Where are you from,what do you do?

Altweg, I'm also constantly logged on to this BB and sometimes there is no traffic at all. I think the problem on your side is that most of us are South African and therefore we post while you sleep.

;D Good Morning All!

I see there has been some movement since yesterday. Sorry to all those overseas people who find this site quiet - you are awake and ready for action, and then none of us are around :'(
The upside is, you get to read what we've been up to in your absence, and vice versa! ;)
It's the time difference thing... :(

Some people are commenting that traffic is little on here. Being the eternal optimist, I would add that rather less people of quality and with information to share, than countless people who make it busy, but with no value.

Admin - ;D I laughed at your reasons for putting up those competitions, to get those lurking to put fingers to keyboard! 8)

To the South African's online, what's on the agenda today? ::)

Hey why not put up Cyclingforums apparel (shirts, jerseys, shorts, caps, or socks) as the prize for participating? That would ROCK. I won a shirt, defeet socks, and a cycling cap from Roadbikereview a couple of months ago, they were SCHWEET. AND make a game out of it like posting the best joke, cycling tip, best looking rider and bike combination [pics uploaded to site?], best looking legs, etc. etc. That way it'd be fun ;D Just a suggestion :)

So most of you are from SA ey? I thought this was a dominantly Aussie board, guess I was wrong :p

Good morning Elsa!

I totally agree with you about having less posters, but having less crappy posts too. Not that my posts are informative :p.......

alttweg said;BTW, he told me that a lot of the pros train there (Australia) during winter. Any of you guys get to ride with Zabel, Armstrong etc.?

oh yes they where the 2 slow coaches that where racing when i passed them on my training ride ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) ::)

Haha! ;D

Speaking of passing the pros. This guy in another messageboard I visit usually passes Raymond Poulidor during his training rides. This guy (the poster) somehow feels he is doing soething wrong by passing a great pro who happens to be slow at 60 +(?) years of age.

If I were him, I'd match Poulidor's pace and ask him to tell me stories about racing in the old days.

That's it for today, work's done and I'm heading home! ;D

Gosh! I've almost had the same experience, I passed a pro a couple of years ago on a training ride in the mountains. It was an embarassing feeling, I almost apologized for passing him! We ended up doing 4h together, he bought me coffee and sandwich and gave me a lot of good advice on how to train....very friendly guy!

Altwegg & Prolinx - next time you pass these pros on your training rides... send them to South Africa! Johannesburg!!! Apparently Ulrich & Cipolini were here in December training in Cape Town! I was nowhere near at the time :'(
Especially Lance Armstrong - we want Lance. we want Lance. we want Lance!!! ::) ::) ;D :)

Hi there all. So when are you Aussie lads coming over to SA to check it out? Would probably be worth your while. Anway, it is probably really affordable right now too.

i dont want to sound like a fishwife :p but all you new members tell us about yourself. ;D

Ok,ok...Deroyo here,from Ottawa,Ontario,Canada,I ride a MTB Kona Blast(2000) I have been riding for 5years now and I take my riding seriously...I have never been in a race,but I'm at the level where this is not a sport,it's a way of living!!!
The rest of the time I'm a sound technician(sound console operator)I work in a theatrical complex,we have four venues in this complex,a 3000 seater Opera Hall,a 1000 seater theatre, a 300 seater experimental theatre and a 150 seater variety hall.I also work on rock shows,da BIG CIRCUIT,Aerosmith,John Cougar Mellencamp,The Rolling Stones are just a few bands that I have had the pleasure of working for.
So there I think that covers the two questions that were ask.
Some extra...I fluently speak french and english (english being my second language)I'm 41,YES that old...and I can still kick some younger guy's butt on a bike :pso don't discard me 'cos of my age 8)!!!

Wow, that sounds like one cool job you got yourself there! 8)
Do you actually MEET the stars themselves?

As my name tag says, I'm an old timer, now age 72. Used to be a time trial addict in the UK back in the 1950s. ;D Took to skydiving in the 1960s 1970s. Came to South Africa in 1968. Broke a few bones.:'( Had brain surgery to remove a tumour in 1983.:'( Got back on the bike to enjoy what I thought was left of my life. Got re-addicted. Two years ago had open heart surgery (double bypass).:'( Riding the bike to keep fit and OUT of hospital I got involved with a car last October.:'( Fractured pelvis in 3 places and right arm below elbow. Happened 100 metres from the FINISH line of the Westcon 105km, can you believe!:mad: (See seperate posting on "Marshalling". ) Back on the bike although Orthopod says not to ride until I see him next Tuesday for the OK. Body says it'll be OK! (Yeah. I'm listening, Body!).;D

I split my time between MTB and road. Try to do about six of the bigger road races in the year. I'm entered for the Argus and want to do the Tour D'Urban in April. (When are the Durban entries opening?)
May do the Cormorant if ready in time???(very hard ride I'm told?)

