Where are you from,what do you do?

JenJen said:
Seattle, WA checking in here. It was chilly this morning- 32 degrees and foggy. I fill my time between rides with commercial real estate. There's nothing like a flexible schedule!
I lived on the West Coast and loved it the moutains the ocean, the animals. Beatiful.Kim

I'm from Syracuse, NY. Two years to go before I retire. I commute by bike as often as possible, averaging 20 miles per day. The snow should be flying soon. I don't mind 25 F+ weather, but avoid hazardous conditions. After more than 30 years of riding, I was hit by a car on 11/1/04. The guy turned left into me in an intersection, crossing my path. I didn't have time to brake. I avoided his frontend and hit the side of his car. The bike was totaled (Tommasini). I was luckier. :)

Bikerbill98 said:
I'm from Syracuse, NY. Two years to go before I retire. I commute by bike as often as possible, averaging 20 miles per day. The snow should be flying soon. I don't mind 25 F+ weather, but avoid hazardous conditions. After more than 30 years of riding, I was hit by a car on 11/1/04. The guy turned left into me in an intersection, crossing my path. I didn't have time to brake. I avoided his frontend and hit the side of his car. The bike was totaled (Tommasini). I was luckier. :)
Awesome guy! Never been hit by a car, thank god. I have walking but not on my bike.Kimberly

Kimberly said:
Awesome guy! Never been hit by a car, thank god. I have walking but not on my bike.Kimberly
I don't know how awesome I am, but I do know I am fortunate to have been spared a life threatening impact. By turning as much as I could I struck the side of the guys car which resulted in a glancing instead of a blunt impact. Flying through the air about 15 feet. I landed on my left hip and rolled to my feet. Thank God there was no additional oncoming traffic. Another driver waiting to make a turn on to the road was my witness. He just happened to be the Chief of the local fire department. He asked me if I needed an EMT and called the police. He gave me his card and said he saw the accident developing and the other driver was at fault. I was well aware of that, to say the least. My first thought was to tear this guys head off, but quickly composed myself as this guy was extremly apologetic. I don't know if he would of stopped if the Chief wasn't in his official car. All is well that ends well. The guys insurance company should be sending me a check for $3000.00 soon to cover my bike.

Bikerbill98 said:

Bikerbill:

Drivers are idiots and your accident just affirms that statement. I've been riding motorcycles for years on the open road but everytime I ride my bicycle I have more close calls. Drivers do not respect cyclists and this is no lie but they actually think that there is nothing wrong coming close to you even though a slight move on their part could crush you.

Plus even when that scenario plays out in plain sight of a police officers even they do nothing to site those drivers. I've always thought and I still do that cyclist should have their own path in and around cities and towns regardless of the size of town. We are constantly put in harms way as long as we have to share the roads with cars.

Don't get me started! ;)
David

Bikerbill98 said:

Bikerbill:

Drivers are idiots and your accident just affirms that statement. I've been riding motorcycles for years on the open road but everytime I ride my bicycle I have more close calls. Drivers do not respect cyclists and this is no lie but they actually think that there is nothing wrong coming close to you even though a slight move on their part could crush you.

Plus even when that scenario plays out in plain sight of a police officers even they do nothing to site those drivers. I've always thought and I still do that cyclist should have their own path in and around cities and towns regardless of the size of town. We are constantly put in harms way as long as we have to share the roads with cars.

Don't get me started! ;)
David

Dave, I don't disagree with your sence of drivers. We all are at risk. A bike lane would be nice, but I have my druthers. Most places that have bike paths are segragating cyclist to cater to cars. In those cities where bike paths etc are available, drivers tend to expect you to use them. I prefer the road. I can see it in some cities, but space isn't always available (ie NYC). I acturally like riding in traffic in NYC. Call me crazy. I see your'e from Mesa, AZ. Syracuse, NY only has bike lanes around the University. The rest of the town isn't set up for it (parking et al). Besides, when I ride I take the lane on multilaned highways. I seldom give drivers the op to take my lane. Because NY is an ag state, I have all the country roads one could want to ride w/o worrying about cars. The kid that hit me was in a hurry (what else). I always make eye contact with drivers and make an effort to get their attention. But I looked down to avoid two manholes and there he was making his turn into me. Talk about luck though. The Chief of the fire department was my witness and the cop that gave me a ride home was a biker.

