Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi Donatello.

Yeah, I ride to/from work several times a week, but my office is less than five miles from my house, so it's not much of a workout. I'll be adding more miles to the route as soon as we finish the rollout of our new services and things return to a less-hectic state, right now I just don't have the energy to do much outside of work... :(

Binge said:
Hi Donatello.

Yeah, I ride to/from work several times a week, but my office is less than five miles from my house, so it's not much of a workout. I'll be adding more miles to the route as soon as we finish the rollout of our new services and things return to a less-hectic state, right now I just don't have the energy to do much outside of work... :(
Hi, Im a CU student in Boulder who cycles quite a bit. By October I hope to have 3000 miles logged since mid May. I love climbing and race when I can, but being an EE major and an avid skier I dont have too much time during the school year to devote to riding.

Binge said:
Hi Donatello.

office, not got the energy.

what i'd give for an office job, i unfortuantely have to work alday in a warehouse, involves either large amounts of walking, lifting, plus i cycle, plus i have an hectic live with children and family commitments.

how can you say that you just ain't got the energy, as for a less hectic state, thats probably more the reason why you should be trying to throw in a few extra miles. nothing better than hitting the road or hills like a lunatic, to help one feel better with all that potential energy, and adrenaline from that days work, that could be put to good use, rather than being left to manifest itself as an illnes.

good luck with the new services by the way

closesupport said:
office, not got the energy.

what i'd give for an office job, i ...work alday in a warehouse,...large amounts of walking, lifting, plus i cycle, plus i have an hectic live with children and family commitments.

how can you say that you just ain't got the energy, ... thats probably more the reason why you should be trying to throw in a few extra miles. nothing better ...to help one feel better ....
Good advice! Working in an office all day is soooo mentally taxing that it can leave one feeling more fatigued than someone who does physical labor all day. When a person exerts a lot of physical energy, sleep somes easily and the mind rests better so if Binge can indulge (pardon the pun) in some sort of workout most days, he'll surely benefit from it just as you've stated.

To Binge: Bob, I'm glad I'm not HIGHLY competetive or your comment about the commute being just under 5 miles and therefore no big deal could make me feel like a slug. I have been riding back and forth to the gym (4 1/2 mi. away) and thought that was pretty good. :rolleyes:

hi all

my name is mike. i live in mystic, connecticut. i'm 30 years old and i ride a trek 750 for commuting, pleasure, and longer rides.. 20-30 miles. to pay the bills i work at a dog day care. eventually id like to get a dedicated road bike and a single speed conversion for around town stuff. very nice board, quite a lot of info here.

Binge said:
Hi Donatello.

NOT MUCH OF A WORKOUT! 5 MILES, THAT CAN BE FUN. HAVE YOU TRYED MASHING TOP GEAR 1 LEGGED INTERVALS, OR SPINNING SMALLER COGS AT 90+MAX, OR ROLLING STARTS, JUMP STARTS OR EVEN STOMPING.

OVER 2 TO 3 MINUTE INTERVALS, THE WEEK COULD HAVE A VARIETY.

LETS PUT IT ONE WAY, I LOOK FORWARD TO GOING TO WORK, I ALSO ENJOY GOING HOME FROM WORK, I SEE WORK AS A REST PERIOD OR EVEN A 7 HOUR STOP GAP FROM CYCLING. PLUS MY RIDE TO WORK SETS ME UP FOR THE DAY.

I FEEL ENERGIZED, CALM AND RELAXED THEN FOCUSED ON MY 10 TO 15MILER OF AN EVENING DEPENDANT ON THE WEATHER.

WHO'S GYM! DOES HE COME ON THE BOARDS.

juf2m said:
Closesupport, I would classify you as a bone fide cycling FANATIC! :eek:

:p
A what, i hope that was a compliment i don't know how to take that?:confused:

thats a good thing apparently, well acording to my partner and my parents, keeps me out the night clubs, keeps me away from drink and drugs, plus the main thing being it keeps me out of trouble, i have had a number of sporting activities / hobbies, but cycling has got to be by far the best.

my partner best describes me after rides as happy euphoric, but miserable when i can't ride, thats why i encorporate short training sessions on my way to work in the mornings and for this the world is a better place to be apart of :D

It was just an observation. :) It's all good. Certainly, I am starting to understand why people become obsessed with cycling, especially as once I get into something, I get REALLY into it.

Having only just started, I can't fathom doing the amount of activity you do. I am impressed with myself if I ride over 2 hours. The number of rides I do has steadily increased as each week goes by, so you never know, I might be just like you in a few years. :D

juf2m said:
It was just an observation. :) It's all good. Certainly, I am starting to understand why people become obsessed with cycling, especially as once I get into something, I get REALLY into it.

