Where are you from,what do you do?

From the U.S. Training: I am new at this so i only do 20 miles a day. I am hoping though when i get older i will do a 1200k in enough time and beable to get enough money and do RAAM (RACE ACROSS AMERICA) That is actually what I want to do in me cycling.

kingoftheroads said:
From the U.S. Training: I am new at this so i only do 20 miles a day. I am hoping though when i get older i will do a 1200k in enough time and beable to get enough money and do RAAM (RACE ACROSS AMERICA) That is actually what I want to do in me cycling.
Did you ever see how much km per day are doing in RAAM? And the average speed? You must be born "animal" to survive these efforts!

Hey grimpeur, The RAAM is easy. You get 51 days and YOU decide how hard and how muchup to a point. You can choose to race or ride. Rarely need to do more than 160km on a given day. Lots of support, water, and friends.

Fear nothing! GO FOR IT!!!!!
L'ANCIEN

Uhhhhhh what planet are u from. RAAM is voted like #2 most endurance test ever! U might have support but one rule is No helop unless u are at the control. Or like 2 km from the control. If u cheat they have officals everywhere spyin on ya. One way to get in it is doing a 1200k in about 63 hours i htink. It matters how old u are and if u a male or female. U must be thinking of the team one to do raam. It is with the the RAAM guys but that relay. Doin one person riding is different. And in UMCA RULES must have 2 support crews. One that rides behing the rider and one that goes ahead to the control to sleep and get everything ready. ANOTHER UMCA RULE IS THAT THERE SHOULD BE NOOOOOOOOO DRAFTING. I CAN SEE U JUST DO LIKE TOUR DE FRANCE STUFF OF JUST BARELY RIDE. U BECOME A LONG DISTANCE RIDER THANIT HARDER. LANCE I DO GIVE PROPS. THEY RIDE 45 MPH OR FASTER IN A RIDE. tHEIR EASY RIDE IS ABOUT 30 MPH. tHEY DO ONLY ABOUT 130 MILES A DAY BUT I GIVE THEM PRPS ON THEIR HEART RATE AND SPEED. THINK ABOUT THIS. GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH U DOTN JUST DONT STOP AT THE END OF THE SAY AND WAIT TILL MORNING TO GO OR U WILL HAVE TO BE AS A DID NOT FINISH. DURING THE WHOLE THING U GET ONLY ABOUT 5 HOURS ASLEEP IF THAT MUCH. NOT EVERY ONE CAN BE A ULTRA MILLEAGE CYCLING PERSON. BEFORE U TALK TO ME THEN U BETTER GET YO FACTS STRAIGHT. DONTMEAN DO BRAG BUT MY STEP DAD IS COUNTED AS A PRO ULTRA MILLAGE CYCLIST AND LANCE AND THEM GET PAID TO DO WTHAT THEY DO HE HAS BUY EVERYTHING. NOT LANCE. THEIR IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF PRO THING. IF U DO THIS TYPE OF CYCLING THEN UR BETTER OF NOT BEING IN IT FOR RACING CAUSE IT IS HARDER THAN IT LOOKS. UNDER STAND? GOOD.

kingoftheroads said:
Uhhhhhh what planet are u from. RAAM is voted like #2 most endurance test ever! U might have support but one rule is No helop unless u are at the control. Or like 2 km from the control. If u cheat they have officals everywhere spyin on ya. One way to get in it is doing a 1200k in about 63 hours i htink. It matters how old u are and if u a male or female. U must be thinking of the team one to do raam. It is with the the RAAM guys but that relay. Doin one person riding is different. And in UMCA RULES must have 2 support crews. One that rides behing the rider and one that goes ahead to the control to sleep and get everything ready. ANOTHER UMCA RULE IS THAT THERE SHOULD BE NOOOOOOOOO DRAFTING. I CAN SEE U JUST DO LIKE TOUR DE FRANCE STUFF OF JUST BARELY RIDE. U BECOME A LONG DISTANCE RIDER THANIT HARDER. LANCE I DO GIVE PROPS. THEY RIDE 45 MPH OR FASTER IN A RIDE. tHEIR EASY RIDE IS ABOUT 30 MPH. tHEY DO ONLY ABOUT 130 MILES A DAY BUT I GIVE THEM PRPS ON THEIR HEART RATE AND SPEED. THINK ABOUT THIS. GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH U DOTN JUST DONT STOP AT THE END OF THE SAY AND WAIT TILL MORNING TO GO OR U WILL HAVE TO BE AS A DID NOT FINISH. DURING THE WHOLE THING U GET ONLY ABOUT 5 HOURS ASLEEP IF THAT MUCH. NOT EVERY ONE CAN BE A ULTRA MILLEAGE CYCLING PERSON. BEFORE U TALK TO ME THEN U BETTER GET YO FACTS STRAIGHT. DONTMEAN DO BRAG BUT MY STEP DAD IS COUNTED AS A PRO ULTRA MILLAGE CYCLIST AND LANCE AND THEM GET PAID TO DO WTHAT THEY DO HE HAS BUY EVERYTHING. NOT LANCE. THEIR IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF PRO THING. IF U DO THIS TYPE OF CYCLING THEN UR BETTER OF NOT BEING IN IT FOR RACING CAUSE IT IS HARDER THAN IT LOOKS. UNDER STAND? GOOD.