Hi,

Software Engineer, 28yo male, originally from America but living
in Tokyo now. This summer tried a friend's bike for the first
time since I was like 8 years old, fell in love, and am now cycling
the 8km to work every day. It's faster and infinitely more pleasant
than taking the train, though Tokyo traffic is insane and taxis and
their automatic doors are evil :mad:

Hello, My name is Ted(Paleale). Just purchased and assembled an Actionbent suspended Roadrunner. Heard about Actionbent through this forum. With the great help of member John G. managed to assemble the bike without instructions as the CD is useless(could not translate from Chinese). First ride on the SWB was nothing less than horror. But managed to get 10 miles in. That was Friday. Today(Sunday) managed 14 miles. All hills,up going out, down coming back. The SWB is proving to be a challenge but seem to be getting the hang of it. Would'nt ride it in traffic however. My rides are in a rural area with little traffice. Thank goodness or I think I'ld be flat. The bike seems to have a mind of its own. All in all, the bike was a great buy and a good ride. Comfort galore, much better than my diamond frame, and a great workout as it's a definite peddle going uphill.

pwrchip said:
Bikerbill:

Don't get me started! ;)
David
Thats crazy, I agree we should have our own roads. That would be sweet.Kimberly

Kimberly said:
Thats crazy, I agree we should have our own roads. That would be sweet.Kimberly
Nice, but not practical. I commute and there are no bike paths or enough road for bike lanes throughout the city. Then there is a question of goods and services. Many of the rails to trails projects are off the beaten trail in uninhabited areas. Nice for a day ride, but not practical for a commuter. I bet your bike shop isn't on a bike path? Until our civic planners redesign roadways, be very visible and aggressive on the road. Oh, and never trust the guy behind the wheel unless his car is turned off, the parking brake is on and the wheellock security bar is in place. ;)

I'm currently in Southern New Mexico, originally from central Canada. Mainly a mountain biker, now part roadie. I took a ~5 year hiatus from riding and started back off-road last year and just completed my first 111 mile road tour in 5:15. I'm hoping to pick the brains of more seasoned riders on tech and training from this forum.

p.s. I'm looking at a De Rossi road frame with Campy Record components. I don't know anything about De Rossi. Any guidance?:confused:

Soundrunner said:
I'm currently in Southern New Mexico, originally from central Canada. Mainly a mountain biker, now part roadie. I took a ~5 year hiatus from riding and started back off-road last year and just completed my first 111 mile road tour in 5:15. I'm hoping to pick the brains of more seasoned riders on tech and training from this forum.

p.s. I'm looking at a De Rossi road frame with Campy Record components. I don't know anything about De Rossi. Any guidance?:confused:
I can't say much a De Rossi other comparing notes from other riders. I wasn't entralled. I ride a Tommasini which you can view at www.Tommasini.com I ride steel given my girth. If you like the traditional steel feeling, its the way to go. They have other frame types too. Tommasini had a good market in the States years ago. Don't know what happened. They always had nice finishes.

I am in Napa, Ca and work for Napa Bike tours and we are all really into riding I am a Roadie and my for my bosses one is a Road biker and one is a Mt biker.

Napa California and we are a Bicycle rental and touring company I am a Road rider and the mechanic and one of my bosses is a Roadie and the other is a mt biker.

I live in Oakland. I mostly bike for commuting. Lately I have become very fed up with my yard sale mountain bike. The front deraileur is broken, the rear one doesnt match the gears, so I only get 3 of 5 gears, and now the crank fell off!
So I am building a bike from scratch for the first time. I will be around picking brains and kvetching about tools I wish I had. (like a headset press?)
I have a neat specialized frame. Some brahma handlebars and some alvio cranks to start. any suggestions?

Hi all i'm new here and just wanted to say hi to all.

I'm an amatuer cyclist and just ride for fun around thailand.

Not new to forums and run my own on a very different subject

Im from Parañaque Philippines,my boyfriend wants to buy a 2nd hand GYRO HELMET and CARBON SITPOST pls help us.:confused:

Hi,

I'm from Sydney, Australia. Just go back into cycling after 20 years. The bug bit me when I went mountain bike riding in the Rockies. Bought a fs bike and now going to put together a hardtail for commuter and general use. Can't wait to ride every weekend since getting back home.

Cheers
Al