!!! Riding year round in Saskatoon, it must be just about dark outside for both ends of your commute. ............byfred
Fred, I leave at 7am still dark , leave work at 4:30 pm sun is still up. I use a MEC Nighthawk Headlight and in the back a red led pulsing light. I have noticed alot bikers who have no lights at all.

Originally posted by fuzzcan
Fred, I leave at 7am still dark , leave work at 4:30 pm sun is still up. I use a MEC Nighthawk Headlight and in the back a red led pulsing light. I have noticed alot bikers who have no lights at all.
May I call you Fuzzy? Anyway, my wife & I rode through your beautiful city, and Province, in '92. We had dinner at the Husky Station, right on a corner in town. Saskatchewan was such a great part of our trip, so clean and friendly. We loved all those bright yellow & blue fields. Rape Seed & Cronola (sp), I think we were told. It is such a privilege to be Canadian, don't you agree?..........byfred

The Husky station has been torn down in favor of a Hyundai dealership. The past two years our family has travelled as far as the Saugenay River in the east and Clayquot Sound in the West and all in between. Yes Canada is a beautiful and diverse in so many ways and being a Canadian is truly a privilege. Sounds like you do some long distance tripping, something I have never done. I do my tripping in my canoe with my wife and kids in Northern Saskatchewan,hopefully in Quetico sometime.

Hello Saskatoon rider! It's great you cycle year round - I did the same when living in Winnipeg, Manitoba. However Montreal is a different kettle of fish, with the cyclist sharing the road with the world's worst car drivers. Last August there was one week where six cyclists were killed by cars, and the holiday season toll for car drivers this last Christmas was 29 in Quebec. Riding a bike on winter's unplowed narrower roads is just too scary. By the way, today the temperature is minus 27 celsius, plus the wind-chill factor. I like the studded tyres, too - a snowmobile face mask and goggles are essential as well. Let's hope spring comes soon!

Originally posted by Guest
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)

Hi I am from Richmond, Va. I ride mostly Mountain bikes but I have just built up my first road bike!

Originally posted by cbchess
Hi I am from Richmond, Va. I ride mostly Mountain bikes but I have just built up my first road bike!

A lot of us Canadians have "Cabin Fever" these cold days so why don't you take a minute and tell us what you got on your Road Bike. Also, I see this is your first post, so WELCOME ABOARD, and I hope you enjoy your stay..........byfred

I'm relatively new to road cycling~ I spend much of my riding time (When it's a little warmer!) training for charity centuries. I'm ashamed to say I haven't been on a bike in well... a few months!

I'm a police officer (Detective) by profession... Gives a whole new meaning to chasing chicks! ;)

Hi. I'm back on my bike after two years of doing nothing. I used to do 30 miles every night, we'll have to see if I can get back to that. Currently riding a mountain bike with road tires for an hour every other night and looking for my first road bike.

I'm a software engineer with a software engineering job with one of the leading wireless networking companies.

I'm originally from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK and now from Alameda, California. Anywhere I go off the Island I either drive on the freeway or ride my bike through the free-fire-zone of Oakland (114 gun homicides in 2003, 113 in 2002 which is more than the entire UK). Fortunately the island is about 9 miles long, which will do for now, and has a lot of police and little crime. My commute is 50 miles so I don't see myself cycling to work in the near future. It's all negatives with me ;)

San Antonio, Texas

I'm a Database Analyst by day, at night I'm a 33yo Dad with a 3 yo and a 70-month-old. Somewhere in-between I try to ride -- occasionally bike-commuting to work.

I've only been riding since mid-year 2003, when I started training for the local MS-150 (San Antonio to Corpus Christi - roughly 150 miles in 2 days). I wound up doing most of my training at night by myself, but I did it nonetheless. I used my '97 Trek 830 XC rigid with slicks.

Currently I'm itching for a road bike -- leaning towards Specialized Allez Sport or Elite, Giant OCR 2, or Felt F70. I just haven't had a chance to test ride them at the stores yet.

Hi My name is Joe and I am a cronic bike freak ever since I was about 12!

Now I'm 30 I cycle a lot less and spend a lot more on kit. Booze and fags taking up most of my spare time.

WORK: I run on line broadband TV channels and recently just started up a new channel called www.cycle.tv We are always looking for content (rights free) and obviously viewers. So spread the word. It is the only FREE TV channel dedicated to cycling!!!!

See ya at the back of the pack

Joe