Huh? This old man has been doin it - racing - more on the Lance level han he long distance stuff - occasional PBP over the years and twice across america. Kansas stinks cause of the wind.
I hope the grammar was a joke cuz dem stoop sinz meen done go no ferder.

chow said:
Huh? This old man has been doin it - racing - more on the Lance level han he long distance stuff - occasional PBP over the years and twice across america. Kansas stinks cause of the wind.
I hope the grammar was a joke cuz dem stoop sinz meen done go no ferder.
I'd like to know why he is trying to discourage him, Go for it i say, "if you make it you make, if you don't you don't".

but like the quote below says;

O i am not even close ready to do it. First i am 14. 2nd i am on a mountain bike with road slicks. 3rd. This is my first full year to do cycling. My step dad told me last night that this one guy thought he could do RAAM so he did it. He rode it at his pace a slow pace and he eneded up aking 4 YEARS OFF THE BIKE CAUSE OF RAAM. RAAM IS ALSO WAY TO EXPENSIVE. YOU WOULD NEED UR SPONSOR (IF U HAVE ONE) TO PAY SOME OF IT BUT THEN IT STILL BE PRETTY EXPENSIVE. SPONSORS ONLY PAY FOR SO MUCH IN UMCA. NEXT YEAR MY STEP DAD IS GETING THIS NATIONAL AWARD I THINK IS WHAT IT IS CALLED. MEANS HE IS DOING 4 COUNTRIES AT 1200K OR MORE. HE HAS DONE BMB, PBP, AND ROCKYMOUNTAIN 1200. IN THAT ORDER. HE IS THINKING ABOUT DOING LOUNDON EDNIGBERD LOUNDON NEXT YEAR WITCH THAT IS 1400K. THAT WOULD GIVE HIM 4 COUNTRIES. LATA CYCLISTS.

kingoftheroads said:
O i am not even close ready to do it. First i am 14. 2nd i am on a mountain bike with road slicks. 3rd. This is my first full year to do cycling. My step dad told me last night that this one guy thought he could do RAAM so he did it. He rode it at his pace a slow pace and he eneded up aking 4 YEARS OFF THE BIKE CAUSE OF RAAM. RAAM IS ALSO WAY TO EXPENSIVE. YOU WOULD NEED UR SPONSOR (IF U HAVE ONE) TO PAY SOME OF IT BUT THEN IT STILL BE PRETTY EXPENSIVE. SPONSORS ONLY PAY FOR SO MUCH IN UMCA. NEXT YEAR MY STEP DAD IS GETING THIS NATIONAL AWARD I THINK IS WHAT IT IS CALLED. MEANS HE IS DOING 4 COUNTRIES AT 1200K OR MORE. HE HAS DONE BMB, PBP, AND ROCKYMOUNTAIN 1200. IN THAT ORDER. HE IS THINKING ABOUT DOING LOUNDON EDNIGBERD LOUNDON NEXT YEAR WITCH THAT IS 1400K. THAT WOULD GIVE HIM 4 COUNTRIES. LATA CYCLISTS.
So you intend on following in your fathers footsteps, "admirable."
Just don't get to caught up on the idea, remember schoolwork comes first. No Doubt your father has told you the same, education is so important.

God i wish i'd listened when mine told me when i was younger.

closesupport said:
Just don't get to caught up on the idea, remember schoolwork comes first. No Doubt your father has told you the same, education is so important.

