Where are you from,what do you do?

gripper said:
Hi
im from hartlepool in the north east of England(we hang monkeys) im a mechanicai engineer in the food inds,this is my first season in cycling taking part in 10 and 25 mile tts

It wasn't a monkey it was a French spy! :D

I'm Bob, 32, from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Working as a Admin Officer in Intellectual Property Corporation here in KL

I’m using a Norco Mountaineer SL (I dunno which year it was made, can anyone help me…it only state “Norco Mountaineer SL” on the frame,)

ride to work everyday (9miles) and I hate Malaysian traffickers.

I was raised on an island outside of Seattle, Washington. I spent a long time in the military, retired from it and relocated to Illinois. The riding isn't too bad out here in the sticks. :D

Gus Riley said:
I was raised on an island outside of Seattle, Washington. I spent a long time in the military, retired from it and relocated to Illinois. The riding isn't too bad out here in the sticks. :D
I'm from Dallas, Texas (Arlington, really but I'm guessing that more people can relate to Dallas). I am in the Financial Industry and am a budgeting/forecasting manager for a large financial institution. Just took this up about 1 month ago (my bike arrived on July 27th) and prior to that I was running and taking spin classes up at the gym. This is so much more fun. I did my first 50 mile ride last Sunday and had a blast...

I am a mid fifty's transplanted NYC'er living in Scottsdale. I manage a staff of about 30 Adjusters processing Medicare & Medicaid claims for the City of New York and the States of New Jeresy, Pennsylvania and Nebraska.

I ride an EZ Sport. Yes!, like many I am addicted.

Well, since I'm new here nothing like presenting myself!

I'm a 35 year old Portuguese guy and living in Lisboa!
I (re)started 2 years ago cycling regularly! I'm in the process of dumping the car and for now I commute 2/3 days a week, a 18km round trip, with almost no hills.
This is my bike! (I'll post more photos soon).
I've recently did my first tour, a 600+ km in 10 days (included a rest day) from Lisboa to Santiago de Compostela.

I work for a IT company in a EAI developing team.

I am 33 years old, live in Toronto, ON Canada, and am a charity fundraiser. I moonlight as a belly dancer in a U2 tribute band. I also take ballet classes (have for half my life) which is a good cross training with cycling I think.

I just got into cycling courtesy of my sweetie, cydewaze on this board, who got me a LeMond Reno that I love! So far, out of the 6 rides I've done, the longest is 72K...not too bad, right? :D I guess the next goal will be a "metric century".

Jessica

Guest said:
Wow, it would be great to hear a bit from the man himself. I doubt he would go online and reveal his real identity. Though, I hope he would since this forum is the most mature and responsible bunch I've come across.

Any of you know what his hour record is? I plan on beating it.
NOT! Hehe
Hi my name is chris, i live in wigan,UK i enjoy cycling mtb, road or track, i don't cycle half as much as i should but when the weather permits and the missus don't mind i have my course i ride. Since cycling is my only chosen mode of transport i do quite alot but i don't class it as training. I have recently started going to manchester velodrome, as a day out with the missus, i ride the track for an hour she shops for an hour or two afterwards, fair deal since being shopping means i can't ride so this is our agreement :)

ohh! 56.375 km. maybe we'll see some more at the revolution 23rd october, sounds like its to be a fun night out.

Guest said:
Hi All,
Just found this site and looking around.. I am from Ohio USA, network technican on third shift.. I am just a moderate rider and have joined the local cycle club to start riding more. My average is slow (14-15mph) and here there are lots of hills to climb..
With working night shift there are no rides in the mornings..
Is there anyone else that works nights and how do you get your riding in before going to work?? Thank you ???
i work nights in a warehouse i choose to ride to work its 5 miles away from where i live and i find myself riding agains the clock machine each day. its usually a case of grinding the big gears with plenty sprints to work, but on the way home i usually put it in the smaller gears and spin hopefully to improve my cadenance, i dont work wednesday so i spend time with the missus and spend an hour on the track, then sundays i go do 50+miles just to pass the time, since she thinks i'm misserable if i don't ride. but every few weeks she stops me from going on longer rides and says i have to stay in :) bless her

Guest said:
Hey why not put up Cyclingforums apparel (shirts, jerseys, shorts, caps, or socks) as the prize for participating? That would ROCK. I won a shirt, defeet socks, and a cycling cap from Roadbikereview a couple of months ago, they were SCHWEET. AND make a game out of it like posting the best joke, cycling tip, best looking rider and bike combination [pics uploaded to site?], best looking legs, etc. etc. That way it'd be fun ;D Just a suggestion :)

So most of you are from SA ey? I thought this was a dominantly Aussie board, guess I was wrong :p
yes! you could purchase some transfer paper and do youself a nice little advertisement for your cycling jersey for the next time you go ride.

My name is Fred. I'm a college student and I live in Toronto. I've only been seriously into bikes for 14 months. Last June/July I started riding offroad trails, and then started getting into bike trials. This summer I started working on an old junk road bike that I found, and have just gotten into road cycling. I will be using this bike for commuting to school this semester as well.

The name is Lonnie. I live in the small Town of Hinesburg in VT and I work as an IT Technician, for a small software development company. I've been riding bikes avidly since my Junior year of highschool. I ride as a hobby and to stay in shape. My bike is a Miata 312 12speed touring bike. I've owned it for many years and still enjoy riding it.

Hi!

