Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Karbac

Karbac New Member

Greetings from NE Ohio USA

I'm a long time roadie, occasional tourist, former club rider, and a retiree.

2. azzabaron

azzabaron New Member

from melbourne,aus
    just learning to swim and hoping to do a small tri in the new year
    any tips?

azzabaron

3. markatrivm

markatrivm New Member

Hi Ray

Great track picture!! Is that you or what??:)
    Thanks for the tip. Loosescrews is a very nice link (that you cannot find with just using Google). I check out eBay once in a while, but the complete forks I saw are in America, and will probably give problems with shipping to Holland.
    I tried to find a new fork to replace my MAG21, which is impossible because of the lengths. But the old MAG is not bad at all (maybe a bit too much stiction) and is very light for an old fork (thanks to the air). As I still love my old bike I will take the trouble of finding parts. ;)

Mark

4. Morthane

Morthane New Member

I was born and raised in Salem, Oregon and am currently going to college in Klamath Falls. Haven't been a real serious rider, but I hope to change that a little.;)

5. High Gear

High Gear New Member

Hi, if you go over to Roadbikereview (follow the link below) and post a question for "boneman" I'm sure he can help you. He is from the states but has been there for some time. Good Luck

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

6. DAVWOD

DAVWOD New Member

Hi , You must excuse me if this goes wrong , it's the first time i have done this sort of thing and I dont want to ask my son for help, I'm from sunny Britain
    and as Cycling is and is my Life I thought it would be kind of nice to chat to other guys etc. I started cycling at 27 yrs and comming upto 50 yrs next yr
    I am training as hard as ever and help to run a club called The Newcastle
    Racing Club 2001 ( yr formed ) we have around 30 members and I guss I'm the most experienced road racer in the club , although I'm neary 50 , my doctor
    (i have a medical each yr just inn case) says I have a body of a 20yr old
    but a face of a road map!! I can'tr get out training every day but cover around
    150 k a week.

Dave .....

7. M.J.

M.J. New Member

Shayla

lots of riding here in London - drop me a line when you want to discuss - best is a PM here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

8. tricycle13

tricycle13 New Member

What up cycling world!

I'm a social worker from good old 'Beantown' U.S.A., that's Boston for all you non-yankees out there. I'm a recreational road/mountain biker looking to drop a ton of weight over the course of this next year. Any advice out there?

Go RED SOX!!!

9. pokerpete

pokerpete New Member

Hello Ben,
    Thanks, got your second message also. OK off we go then. Tell me what would be a typical week in August on your bike. I know you're off school at that time. Tell me your typical mileage, and what way did you plan out the week. Do a daily diary for me. Did you go out with the club on Sundays, or training runs with them. We won't bother with what you did last winter, it's not that important now. Because you are beginning a new phase, and you have a different mindset now. That's why we are mapping out a new programme. You have to start at this time of the year and build a foundation.
    Don't bother with weights yet. Oh yes, have you got any mates in your club about the same age as you who want to improve? I always found that made the foundations of camaraderie, a bit of ribbing and some half wheeling.
    And if it's raining on Sundays you still have to go out. Character building is all part of it, not sitting on a turbo watching TV.
    All the best for now.
    Pete

10. pokerpete

pokerpete New Member

I've heard that social workers carry a lot of baggage. It sounds to me that you are a serial eater if your still a fat arse after the summer. Best to give the food a swerve. Compulsive reward eater are we? Outlook, getting grimmer. This site is for cyclists not Haagen Daz. Anyway I've seen a programme about the eateries in Boston, and I liked it but not as much as you obviously do.

11. boneman

boneman New Member

If you're going to be living out to the West of the West End, etc. most people head out to Richmond Park which is, surprise, in Richmond. You might want to drop a line to the people at Sigma Sports in Kingston, a great bike shop, as they sponsor a team with Cat 1 and the like riders. I see a lot of their team and employees in Richmond park as it's also a way of getting to the shop. www.sigmasports.co.uk will get you to their home page. also post under general discussions in roadbikereview.com. There are a number of posters who live in and around London.

Good news is that despite the time of year, you can ride all through the year as it town, it's only dropped under freezing twice (this is at 6am when I get up for a ride) in 6 years. If you ride tubs, leave them at home at this place is the worst in the World when it comes to broken glass. I've lived and ridden all year round in NYC and Boston so trust me on this one.

They say it rains a lot, it can and it might. It rarely rains for prolonger periods or in heavy amounts. It just rains daily or so it seems. If you're from LA, bring a couple of LS jerseys and tights. Arm, knee and leg warmers as well. Don't forget the gloves if you have them. I've been in LA more than a few times looking for UK winter type gear and it's not always available. Gloves and overshoes (booties) come in a great variety and you can always find them at Condor in London or Geoff Butler in Croydon, a 20 minute train ride out of London. Parker International and Wiggle are good places to mail order.