Listen to the above guy! Without the education some much becomes impossible and most of it one doesn't even know they're missing. Between London and Karachi there is a lot of space and to experience it at its fullest, make sure you take your education VERY seriously.
When you express yourself through the written word, you don't have facial expressions and hands to helpyour delivery: the written word, once sent, is who the reader knows you as. Ride,read,read, and then ride again. Don't forget towrite about the experience.
roule bien!

chow said:
Listen to the above guy! Without the education some much becomes impossible and most of it one doesn't even know they're missing. Between London and Karachi there is a lot of space and to experience it at its fullest, make sure you take your education VERY seriously.
When you express yourself through the written word, you don't have facial expressions and hands to helpyour delivery: the written word, once sent, is who the reader knows you as. Ride,read,read, and then ride again. Don't forget towrite about the experience.
roule bien!
roll well^

closesupport said:

A-MEN BROTHER BEN!

My name is Jay, and I'm 32 years old and from Massachusetts. I co-own a BMX / Mountain bike shop and race BMX. Just won the ABA state championship in 31-35 cruiser earlier this month, and I'm pretty psyched about that.

Love to ride mountain, especially in my area because there's a great trail system. Don't get a lot of time to do it between running around to BMX races, training, and family though.

hello, I'm dylan from sydney oz, and i work in the fresh produce dept of a major retail chain. **** pay, great bunch of guys i work with. always a tradeoff tho. if i wave to you make an effort and wave back or have a chat. riding is my second love (or is that third) and i don't pretend to be some psuedo pro with no manners and an attitude, so say g'day. i'll be the one with fluoro orange knicks.:D

I am in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I drive 10 miles, then bike 10 miles to get to work (security at Ohare airport). My previous life was as a floor sander/contractor. Now, perhaps I will do consulting/contracting. I am just getting back into bicycle commuting. It was tough commuting last winter without a fairing. I hope to get a recumbent with a good fairing and perhaps a body sock for this winter. Eventually a velomobile?

hi folks, i am from bonny scotland, i do mountain biking but next year im turning my hand to road racing, i am a technical support engineer aswell ( thats my boring side tho):)

Where London

What Database support for an investment bank

Recently got back into cycling to beat London's decaying public transport system

martinxc04 said:
hi folks, i am from bonny scotland, i do mountain biking but next year im turning my hand to road racing, i am a technical support engineer aswell ( thats my boring side tho):)
you want to get yourself down to the velodrome in edinburgh during the winter. probably the nearest place for you to help keep you up to speed during the winter months.

mjbailey said:
Where London

What Database support for an investment bank

Recently got back into cycling to beat London's decaying public transport system
i can't think of a better or faster way to beat traffic, i cycle during rushour here, i'd hate to have to drive in it, and its probably 10x worse in london.

Reduced my commute time from 60 minutes (walk/bus/train/walk) to 35 min (current pb). A nice little bonus is that my waistline has shrunk 2 inches and my weight dropped by 10kg which has improved my squash game no end. Just go to avoid those extended buses on London's narrow roads.

Hi,

I'm from Kfar-Sava, a town near Tel-Aviv in Israel. I cycle mostly road but sometime off-road, too. During the week I commute to work (15km each way) and occasionally I take an alternative longer route 50-60 km. On weekends and holidays I cycle - well, as much as possible :) - about 200 km. My greatest cycling adventure so far in Israel has been cycling all along the country, north to south, without sleep - 560 km in 25 hours & 20 minutes, last November. I will attempt to break my record later this month. This is known as the ultimate road cycling challenge of the country.

ItsikH said:
Hi,

I'm from Kfar-Sava, a town near Tel-Aviv in Israel. I cycle mostly road but sometime off-road, too. During the week I commute to work (15km each way) and occasionally I take an alternative longer route 50-60 km. On weekends and holidays I cycle - well, as much as possible :) - about 200 km. My greatest cycling adventure so far in Israel has been cycling all along the country, north to south, without sleep - 560 km in 25 hours & 20 minutes, last November. I will attempt to break my record later this month. This is known as the ultimate road cycling challenge of the country.
Your mad aren't you. eating on the move, drinking on the move, urinating and deficating on the move, now sleeping on the move... ohhh no, i know my limits, and thats far beyond mine.

I take it that you aren't unfamiliar with the word bandage and the turms road rash, maybe one day i'll try something similar, i always wondered what those aerobars where for on my bike, Yes! i think i have cracked it eventually, its where my pillow is supposed to go.