For training I aim at 3 x 60km rides at 65 - 80% HR max on a hilly route (either MTB or road). Alternate days 45 -60 minutes at 80% plus, again either MTB or road on a hard hilly route. My theory is that it is time in the saddle that matters rather than actual km. Alternating between bikes gives variety.

Best ride last year was 4h:06 in the Sun City CANSA. So far this year (3 weeks) I've done 498km on both bikes. Today, Saturday, rest day.

Wow! I take my hat off to you, and I mean it sincerely!
I would love to still be on the bike when I hit 72! You are a true inspiration!
I used to do skydiving aswell - at the Freefall Factory in Potch! Man, I loved it. Its the closest I've ever been to total freedom! But I started becoming ruthless in the air by trying to push the envelope too far - I would turn 5 sec freefalls into 8 sec freefalls, and 10 sec falls into 15 sec falls! Ahh, those were the days my friend!

John, I would love to meet you at the Argus! What time are you aiming for?
The Kormorant is difinitely on my list of rides. I enjoy those type of races. Hard and tough!

Hey, VO2, take it easy with the "inspiration" part. Age is a state of mind, and that's not a cliche. I meet some people 20 years younger than me who are "old", and some much older than me who are "young", if you know what I'm saying? And cycling in South Africa is a great leveller and a great fraternity. I get accepted everywhere on my bike without age being a factor. Of course, I'm realistic, no amount of training will ever turn me into a teenager again! But that doesn't stop me FEELING like a teenager once I'm on the bike! ;D

Yes, skydiving is also a great if unforgiving sport. I started around 1960 in the UK using s/h military equipment when none of us really knew too much about what were doing! I suppose you could say we were at the cutting edge of the sport in those days. I used to jump here in SA at Vereeniging with the then SA Skydiving Club. Then I ended my career in 1972 by collapsing my chute at about 50 feet (which permanently collapsed the arch of my left foot!). :'( Anyhow I've since found that a PLF (parachute landing fall) very useful in the odd involuntary dismount on the MTB! A "side right" still comes back without thinking! ;)

The Argus! Ah, officially I'm saying the aim is to simply to finish in good order! Secretly, (well it's posted on the fridge door!), then 5:00 or a few minutes under will satisfy me. Much less will be cause for a big celebration! ;D I'll be going down by road with a group and will be staying close to the start.

Well Old timer,my helmet is off for you!!! 8)
I know exactly what you mean when you say that age is a state of mind...I'm actualy 16 years old stuck in a 41 years old body... ;)
I think the closest I've been to such freedom is in a glidder,soaring like an eagle,what a rush!!!
8) 8) 8)...

:) Old Timer - I also take my helmet off to you! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, and sorry to hear about all the tough times you've gone through, but also thrilled to hear how you have overcome so much, and continue to have a passion for cycling! :)

If your body says so, I hope your doctor will also give you the green light, and we'll look forward to meeting you at the Argus! ;D

Yes, skydiving is also a great if unforgiving sport. I started around 1960 in the UK using s/h military equipment when none of us really knew too much about what were doing! I suppose you could say we were at the cutting edge of the sport in those days.  I used to jump here in SA at Vereeniging with the then SA Skydiving Club. Then I ended my career in 1972 by collapsing my chute at about 50 feet (which permanently collapsed the arch of my left foot!). :'( Anyhow I've since found that a PLF (parachute landing fall) very useful in the odd involuntary dismount on the MTB! A "side right" still comes back without thinking! ;)

I once tried to impress a group of static-liner students by landing right in front of them while they were attending lessons. My plan was to drift out abit, then fly back and come in low over a mealie field, cross the runway and land perfectly infront of my screaming fans! I decided in all my egotistical wisdom to go against the laws of flight and turn with the wind once I was over the mealie field. The chute immediately collapsed and I went screaming into the runway! The wind then inflated the chute back again and dragged me across the runway for about 20 meters. Any exposed skin prior to the crash landing was missing. My jumpsuit was ruined. And my ego seriously deflated. ::)
Ah, those were the days my friend!

Old timer, Way to go ;D

Deroyo , because of your job have you ever met two of my favourite bands from Canada. The first is Rush excellent old stuff, and the second are The Cowboy Junkies.

Yes, I do have a wide musical taste as you can tell just by those two bands.

Only this week my son has been given a guitar and amp after he said he wanted to learn ,so maybe in ten years time you could help him out when he tours over there ;D ;D ;D

Wow, the Cowboy Junkies are great! And Margo Timmins is a good looking lass too! My fav song of theirs is 'Something more besides you' and their version of the Lou Reed classic ' Sweet Jane'.