Patrick from Singapore signing in. I've been on road bikes since '96 (1 Giant, 1 Galmod, 3 Eddy Merckxs) and only seriously started racing since '02.

Its a small island where I am and our amateur scene usually takes us up to Malaysia for their smaller races and the occasional training rides.

Currently I am with Ascender Racing Team and we are a purely self-funded interest group/team that help make the racing dream alive for the young ones over here.

Ride Safe,
Patrick
http://ascender.net

My name is Rocco and I'm a Helicopter pilot and I live in Tennessee. Started doing triathlons this year and really enjoyed the bike portion of the events, so I ride my bike with some friends on the weekend and my Tri bike during the week by myself (so I don't get used to the drafting too much)

My name is Nancy. I'm a 40 year old Mom of five (two college age, two H.S., and one dictator/toddler) with an Assoc. in Bio. I currently reside in Hudson Valley, NY-- not too far from West Point and Stewart Airforce Base-- [Ooo-rah! ] where the leaves are just beginning to change. Nothing like cycling the Northeast in the Autumn! Having no car right now, I usually get to the gym by either cycling back and forth or jogging the four and a half miles there and walking back. There's a 12 week fitness challenge that I'm hoping to win--the prize is a one-year membership. I also ride a unicycle occassionally, just to make sure I still can:) [One of my sub, sub goals in life is to be a unicycling granny. I just think that would be a funny thing for any grandkids I may have. ] Hoping to run my first race (a 10K) in October. That's all for now!
Nice to meet you all! :)

I'm from Oklahoma City. I'm a building services manager. I had ridden many years and many thousand miles, raced some, and then took a five year or so break from riding (A long story). I got back on in July and have about 600 mi. since, including doing my 14th Hotter N' Hell Hundred. I had forgotten how much riding meant to me. I have had many bikes but now am on a '98 or so Schwinn Mesa that is upgraded to all XT. :)

My name is Nancy. I'm a 40 year old Mom of five (two college age, two H.S., and one dictator/toddler) with an Assoc. in Bio. I currently reside in Hudson Valley, NY-- not too far from West Point and Stewart Airforce Base-- [Ooo-rah! ] where the leaves are just beginning to change. Nothing like cycling the Northeast in the Autumn! Having no car right now, I usually get to the gym by either cycling back and forth or jogging the four and a half miles there and walking back. There's a 12 week fitness challenge that I'm hoping to win--the prize is a one-year membership. I also ride a unicycle occassionally, just to make sure I still can:) [One of my sub, sub goals in life is to be a unicycling granny. I just think that would be a funny thing for any grandkids I may have. ] Hoping to run my first race (a 10K) in October. That's all for now!
Nice to meet you all! :)

Hi Nancy,

I know, I would have loved a unicycling granny :D

What is the fitness challenge about?

Regards, Mads.

Hi! The fitness challenge is through my gym. It started about 6 weeks ago and runs for 6 more weeks. They took our measurements, calculated body fat, and took photo's. At the end of the 12 weeks they'll do it all again. The judges are the owner and some of the trainers. If they determine I imrpoved my fitness best overall, I get a year free at the gym! I don't know who my competition is but wish I did. (I could offer them donuts! JK!) They had mentioned wanting to do a mid-challenge check-in and interview but I haven't heard anything. I thought maybe then I'd find out who the other participants are.

Hi, my name's Bob and I've just gotten back into cycling thanks to OLN's coverage of TdF (like many, I'm sure.;) ) I put road tires on my mountain bike, and have done about 215 road miles on it in the last month. I'm getting fitted at my LBS this week, likely for a Trek 1500.

Given the state of my mountain bike (seriously untrue wheels, rubbing brakes, fat tires, lots of friction, etc.) I can't wait to get on a road bike and feel the difference! I average about 17mph for a 25 mile ride on the mountain bike, including some short (.6 mile) but steep climbs, and figure I've just GOT to be faster on a decent ride. :D

I'm 36, live in Littleton, Colorado, and work as a Director of Web Development. I intend to enter some races as soon as I get my mileage up a bit (work prevents me from riding as often as I'd like to.)

This is a great board, very informative, and I'm glad to have found it.
B

Oh, and my name refers to how I tend to overdo things, not my drinking habits. (necessarily) ;)

Binge said:
Hi, my name's Bob and I've just gotten back into cycling thanks to OLN's coverage of TdF (like many, I'm sure.;) ) I put road tires on my mountain bike, and have done about 215 road miles on it in the last month. I'm getting fitted at my LBS this week, likely for a Trek 1500.

Given the state of my mountain bike (seriously untrue wheels, rubbing brakes, fat tires, lots of friction, etc.) I can't wait to get on a road bike and feel the difference! I average about 17mph for a 25 mile ride on the mountain bike, including some short (.6 mile) but steep climbs, and figure I've just GOT to be faster on a decent ride. :D

I'm 36, live in Littleton, Colorado, and work as a Director of Web Development. I intend to enter some races as soon as I get my mileage up a bit (work prevents me from riding as often as I'd like to.)

This is a great board, very informative, and I'm glad to have found it.
B

Oh, and my name refers to how I tend to overdo things, not my drinking habits. (necessarily) ;)
Hi Bob.

Now, I don't know how far away from home your work is and how the traffic is and so on.. but I work a lot as well (web programming) and have a family.. but I commute to and from work all year round.. and that builds my ground form... might be an idea. We have a shower at work :p