Having only just started, I can't fathom doing the amount of activity you do. I am impressed with myself if I ride over 2 hours. The number of rides I do has steadily increased as each week goes by, so you never know, I might be just like you in a few years. :D
what, you mean like me, you mean old! :D serious! i'm the same really. its only days off when the weather permits that i'm off for a longer ride 3 or 4 hours sometimes more, sometimes less of an evening every other day i try to go for an hour 10 - 15 miles just enjoying a little life, since i work hard alnight, this is my time, my space.

i ain't nothing special, i don't race i just ride, i set myself goals and i always try to achieve them, even if it envolves throwing in an extra mile or 2, see my avitar, she is my love and my motivation.

but my partner decides when i need to rest!

what bike do you ride?

I am from Taiwan, and a school teacher in an elementary school. I ride to work on sunny days and hope I'll enjoy riding as you guys do.:)

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)

"I am starting to understand why people become obsessed with cycling, especially as once I get into something, I get REALLY into it."

That sums up my nickname. :D

I'm elated to report that my insane work stuff is over. I met the necessary goals, the service launched yesterday, and to celebrate I went to my LBS and got my new road bike! And pedals. And shoes. And tights for the approaching winter.

It's a Masi Vincere with alum frame/carbon fork, shimano 105 components, xerolite wheels, and salle seat - and I've already put 33km on it. :D (Trying not to overdo things immediately, got a longer ride planned tomorrow with mmpc001)

Obsess much, me? naaah...
B

Wow Bob (Binge,) I'm glad to hear your work schedule has lightened up. That can be so difficult. I can def, relate to obsessing cause when I start into something I wanna eat, sleep and drink it all up and I have to watch my conversation so it doesn't become only about that issue. Guess many people are that way, some just hide it better.

Others have written about their bikes. I feel sooooo embarrassed to tell you all what I ride. Can I say it's a Huffy and not get kicked off the boards or shunned? While I admire the bikes in the store window nearly every time I'm in town and I've read about them and would so love to ride one, for now I have a Huffy 18 speed and a Shwinn unicycle. It's really funny cause my car died to so unless my spouse is home, that's my main mode of transportation. FYI: Two jugs of milk in a backpack is fine until you try and stand to peddle. The shifting of the weight in the pack can be a bit challenging. :)

Binge said:
"I am starting to understand why people become obsessed with cycling, especially as once I get into something, I get REALLY into it."

That sums up my nickname. :D

I'm elated to report that my insane work stuff is over. I met the necessary goals, the service launched yesterday, and to celebrate I went to my LBS and got my new road bike! And pedals. And shoes. And tights for the approaching winter.

It's a Masi Vincere with alum frame/carbon fork, shimano 105 components, xerolite wheels, and salle seat - and I've already put 33km on it. :D (Trying not to overdo things immediately, got a longer ride planned tomorrow with mmpc001)

Obsess much, me? naaah...
B
52 miles or so, how many hours where you riding, 2-3 not bad i guess for a new bike, just remember toc heck everything is tight, spokes and things.

100miles is a bummer on new wheels bottom bracket also, i find that they usually need a tweek around 100 - 150 especially axel bottom brackets not sealed, so go prepared.

Oh. In saying who we are and what we do, it'd be interesting to hear about the thought behind the screenname.
Mine is cause in life I've been stretched much and continue to be, I generally bounce back and can be a bit silly about all of it. (Not stupid silly, just fun.)
and the last two letters are my initials.

sillyputtynq said:
Oh. In saying who we are and what we do, it'd be interesting to hear about the thought behind the screenname.
Mine is cause in life I've been stretched much and continue to be, I generally bounce back and can be a bit silly about all of it. (Not stupid silly, just fun.)
and the last two letters are my initials.
My name comes from my favourite British Airbourne Logitics Tshirt (exercise purple star) Close Support Squadron, My favourite Tshirt. :D

Plus it used to be my screen name on Ghost recon during a period of injury

Virenque said:
Grammar-school student from Ljubljana, Slovenia:)

Het there young "grimpeur", I'm an old man well out of grammar school and still going strong as a cat III racer in France (FFC) Keep rolling and never stop!!!!!!!!!

sillyputtynq said:
Wow Bob (Binge,) I'm glad to hear your work schedule has lightened up. That can be so difficult. I can def, relate to obsessing cause when I start into something I wanna eat, sleep and drink it all up and I have to watch my conversation so it doesn't become only about that issue. Guess many people are that way, some just hide it better.

Others have written about their bikes. I feel sooooo embarrassed to tell you all what I ride. Can I say it's a Huffy and not get kicked off the boards or shunned? While I admire the bikes in the store window nearly every time I'm in town and I've read about them and would so love to ride one, for now I have a Huffy 18 speed and a Shwinn unicycle. It's really funny cause my car died to so unless my spouse is home, that's my main mode of transportation. FYI: Two jugs of milk in a backpack is fine until you try and stand to peddle. The shifting of the weight in the pack can be a bit challenging. :)

It's not the bike you ride that matters, its that you ride a bike that matters!