Nothing's cheap in London compared to LA, especially bike gear except for tires. Let me know if you need more. High Gear turned me onto your post over on the rbr site as I usually don't visit this site, for reasons I can't even fathom. Ah, I see MJ's responded. Another rbr poster who I had the pleasure of meeting for a few pints a couple of months ago. You're in good hands.

12. szbert

szbert New Member

I am from here. I read forums.

13. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Hello....

Well looks like your post worked dave no need for help from your son, good morning, afternoon; whatever time of day it is there now. i'm in sunny britain too, not quite so far up north though, manchester, hopefully you'll beable to offer us all a little of your experiences and advice at somepoint.

Chris

14. pokerpete

pokerpete New Member

I don't know why you posted me on this one. I don't even come from this area, but Boneman is absolutely right on all the advice he has given. I will guarantee that. Never mind Richmond Park, get riding on the lumpy bits of the North and South Downs and the beautiful leg bending terrain. Have a few pints of real ale and enjoy yourself. It's a beautiful part of our country.

15. drean

drean New Member

A big factor involved is your age - but everything can be overcome.
    I used to be a lean mean cycling/running machine. While I wasn't looking I turned 30, had 3 boys, a lovely wife that loves to cook, my own stressfull business and enough money to buy the greatest take-aways to fit in my hectic schedule. My ideal weight is 78 kg's - the scale told me it's 96 kg's about a month ago (on a frame of 1.84m) and lets face it I couldn't replace my entire wardrobe! It actually had gotten to a stage that I couldn't get on my MTB to ride outside cause my cycling clothes didn't fit (and in South Africa everything costs an arm & a leg)

I bought a magnetic trainer (yeah, yeah I know that fluid is better), started cutting on all fats, ate a lot of raw vegetables, divided my meals into six a day (used to be one gigantic one at night) and got my fat ass on my bike. There is a lot of conflicting theories out there about how to cycle to lose weight - different strokes for different folks.

I train now six days a week, for at least an hour, irrespective of distance, I do 4 x interval days a week (4 x 90% efforts in an hour of 2 minutes each) and the rest of the time I spend in Zone 3 (75 - 82%).

So far from the 6th of September I have gone from 96kg to 87kg (a lot is probably fluid) and my clothes fit around the waist, but is tighter in the legs. I also know from past experience that Bill Phillips uses Cardio training (also intervals) in conjunction with weight training with astounding results. But 1 x three month session is almost too much for a cyclist (you put on muscle - a lot!)

Just check your heartrate for too much strain - it can be dangerous, I don't think it will work for most people - it just happened to work for me.

Are there any opinions on this out there - I wouldn't like to kill myself, but I seem to be able to hold to this program without any aches, pains or excessive fatigue.

Drean du Preez
    LIFE HAS MANY CHOICES, ETERNITY ONLY TWO.

16. KayEm

KayEm New Member

Hi all,
    Just joined so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a Brit living in Germany, enjoying the many miles of (mostly) well kept cycle tracks around the southern Dutch border. Eagerly awaiting the imminent delivery of my early Christmas prezzie, a 2005 model Cannondale R700. If anyone lives my way, I'm the one wearing lycra who isn't over 50.
    TTFN

17. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

Seems to me you're on the right track, the figures are excellent - it's definitely more than just fluids. It's a good thing you started on time. Just keep up the same program, I can't think of anything better. Good luck!

18. pokerpete

pokerpete New Member

Why on earth did you pick on me? I suppose you are BFPO. I'm not bothered about Lycra. Do you wear sensible knickers? It's most important, the best riders wear padded shorts, and not thongy thingys. Try long johns, bloody good for horse riding as well.
    That should get rid of you.

19. college kid

college kid New Member

I am a student studying industrial design at the college for creative studies, in Detroit, Michigan. 23 hours of my day are spent drawing and researching, the other hour is spent riding my bike around downtown.

20. corperatewhore

corperatewhore New Member

I live in sacramento, ca. I ride mt. mostly all mountain with a little bit of hardcore bombing.

I was riding a piece of wang Fuji Cromoly frame that I got for about 100 bucks but I had full xt on it (8spd) and a 2000 marzocchi drop off on it.

it was stolen

anywho, I work for SportChalet (thus my forum name) in the bike department and I am trying to save up a bit of money so I can purchase a Cannondale prophet.

I am getting a 05 marin nailtrail to hold me over.