Where are you from,what do you do?

Just wanted to say hello, I am a 26 year old triathlete from Tallahassee Florida who has just registered to this forum. Howdy yall

Hello cycling world: My name is darthkeys. I am 37 years old. I grew up in the black hills of south dakota. I now live in omaha, nebraska. until about 10 years ago i did a lot of mountain biking and road riding. never any racing. about 10 years ago i got into bodybuilding. at present I am 6 foot 1 and 225lbs, with about 10% bodyfat. I am thinking about getting into road racing. I would like to get my bodyfat down and improve my endurance. First of all, is the amount of muscle that i am carrying going to be a problem. I really don't want to loose it and would like to continue to weight train,while i am cycling. could someone please give me some tips as for as diet and training for racing. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,

darthkeys

Hi
Roadie from Kingston, Ontario, Canada new to forum. I liked the talking muffin jokes. The bike is on the trainer for the winter, swimming may start soon, and I am hoping to upgrade my frame before the start of next season and get a LOOK, but which one?
Cheers.

Darthkeys, coincindentaly I have a similar profile, but 6'2" and 53. I ride between 4000 and 5000 miles a year and lift. Part of my riding is commuting (to work, the club and home), which includes 20 mpd. Don't have to do cardio at the club since I ride. So I ride and workout for about 60 to 90 minutes if I'm not Bsing. It is definitly doable. You just don't want to tire yourself out. I restrict a workout to one muscle group per session (ie arms, back, chest and shoulders ..). Thus I only work an area every four to five days. You have to take what you can from each activity. Being heavier doesn't make you faster on the bike, but the strength I gain from lifting and riding improves my quality of life, especially at 53. In addition, for every mile you ride you save .38/mile (do the math) which you can spend on a REAL nice go fast bike (after you buy the little woman some more gold). :) For some reason she thinks me spending over 3 grand on a bike means she should have more jewelry. Go figure.

I'm from New Zealand and I am a night nurse in a Rest Home. I came upon this site while looking for information about 'gastric bypass' surgery as I am now 4 weeks post-op and am interested in gathering as much info on this subject as possible. Thanks.:)

I moved to Davis CA, from Moab UT to be with my sweetie. I ride one or more of my seven bicycles every day. On week days I join my fellow retireees in the Davis Bike Club for a ride and coffee.

My current favorite bicycle is my Surly Karate Monkey, weighing in at a whoppin' thirty eight pounds (with some tools, front and rear racks and 2.1 tires). It's a great training bike, giving me a sufficiant handicap with the old men or my girlfriend on or off road. It's set up with drops, STI, avid discs, a winwood coil fork, and old man mountian racks. It has a 48-12 and a 22-34 with 170 cranks. I can't wait to go far from it all on it...

I live in S.F. San Francisco. Someone gave me a set of rims that are pretty cool looking. Ended up building a bicycle around them and having a lot of problems. Everytime I Googled looking for help I came upon something in this forum that was immensley helpful. So I decided to join.
Now I have a Bicycle (Surly Steamroller) and have joined this group.
Let the good times roll.

I am an art director in a design firm in Sherman Oaks, CA USA.

I have been mountain biking for about 3 years. I want to get into road bikes, but I have a ton of questions so I joined this place looking for some quality help.

I look forward to chatting it up with you peeps.

MJ

I live in Colchester England and I am planning to cycle through france next year - north to south - 1000km.

I have owned various bikes for 40 odd years but never cycled more than 40 km in one day and that was some years ago, although I have been out some mornings this year doing 30km.

I intend to start proper training in new year and would be pleased to receive any advice regarding best type of bike, routes, equipment etc.

I know France well having spent many holidays there and will generally follow river valleys and camp or stay in hotels.

Am considering buying a hybrid type of bike,and maybe averaging 80km. per day, but also want to enjoy France rather than it being a hard slog and will have three weeks.

Any helpful advice welcomed.

[email protected]

My name is Adam, I'm living in Kamloops, British Columbia. I've just started riding and I am a business student and Landscaper.

Hello, I am from East Tennessee, just turned 52, have been biking (roadie) for about 15 years and work at a hospital in the computer field. Greetings!
I am currently building up a Look KX Light with all carbon materials, including the Campy Record group and Eurus wheels. Hope to have it ready by next Spring. It's been a year-long project. :)

I'm from Laval West, Quebec Canada, it's about 20 minutes from Montréal. I work for a major airline, and I am smoke-free for 1 day now........woohoooo!!!!

Gary B

Dryden39 said:
I'm from Laval West, Quebec Canada, it's about 20 minutes from Montréal. I work for a major airline, and I am smoke-free for 1 day now........woohoooo!!!!

Gary B
by smoke free do you mean you quit smoking?
if so , congrats, if not congrats.(do you mean your company has gone smoke free?)
i quit smoking nearly 3 years ago... got on a bike last spring for the first time in 10 years. joined a cycling club and rode about 3000 km this year, mostly road with some mtb, im just east of toronto by the way.so bonjour!

Bikerbill98 said:
I don't know how awesome I am, but I do know I am fortunate to have been spared a life threatening impact. By turning as much as I could I struck the side of the guys car which resulted in a glancing instead of a blunt impact. Flying through the air about 15 feet. I landed on my left hip and rolled to my feet. Thank God there was no additional oncoming traffic. Another driver waiting to make a turn on to the road was my witness. He just happened to be the Chief of the local fire department. He asked me if I needed an EMT and called the police. He gave me his card and said he saw the accident developing and the other driver was at fault. I was well aware of that, to say the least. My first thought was to tear this guys head off, but quickly composed myself as this guy was extremly apologetic. I don't know if he would of stopped if the Chief wasn't in his official car. All is well that ends well. The guys insurance company should be sending me a check for $3000.00 soon to cover my bike.

Bikerbill,
Maybe you could get a better deal. I got Tee boned in '99 and my bike totalled. Shopping around for replacement costs to submit to her insurer's I was made an offer by one shopowner who ran with it. He opened negotiations directly with the insurers (he haggled) and Iscored mea far better bike than I would ever have by simply taking the cheque.
Maybe you could get someone to try this - just an idea.
Roddo

Hi, I'm Shubho from New Delhi, India.
Am in advertising.
Go off to the Himalayas (Ladakh, etc.) once a year. 36k rides daily when I'm training (I'm not, now - daughter was ill till recently and was also snowed under w work). Have run 2 marathons.
Gotta get back on track with a little help from friends like you.

hey! i just move to athens
nice places to ride (mountain)
solo rider for now in athens
anybody in this area?

Hi all coming at you from chilly dundee, scotland
what do I do, well during work hours as little as poss

have been cycling for ------- years
also take spin classes at local leisure centre
have roadies and mounties in class for hard sessions

Hi guys, I'm Marco from Puerto Rico. I'm in my middle 30's,work as a group manager and do some welding as a hobby.I rode BMX in my teens, went back to it with my son and i haven't stopped since.Since all tracks are outdoors they get beat up by the weather so 2 years ago i got into mtb also.Got the recumbent craze recently aand i made a tadpole trike and a very low riding two wheeler.As long as it's got wheels and pedals i'll ride it!